Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why did my flood gate get washed away??  (Read 3834 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Why did my flood gate get washed away??
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 04:32:30 am »

I found an old reddit thread on google, that suggests the problem occurs because a single loose stone (formed from digging out the last tile) is pushed by the magma into the floodgate and the !physics! destroys (deconstructs) the floodgate and its mechanism, even tho the floodgate is open.
I only use floodgates for my magma and water. An item can stop them from closing but will not deconstruct them. The only deconstruction I had was due to an accidental use of non-magma safe material.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 06:57:12 pm »

The only wild guess I have left to make is that maybe somehow the code got borked and it also takes the lever (and/or mechanism used to link the lever) material into consideration? What material did you make te lever you used to link the floodgate out of?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 08:05:27 pm »

The levers themselves I made with the same material as the floodgate (color coordination ftw) but yes indeed, the mechanisms IN the levers were siltstone as I was short on magma-safe mechanisms and had other plans right around the corner. 

I linked one lever to one gate or grate, there was no accidentally installing extra mechanisms in the floodgate nonsense.  Very straightforward construction of my lava-channel (other than digging it too wide).

Pages: 1 [2]