Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: From the News: Kea disturb a construction site repeatedly, get "gym"  (Read 1893 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can this please https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/southland/kea-get-gym-distract-them-road-cones be a feature?

The Giant Kea are my constant terror.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: From the News: Kea disturb a construction site repeatedly, get "gym"
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 07:45:43 pm »

For all we poke fun, Keas are frighteningly intelligent.  And being omnivorous, they have no issue with biting chunks out of live prey.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 08:35:41 pm »

This is an excellent chance to make traps and cages and have your fortress be a Giant Kea aerie. I recommend doing so.

On the other hand, you could make an accessible stockpile for the Kea to bother while you keep your major supplies somewhere else. Think of it like a sacrifice.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 04:19:19 am »

I built a large surface castle above my fort. I put a large room under the courtyard, in the first soil layer, to store all my stone blocks for easy construction.  The giant kea were far more interested in that room and stealing a few blocks, than entering my expansive trap filled entry zone.  Worst I got was a bit of stockpile cancellations due to kea interruptions.

I consider myself lucky.

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 10:12:36 pm »

I built a large surface castle above my fort. I put a large room under the courtyard, in the first soil layer, to store all my stone blocks for easy construction.  The giant kea were far more interested in that room and stealing a few blocks, than entering my expansive trap filled entry zone.  Worst I got was a bit of stockpile cancellations due to kea interruptions.

I consider myself lucky.

I always set up a block stockpile above ground if keas show up.  They are always happy to steal them rather than coming into my fort.

It's not like stone is expensive after all.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 03:37:54 pm »

Stone blocks are made at 4:1, so you've got plenty! If you can trace their movements, then I would still recommend capturing them. Giant Kea are huge, and provide tons of food:
Meat    18
Fat    11
Brain    1
Gizzard    1
Heart    1
Lungs    2
Intestines    1
Liver    1
Kidneys    2
Tripe    1
Sweetbread    1
Spleen    1

Raw materials
Bones    24
Skull    1
Skin    Raw hide
Feather    1
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 06:52:50 am »

As my embark also has Giant Wolverines (who turn out to be even more vicious than I had expected), booze-stealing Grizzly Bear Men (who I suspect can be even more vicious than they first appeared to be), Cougar Men (see grizzly bear men), and all manner of other Giant <Insert creature that you never want to see in giant-form>, I have also contemplated covering every available tile on the surface within 30 tiles of my entrance, with cage traps.

Cage traps are OP, imho.   

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 03:10:01 pm »

Ahh, it sounds like you have embarked in savage lands. Giant beasts will roam the area.

While cage traps are definitely OP, using them requires dwarves to reload them after use. Hauling giants takes time. There is also tremendous risk involved with training these creatures as well.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 08:01:42 pm »

>training your food supply

Somebodyelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 01:25:29 pm »

Can this please https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/southland/kea-get-gym-distract-them-road-cones be a feature?

The [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM] tag should be given the added effect of making the creature also use any mechanical devices like screw pumps or levers.

Then you could build a bunch of pointless levers and pumps on the surface, voila, Kea gym.

Since dragons and rocs also have that tag it would have the bonus effect of creating a humorous megabeast playground where they'd just hang out flicking switches and playing with pumps all day.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:56:44 am by Somebodyelse »

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 07:41:25 am »

or just add the [MISCHIEVOUS] tag...

*PS i think that is the tag that allows Gremlins to pull levers etc, although I might be wrong.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 04:09:36 pm »

or just add the [MISCHIEVOUS] tag...

*PS i think that is the tag that allows Gremlins to pull levers etc, although I might be wrong.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#MISCHIEVOUS

You would be correct. That's hilarious.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 09:06:38 pm »

The [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM] tag should be given the added effect of making the creature also use any mechanical devices like screw pumps or levels.

Then you could build a bunch of pointless levels and pumps on the surface, voila, Kea gym.

Since dragons and rocs also have that tag it would have the bonus effect of creating a humorous megabeast playground where they'd just hang out flicking switches and playing with pumps all day.
What are "levels"?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 12:57:09 am »

While not implemented in the game...

levels are devices that employ either a mono-point fulcrum on a conical structure, or several glass tubes filled with colored liquid and gas bubbles, used to determine flatness compared to a mean gravitational source/true normal vector to source of gravitation.

(the more you know...)

Somebodyelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile