Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromantic Fortress - Downside?  (Read 1641 times)

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromantic Fortress - Downside?
« on: January 15, 2018, 07:17:46 pm »

I just raided a Tower, & stole their Adamantine Slab regarding the Secrets of Life & Death. I'm pretty sure that's irrelevant in Fortress mode, but I did also steal a bunch of books written by the necromancer's in my dungeon. I'm hoping/assuming that reading these books (though none seem to say anything about the secrets of life & death...) will turn my Dwarrows into Necromancers. Or would I need a book that states the secrets of life & death?

Anyhow, what I'm really curious about, is what's the downside to doing this? I see immortality as the plus, & even though they probably not going happen, the ability to raise the dead... but no major downside beyond being perceived as evil.
~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Necromantic Fortress - Downside?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 07:47:34 pm »

Immortal dwarves dont drink booze, making the fortress more slow. A tavern can mitigate this problem.
And no more babys.

And zombies attack living dwarves, except other necromancer. After the killing others dwarves can kill the necromancer that raise the corpse, causing a loyalty cascade in your fort.

If a necromancer isnt memorialized, the ghost can raise corpses (even their own corpse).
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 07:53:56 pm »

Thanks! I hadn't thought of any of those. So with care & a dependency on migrations & taverns, manageable.

One follow-up query, if I may; why does the fortress move slower if not on booze?
~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 08:08:50 pm »

Thanks! I hadn't thought of any of those. So with care & a dependency on migrations & taverns, manageable.

One follow-up query, if I may; why does the fortress move slower if not on booze?
Dwarves need alcohol to function at "normal" speed. On the other hand, they can not get intoxicated or become drunk: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Alcohol
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 12:49:01 am »

On the other hand, they can not get intoxicated or become drunk
They can, but it requires a tavern keeper to encourage them. Dwarf livers are more effective, but not perfect.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 07:16:19 am »

Can necromancers get intoxicated? They're kind of halfway between life and death.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Purdurabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 04:24:59 pm »

Can necromancers get intoxicated? They're kind of halfway between life and death.

Yes, they can also die from Innkeeper induced alcohol poisoning.

I did some testing fairly recently on a necro fort and their alcoholism does not seem to be the cause of the slowdown. Just I used the visitor system to get humans in my fort and when they suffered the exact same slowdown even without needing alcohol. Also simply giving them(my dwarfs) a break with no jobs had the exact same effect as giving them a drink in that it increased their workspeed for a few days also.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 04:41:38 pm »

Well, distraction causes dorfs to slow down as well, so one thing doesn't exclude the other. Interesting, however, that they'd die from suffocation. Apparently they're more alive than dead...