Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Author Topic: Dom5 Round502 - Get back to work!  (Read 36256 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dom5 Round 502 - LA - Sign up hither
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 09:40:19 am »

Just something I saw in testing - Blood Vengeance and Reanimator can combine, so if you have an Archer shooting your holy units and they die, the blood vengeance kills the archer and you get a lucky roll AND HAVE A MAGICAL COMMANDER, a Longdead might spawn in the middle of the enemy Archers. It's funky and super-late-game-hate-strat, but who doesn't love sheanigans like that.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 09:49:09 am »

Do you guys have any special rules for diplomacy particular to Bay12? What I'm used to is trades are binding and for everything else, it's purely in-game.
A soft rule, more of a gentleman's agreement really, is not to rush people within the first 12 months. It's there so that people can actually feel like they played the game rather than being roflstomped in earnest.

Otherwise nothing I can think of apart from what you mentioned about trades.
Everybody expects diplomacy to be conducted via forum PMs, btw.

On Lemuria, i heard that in dom 5 they can (re)gain death income by building temples. I heard it wrong? If not, how much temples you need? If yes, how is this fair (nerfing death income from 15 to 9)(they now have magically attuned researchers and lemur consul is cheaper *facepalm*)?
Each temple grants 1 death gem/month. So you start with 10. This income is capped at +10.
It's not that big of a difference, as you'd normally want to build as many temples as you can anyway. Promotes expansion instead of sitting on your arse. Given how immortality and spectral weapons work now, as well as some other changes, I'd say Lemuria received an overall buff.
If you still don't think it's fair, change the nation.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 09:50:54 am »

Yeah, it's alright, just forgot about other changes.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 11:23:54 am »

Just something I saw in testing - Blood Vengeance and Reanimator can combine, so if you have an Archer shooting your holy units and they die, the blood vengeance kills the archer and you get a lucky roll AND HAVE A MAGICAL COMMANDER, a Longdead might spawn in the middle of the enemy Archers. It's funky and super-late-game-hate-strat, but who doesn't love sheanigans like that.
Reanimator works on literally everything, or at least I've yet to hear of an exception. Even with many edge cases of usefulness added together though, it doesn't seem that great at its current cost.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 11:51:08 am »

After every one else has picked, chuck me in an RNG and give me the nation that comes out.
And you will get Mictlan.  :P

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 12:47:04 pm »

After every one else has picked, chuck me in an RNG and give me the nation that comes out.
And you will get Mictlan.  :P

Oh, I believe I know how to at least pilot a bless rush on Mictlan! That wouldn't be the worst nation for sure.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 12:50:53 pm »

Ok, I guess I'll grab Patala
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 01:51:16 pm »

Ok, we've got 10 players, so I'm thinking there's no point in waiting the rest of the week for more. Everybody start thinking about the map (post a link if you've found something nice) and setup (if you don't like the current one), and decide on your nations.

We'll likely accept more players, should they come while we're still deciding.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 02:29:23 pm »

Sounds good to me.

I'm locked in on Marigon.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 02:32:41 pm »

Can't find any maps i like, so bogstandart 15 provinces per player random map will do.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 02:43:58 pm »

Please put me down as LA Abysia! (so glad that I caught this in time to get in on a game)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 10:03:05 pm »

Worst Idea EVAR, probably, but... put me down as Atlantis.

I'd recommend against going with a bog-standard random map for two reasons: 1) I hate how overconnected they are, and 2) there's an awful lot of water-wanting nations here even without me picking one. R'lyeh, obviously. Erytheia as well, plus Atlantis. Wysthric appears to want Mictlan, which is water-ish themed. Marignon is water-ish themed. Lemuria frankly gets better freespawn underwater and are all amphibians, so they're, hmm, soggy.  Patala has an amphibious core, so... damp, maybe? That's 3+(2*0.75)+(0.5)+(0.25) or so water nations out of 12...

If it doesn't go above 12 nations, we could do Urraparond With Caves (ie, what got used in 4.04). I've been picking at winterizing it, and can probably finish fairly quickly.

(If it goes above 12, I'd say find something else, but good and moist.)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 12:04:44 am »

I think random map is still the best bet for Dom5. For that, here's a utility that prevents people from getting screwed over with a bad start:

https://nixx.is-fantabulo.us/dom5ranmapnos/

Basically just sets provinces to nostart if they have too few connections.

