Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Alcohol Poisoning?  (Read 2469 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alcohol Poisoning?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 04:21:43 pm »

A well is useless for visitor supply purposes, but very handy to supply a hospital and the odd dorf that has water as a preferred consumable (I've actually seen one!). Thus, you ought to have a well, but for other reasons.

Surely it was an elf in a masterful disguise.

In my fortress even using taverns and having dwarves serving drinks the most I had was the odd dwarf unconscious with yellow lungs. I think I saw one visitor die from alcohol poisoning, just once. A more pressing issue are the brawls, that can be quite violent, though I had some incapacitated dwarves just visitors were killed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:27:52 pm by thvaz »

Qrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 12:28:53 am »

I've seen multiple dwarves die without apparent reason in the new version. At first I thought they died of old age or were killed by a vampire but the wiki says the message would be different ("Urist McDwarf dies of old age/is drained of blood"). Now I assume they died of alcohol poisoning since the ones I recall all died in the tavern. It would be nicer if the message is more specific though ("Urist McDrunk has been found dead of alcohol poisoning").

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 03:52:02 pm »

What was the message you received upon death?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 03:26:39 am »

Unless things have changed recently, everything that dies of old age dies as the year turns over, all at the same time. I haven't had dorfs do that since the 0.40.X version where migrants could arrive within just a few years of dead, but it happens to animals from time to time (in particular pets).

If I remember correctly, alcohol poisoning just gives you the standard message that Urist McLost has been found dead, and that happened with old age as well, i.e. nothing to distinguish that cause of death from others.
If we go into the suggestion territory, I'd prefer an indirect description to alcohol poisoning death, such as the corpse being blue in the face (as alcohol poisoning results in lung damage that causes suffocation). That would indicate alcohol poisoning, but would also fit other cases of suffocation (although drowning should probably be described as water dripping out of the mouth, or something like that).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 03:44:28 am »

Engrave a slab to the victims, see what it says. If it says 'suffocated' you most likely have a case of alcohol poisoning.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 04:19:16 pm »

Engrave a slab to the victims, see what it says. If it says 'suffocated' you most likely have a case of alcohol poisoning.
TIL how that Dwarves have autopsies.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.
Pages: 1 [2]