Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Web-Spinning Forgotten Beast - Capturable?  (Read 4041 times)

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Web-Spinning Forgotten Beast - Capturable?
« on: January 13, 2018, 02:24:45 pm »

Just want to know if I can get one of those Web-Spinning Forgotten Beasts in a Cage.

Obviously Silk-laden Traps don't work.
Cave-in doesn't work either. (just tried it)

I'm assuming the NO_STUN (paired with TrapAvoid+WebImmune) is guaranteed cage immunity?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following techniques have proven Not to work for web-throwing Megabeasts:

Falling prone does not trigger cage-traps.
Falling from a great height does not trigger cage-traps.
Having paralyzing venom injected by 40+ King Cobras has no effect.
Webs from Megabeasts do not trigger cage-traps for other web-throwing Megabeasts.
Cave-ins do not trigger cage-traps for web-throwing Megabeasts
Dodging does not trigger cage-traps.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:34:05 pm by Encrtia »
~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web-Spinning Forgotten Beast - Capturable?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 04:46:51 pm »

It ought to be impossible. You can devise means to contain them (drawbridges, etc.), but not get them into cages.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 10:37:06 pm »

IIRC, you can put surround a support with cage traps. When you pull the support and the creature "goes prone", it will set off the trap.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cave-in

I'm not positive if it works against all FB's, as they may have NOSTUN.

EDIT: it isn't "ducking", it is "going prone"
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:40:32 pm by They Got Leader »
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 05:01:58 am »

Doesn't work on NOSTUN creatures, and all Titans, FBs and Clowns are NOSTUN.

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 08:12:56 am »

IIRC, you can put surround a support with cage traps. When you pull the support and the creature "ducks", it will set off the trap.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cave-in

I'm not positive if it works against all FB's, as they may have NOSTUN.

Thanks for the idea, but the support was what I tried with the cave in actually.

I put a support surrounded by cage traps (filling a 5x5 room), that had 1 single block above it. Pulled the trigger, block came down, dust - he looked like he dodged in addition to being blown back on the traps - to no avail.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 03:40:05 pm »

I thought so, but my memory is bad. I tried doing searches for captured Titans, but I came up to no avail.

I couldn't recall if it was the "prone" or the "unconscious" that set off the trap. I swore I could recall an instance where someone force a Titan to go prone and it set off a trap.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 07:48:24 pm »

I thought so, but my memory is bad. I tried doing searches for captured Titans, but I came up to no avail.

I couldn't recall if it was the "prone" or the "unconscious" that set off the trap. I swore I could recall an instance where someone force a Titan to go prone and it set off a trap.

Can confirm prone is irrelevant. Got a Forgotten beast to fall over (in the centre of dozens of cage traps), just got back up again.
Can confirm dropping a Megabeast onto a cage-trap doesn't trigger it either.
I also tried releasing 40 King Cobras that I had been rearing for a few years Just for this test (might bypass NO_STUN like webbing), but suffice to say...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

paralyzing from venom syndromes are countered by NO_STUN as well, even if it's 30 pages worth of venom pumping (the last 3 was just a 1-sided massacre, & he still lived :o)

I don't know all conditions that triggers cages (so far Webbed, Unconscious, Tantrum), neither do I know intricate knowledge of Key Words such as NO_STUN (beyond obvious logic), but now I'm officially out of possible ideas to bypass a Webbed-Megabeast's defences into a cage-trap.
I also wanted to see if he'd "dodge" into a cage-trap, as I've heard similar accounts prior, by placing a spear-trap underneath, but he didn't dodge at all. Any known sure-fire ways to induce dodging to test that, perhaps? Last idea I could possibly go on at this point...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 08:12:41 pm by Encrtia »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 09:52:39 pm »

did you put 10 spears in that spear trap or just one?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 10:46:44 pm »

Both.

One attempt with one, another attempt with ten. Two separate occasions.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 02:37:12 am »

Thank you for letting me know! I will use this information in future endeavors.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 01:58:54 am »

Why would you like to cage a web spinning FB? They don't breed. You can't tame them. Is it for display in your zoo? FB have monetary value?

Why not to simply put the mentioned FB to work in your silk farm? Just make path for FB to enter it at a proper spot and bridge to close behind it. Bate it on end with 2 chairs, so your Dwarf has time to pull the trigger. The silk is worthless, but it comes with your FB fancy name.

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 08:03:59 am »

Why would you like to cage a web spinning FB? They don't breed. You can't tame them. Is it for display in your zoo? FB have monetary value?

Why not to simply put the mentioned FB to work in your silk farm? Just make path for FB to enter it at a proper spot and bridge to close behind it. Bate it on end with 2 chairs, so your Dwarf has time to pull the trigger. The silk is worthless, but it comes with your FB fancy name.

I'm a Pokémon/Forgotten Beast collector. Our Fortress was established to house the largest Mint for our Nation in addition to taming/capturing all new exotic species/beasts.

So, a bit of a role-playing, a bit of hobby-collecting, & a lead-up to a nice Colosseum show-down fight that'll occur during the Centennial Anniversary Party.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 03:55:05 pm »

You could also still make a web farm out of the FB without capture. It require quite a bit of ingenuity.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 04:59:50 am »

I'm a Pokémon/Forgotten Beast collector. Our Fortress was established to house the largest Mint for our Nation in addition to taming/capturing all new exotic species/beasts.

So, a bit of a role-playing, a bit of hobby-collecting, & a lead-up to a nice Colosseum show-down fight that'll occur during the Centennial Anniversary Party.

I see. First create the silk farm with this FB, like I suggested. Next build some cage traps in the webbing room and put dog on chain to get FB to spit some webs all around there. Then using bridges make path for FB to walk through those webbed cage traps. Bait with another chair or something? I read on wiki, though never actually tried it out, that webbed cage traps can still capture web spinning FBs.

If the webbed cage traps fail, make sure you can walk FB back to its part of the silk farm. Even if it can't be in zoo, it can still be functional part of your fortress.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 07:51:09 am »

I see. First create the silk farm with this FB, like I suggested. Next build some cage traps in the webbing room and put dog on chain to get FB to spit some webs all around there. Then using bridges make path for FB to walk through those webbed cage traps. Bait with another chair or something? I read on wiki, though never actually tried it out, that webbed cage traps can still capture web spinning FBs.

If the webbed cage traps fail, make sure you can walk FB back to its part of the silk farm. Even if it can't be in zoo, it can still be functional part of your fortress.
Your statement that web throwers are not web immune goes against the conventional wisdom in the matter. Thus, I'd be very careful about relying on it, and would encourage (reasonably safe) testing of it, and then report the results back.
Pages: [1] 2