Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pedestal missing  (Read 2085 times)

PIB76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
pedestal missing
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:09:38 pm »

Hi all,
I cannot construct a pedestal because it is not listed in the carpenter's workshop, do you have any idea why?
Thanks

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: pedestal missing
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 03:22:27 pm »

Hi all,
I cannot construct a pedestal because it is not listed in the carpenter's workshop, do you have any idea why?
Thanks
Some of the graphics packs forgot to include the new pedestal raws when they updated. That seems to be the main cause of missing pedestals.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 04:44:07 pm »

The other main reason is upgrading a fortress from a pre 0.44.01 version. Those fortresses do not get pedestals or display cases either.

PIB76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 05:33:19 pm »

so the only way is to start again the fortress with another graphic pack?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 05:41:46 pm »

so the only way is to start again the fortress with another graphic pack?
You can add the missing raws tags manually by comparing files with vanilla (probably just entity_default.txt, I think). But that doesn't always work without a world regen. So, yeah, basically you're stuck with no pedestals.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 08:24:43 pm »

ASCII master race.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 09:41:05 pm »

ASCII master race.

Ascii! Ascii! Urist fhtagn!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 10:10:23 pm »

Here's some powerful magic that can update your save to the latest version: 

If you upgrade your save only some of the new feature will be introduced, while some won't make it. You won't get any world gen artifacts, as your world didn't generate them, for instance. Apart from that you won't get access to Pedestals and Display Cases. Those are the things I know of, but there may very well be other things you'll miss out on.

I have been able to make a world DF2017 ready, including forcing in Pedestals and Display Cases. You have to use the development tools to inject the raws, and make sure your game is backed up on the way.

Relevant Posts:
The command line inputs: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161271.msg7652528#msg7652528
Changes to devel/inject-raws script that may be needed: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123.msg7652859#msg7652859

Order for updating a no-mods game:
1) Backup.
2) Replace Raws with DF2017 ones.
3) Load save, use
Code: [Select]
devel/inject-raws tool ITEM_TOOL_PEDESTAL tool ITEM_TOOL_DISPLAY_CASE4) Immediately save without unpausing.
5) Reload game, enter code
Code: [Select]
devel/inject-raws reaction "MAKE WOODEN DISPLAY CASE"6) Immediately save again without unpausing.
7) Load game. If it loads without problems, you should be ready to go.

As noted, entities will have to produce their artefacts over time in the game (so over a few years or so), and you'll have to wait a while for the entities to make use of the new functionalities.

Edit: You also have to copy over the new raws, and make relevant changes if you are on a mod. If no mods, just copy over the new raws and afterwards do the raw injection.

I did petition to have an autoupdate feature in the LNP given the success in updating worlds, but apparently it is quite difficult (and will be very OS-specific too).