Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Installing "toikkus" sound packs for SoundSense  (Read 2735 times)

RevReese

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing has never been so much fun!
    • View Profile
    • https://terencebennett.wordpress.com/
Installing "toikkus" sound packs for SoundSense
« on: January 13, 2018, 05:47:06 pm »

Hey all!
I have recently installed the Starter Pack (Lazy Newb Pack) version 43.05r11.
I have run soundsense and got the packs installed from the official site: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/ but i notice there are 2 optional packs called toikkus.zip and toikkus2.zip.

It says to install them, simply extract into the packs folder.
Does this mean i should have two folders under packs, called "toikkus" and "toikkus2" containing sub folders in the case of "toikkus"? (which seem like they should be extracted into the existing folders called "animals" "dwarves" "fort") and just a list of files for "toikkus2".

toikkus2 has no folders at all, just a collection of sound clips, do these simply get extracted to the root of the packs folder so they are all listed outside the folders or should it remain in a folder called toikkus2?

It has been a long time since i last played DF and i have not used soundsense before and i want to make sure i have everything set up correctly for maximum immersion.

I apologise for any confusion, if i can clarify anything, leave a reply and i will try to elaborate.

Thank you for your time.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Installing "toikkus" sound packs for SoundSense
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 12:19:48 am »

Haven't used any extra packs, but I'm pretty sure they work wherever as long as you don't move any subfolders with respect to their included .xml files.

However, "toikkus2" may be intended to overwrite files in "toikkus", in which case you should put them in "toikkus".
If the .xml files included in toikkus2 refer to sounds found in toikkus, this is likely the case. Otherwise, you should organize toikkus2 into its own folder.

The case where they're meant to overwrite standard soundsense sounds seems unlikely due to a lack of subfolders. It's too much to expect of the user to guess where they go.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:24:24 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 12:57:08 am »

You guys probably already know this, but I believe you can use multiple packs at once. If the two sound packs are installed side-by-side in separate folders, you can use the in-game interface to chose to use one of them or both of them.

That probably doesn't really help in trying to figure out how toikkus2 is intended to be installed, though.

RevReese

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing has never been so much fun!
    • View Profile
    • https://terencebennett.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 06:58:01 am »

Thanks for the replies guys!
In the end, i extracted the .zips to the pack's root folder as instructed (so i have two folders called toikkus and toikkus2).
Also, i extracted toikkus.zip sub folders into the packs (so into animals, dwarves and fort folders respectively) just in case that was the correct way.   
I hope that doesn't cause problems!
I just need to jump in the game and see if they work correctly.
I can select them in the SoundSense GUI and play them fine (they are enabled by default) so i assume they will work but time will tell!

Thanks again!  :)