I'd recommend against going with a bog-standard random map for two reasons: 1) I hate how overconnected they are,
I don't consider this a problem, and haven't seen it argued as one before. But prevalence of chokepoints is a subjective preference regardless.
and 2) there's an awful lot of water-wanting nations
How's that a problem for random maps? You can freely set the water percentage.

That's 3+(2*0.75)+(0.5)+(0.25) or so water nations out of 12...
which would set the percentage to 44%. Although I disagree with your math. I think giving the full allotment of provinces is overkill even for fully aquatic nations (aside from EA R'lyeh) and we should have about a third of the provinces aquatic.

On a totally different note, I think I'll confirm for Pythium. It may be LA, but who needs crossbows and blood anyway?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:35:52 am by Cruxador »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 02:15:45 am »

I hate how overconnected they are,
I don't consider this a problem, but IIRC (can't check from here) that should be addressable in the map generation settings.

Nope. Not even a little; there's nothing in settings that addresses connectivity.

It's not just about chokepoints; it's also about spacing between capitals. This is a point which has been discussed around here for a while, though I've only seen passing mention on other forums (though said mentions agreed with the conclusions).

High average province connection reduces the number of players that a map can practically support noticeably. It's most obvious with very densely connected maps like the hex ones (or honestly any by Pymous), but any higher-connectivity maps (of the sort that during Dom4 increasingly supplanted the sparser maps that were more common through Dom3 - I'm very tempted to blame Dom4's introduction of ritual ranges for this) can reduce the distance between capitals to an absurd level. The other Dom5 game running here right now (on a standard random map; 192/33 for 13 players) had three nations start w/in 1 province of the other two. The more densely connected maps have a tendency to have some players clustered closer together than others, which makes for death by random geography even moreso than usual. It's really obnoxious to lose before the game begins. (As an aside, it also reduces some strategic play by e.g. rendering ritual ranges and map move speed less significant.)

Basically, the more densely connected a map is, the more provinces per player are required to create good spacing because it's easier to trace shorter paths from any given province to any other. Consider the two extreme edge cases: a fully connected map with 20 provinces per player necessarily has 0 provinces between all capitals (and everyone can always directly attack anyone, and ritual range/map move is effectively simplified to 0 or not-0), while a contiguous map with 20 per player where connections = 2 for all provinces (a giant ring) can have 19 provinces between every player (and every player can only ever directly attack 2 other players, and ritual range and map move are very important). What "good spacing" comprises is subjective, but the random map generator does not tend to make sparse enough maps that "traditional" province counts like 15 or 20 aren't going to make for very close starting positions (for some players, but not all) once thrones start cluttering things.

and 2) there's an awful lot of water-wanting nations
How's that a problem for random maps? You can freely set the water percentage.

You're correct that's not a problem with random maps, but it is a problem with the proposed "bogstandart 15 provinces per player random map". Once we start fiddling with settings, we're not doing bog-standard.

I think giving the full allotment of provinces is overkill even for fully aquatic nations (aside from EA R'lyeh) and we should have about a third of the provinces aquatic.

I'd not dream of suggesting full allotment. For reference, the map I suggested is 155/35; my point was that we probably don't want a map as dry as many are. We want a lot of coast as much or more than a lot of water.

You might be right about going with a third, though, if we're doing random (which I'm still leery of doing). Based on a few tests, I'd say 50% water/200% UW province size feels the best to me, though I can see some value in 33/100. 66/400 seems like the map generator has trouble doing it well, and it just really looks off for the number of wet nations, even realizing the map gen is often doing less than 1/3 wet at that point.

I'd also argue for bumping the cave percentage to 10. 10% seems to give 3 to 6 caves (of 180) rather than the standard 3%'s 1 to 1 caves.

In any case, "re-make the map 'til something palatable-looking shows up" is probably a necessity if we're doing random.

[Edit: on reflection, I really don't think we want to go as high as 1/3 the provinces UW. 1/5 or at absolute most 1/4 water will probably be plenty. Coasts and a few "deep" provinces are more desirable than large seas with many provinces not touching land... and if we go with random, it'll be a lot harder to get that with 1/3 rather than something less dramatic...]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 03:27:29 am by E. Albright »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 03:41:31 am »

How is Marignon underwater themed? I got sailing and Sea is in the name, but I don't have a single unit that can go there by default?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33