Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New playable race help needed  (Read 1244 times)

Nefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New playable race help needed
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:46:00 pm »

Hello, i'm a big fan of D&D Duergars (Dark Dwarves). i was trying to create a similiar version of them here, but sadly i don't really understand much on how to mod Dwarf Fortress.

I followed the guide on the wiki step by step. I created the creature txt, modified the entity txt and made sure the entity has the [SITE _CONTROLLABLE] [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] and [ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE] tags.

I really do not know what i did wrong or if the wiki is outdated for the current version. The only changes from the standard dwarves are minimal. Different skin color, longer lifespan, added [EVIL] and [NOCTURNAL] tag, different [SELECT_SYMBOL] - [CULL_SYMBOL].

In the entity.txt i just changed some values (hate peace and nature) and ethics only (like torture and other evil-related stuff)

Any idea where i screwed up? I'm using the Lazy Newb Pack btw, with Obsidian graphics.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New playable race help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 10:15:17 pm »

What went wrong? Do they just not generate with a new world? If you post your creature and entity raws, soneone will be able to point out where you've gone wrong.

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 05:21:55 am »

I'm attemlting to do the same thing with d&d Illithids! Though sadly since we can't make embarks land in the caverns, I am making their settlements in tropical regions for the moist conditions.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 06:15:07 am »

If it crashes since you added more symbols, try removing UNTOWARD.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Nefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 12:24:10 pm »

Great news, i the duergars successfully spawned in my world and i'm playing currently playing as them.

I honestly do not know what i did wrong the first time around. I deleted the file, and followed the guide again. I think it was because of the token [LIKES_FIGHTING]. From what i understand it was removed and i didn't know.

I'm attemlting to do the same thing with d&d Illithids! Though sadly since we can't make embarks land in the caverns, I am making their settlements in tropical regions for the moist conditions.

Ah! good luck with your project. I had difficulties in trying to basically recolor the normal dwarves and give them a new name, can't imagine how hard it will be to give Illithids all of their features (especially the fact that they are  hermaphrodites). Sadly you're right, you can't embark directly in a cavern, but you can still build some spectacular Underdark themed cities if you max Cavern Opennes and lower Density.

If it crashes since you added more symbols, try removing UNTOWARD.

I heard of UNTOWARD causing crashes and that's exactly why i didn't add it in the first place. And also because i don't want my civilization to be called something stupid like "Anus *insert something here*"