Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catching elfs  (Read 1001 times)

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
Catching elfs
« on: January 13, 2018, 11:11:53 am »

Step 1. Surround your trade depot with cage traps. Step 2. Waite till spring arrives and those hippie merchants come. Step 3. Once those idiotic hippies are fully inside your trade depot, clear all your dwarfs from the area. Step 4. Pick a squad to attack the elves. Step 5. At least one of the elves should fall into the trap.KILL THE REST.

Thank you enjoy! - shadow dragon 

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
Re: Catching elfs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 02:47:30 pm »

Any thoughts on how to maximize elfnapping? 

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 02:52:49 pm »

You want to maximize elf capture, right?

Firstly, get as many cage traps set up as possible obviously. Can't have elves getting away.
Secondly, you may lose elves due to dwarves murdering them. Can't have this, so minimise squad lethality. This could involve having very few warriors go out, or having warriors with poor weapons and weapon skills.
Thirdly, you don't want to actually lose dwarves, so the best bet seems to be dwarves with weak weapons but good shields, armor, and evasive skills.

Wooden weapons are possibly less dangerous than bare fists, especially if the warriors are using weapons they haven't practiced with. Alternately, wooden crossbows with no bolts, or better yet, bone crossbows, will hit like wet noodles.
I
One wheel short of a wagon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 03:54:23 pm »

You ought to use a cave in trap to maximize capture

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 04:36:33 pm »

or just release the giant cave spiders on top of the elves and cage traps. Or wait, does AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE also make GCS not attack elves? My elf citizen worked fine as silkfarm bait, not sure about real elfy elves
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 05:20:54 pm »

It's only elf civs that are [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE]. Individual elves, if belonging to a human or dwarven nation, are as vulnerable to attack by wild animals as any other race.

EDIT: Though after re-reading your post, I'm now guessing you already knew that.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:29:35 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 02:28:05 am »

Not dwarfy enough. 

Put in two paths to your Trade Depot, one direct, one that is dwarvenly long and is floored everywhere with cage traps, and is sectioned off by many doors and bridges.  Once the elves go in, close off the direct path with a drawbridge and open the long path.  As they leave, use the doors and drawbridges to seperate one from the party.  Attack that elf with a squad of one dwarf in good armor with an ineffective weapon.  Now that all the elves are enemies, open and shut the various drawbridges getting them to path back and forth in your trapped entryway until they are all captured. 

When they eventually die, be sure to decorate statues with their bones and use those to line the entrance to your fort. 

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 03:13:06 am »

If you strip them and chain the elves are they still counted as hostile?
I'm just asking for scientific reasons...