Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33

Author Topic: Dom5 Round502 - Get back to work!  (Read 36394 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dom5 Round 502 - LA - Sign up hither
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2018, 04:48:55 pm »

Yes, sorta/mostly/ish. I thought about this more, and there's a lot to unpack; it's mostly in regards to longest shortest paths between nodes/provinces and average shortest paths. Again, though, this isn't the best context to have the conversation.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2018, 08:50:28 pm »

The arbitrary tyrant method of map generation is fine with me.

[stuff]

We should take this discussion in some form to Dom5Mods; this isn't a great place for it but I think it's worth having. If I am coming across as hostile, I apologize; this back-and-forth here actually was very helpful in clarifying some messy and/or contentious points for me (even if I haven't communicated this or them well).

I'll try to come up with a clearer and more useful re-stating of my general premise and post it over there in the next day or so.

For now, I've just put my response in a spoiler since I think I've said most of what I say on the topic for the foreseeable future. I think the Dom5 thread here would also be an appropriate place if you reckon further discussion would be good; perhaps if there was discussion there besides "how do I be less new?" type questions, that thread would be somewhat more active.

I didn't find your tone to be hostile. A bit patronizing, perhaps, particular in your repeated insistence that I can't distinguish between the actual map and its graphical representation, but I'm enjoying the discussion nonetheless. It's far more likely to lose its appeal due to the tedium of how technical it is than any lack of manners on your part.

Yes, sorta/mostly/ish. I thought about this more, and there's a lot to unpack; it's mostly in regards to longest shortest paths between nodes/provinces and average shortest paths. Again, though, this isn't the best context to have the conversation.
I don't really see an issue of context myself; personally I think discussing the game pairs nicely with playing it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:08:12 pm by Cruxador »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2018, 11:31:23 pm »

Here's a map:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W30VPGho1m56TCtxJk8FCIZ2sOvHMHoZ - no longer available
140+40, E-W wraparound.
Small lakes, some provinces on map edges, and whatever provinces with less than 4 land connections I could find in the five minutes it took me to create it, have been made nostart.
So random. Much crazy.

You've approximately 3522.3 seconds to complain before I stop giving a fuck.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:08:41 am by Il Palazzo »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2018, 11:49:32 pm »

Here's a map:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W30VPGho1m56TCtxJk8FCIZ2sOvHMHoZ
140+40, E-W wraparound.
Small lakes, some provinces on map edges, and whatever provinces with less than 4 land connections I could find in the five minutes it took me to create it, have been made nostart.
So random. Much crazy.

You've approximately 3522.3 seconds to complain before I stop giving a fuck.
Did you miss the utility I posted earlier? There's no need to hunt for provinces under 4 connections manually.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2018, 11:54:09 pm »

Yeah, I did. Too much random drama for me to sift through.
You either trust that I got the map to be roughly ok despite/thanks to my somewhat altered sobriety, or make a map yourself.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2018, 12:10:15 am »

Yeah, I did. Too much random drama for me to sift through.

...which would be why I'm trying to self-perform a dramectomy on the thread. Only fair since I seem to be the vector.

Map looks good on a not-really-thorough look. It also really looks like the non-province lake in the upper left corner should have been a province, but I'll never understand the map gen's reasoning on things like that...

[Edit: Hmm, no caves. Patala suffers a bit from that. Not end-of-the-game suffers, but suffers. Also, since first post doesn't say specifically, but we usually do it, common events?]

[Double edit: although come to think of it, caves aren't a big deal to add if 1) we decide that's an issue, and 2) we want to use this perfectly serviceable. Someone (I can, for instance) just needs to paste cave graphics onto a couple of promising locations, the text file needs updated to reflect their cavernousness, and Bob's yer uncle... Ofc, Bob's also your uncle if Patala is left with no dank, moist holes to try to fill.]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:29:37 am by E. Albright »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2018, 12:32:38 am »

Changed my mind about playing; if we can't even discuss what makes for a good map without it being called 'drama' I can't imagine that the rest of the game will be any better.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2018, 12:35:03 am »

Don't be silly. 't was in jest.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2018, 12:42:27 am »

Regardless, I'm out. A game this big can potentially go on for months, I'm not going to commit to that if everyone else is going to TL;DR and half ass everything. Give me a full ass, or give me death!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2018, 01:17:39 am »

I think everyone who's been playing dominions on bay12 can attest that people tend to bring 150% arse to the table.

But sure, the game will likely go for months - they always do. At least for those who survive the initial melee. 428 is getting on for half a year, with no end in sight. Although that is a bit of an outlier.
It's a lot of commitment, but the payoff is good.

Anyway, if you change your mind before the game starts, just submit your pretender. You can always quit mid-game (although that'd be half-arsing it!)

[Edit: Hmm, no caves. Patala suffers a bit from that. Not end-of-the-game suffers, but suffers. Also, since first post doesn't say specifically, but we usually do it, common events?]
I completely forgot about Patala's (semi)reliance on caves. So here's another map:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sHkrpoidkhFl0aNPiQY8fdDd73bVaWdj
137+43; 7 caves; 5 connections per start minimum
The wiggly watery bit to the left of the lake is not actually water.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2018, 02:13:03 am »

Grek, it is of course your prerogative to shop around amongst various arse-mongers and not settle for second-rate arses, but it may be worth noting that some of us have been playing this and other games together here for, I dunno, 8-10y? There is a certain amount of, shall we say... Giving Of Shit To One Another from time to time, and one should not read too much into it...

New map iz new, and pretty. Probably more to the squid's taste than the last one, but that just means we shall have to be more aggressive with our calamari recipes, now doesn't it?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2018, 04:12:29 am »

TL;DR and half-assing is how Dominions is done, or? If you make it past turn 35, you get the calculator out.

Anyway, the weirdo above me is right.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2018, 07:21:33 am »

Map is fine, everything is fine, twits is fine too, just start the game already.
Changed my mind about playing; if we can't even discuss what makes for a good map without it being called 'drama' I can't imagine that the rest of the game will be any better.
Didn't read previous matches, aye?  :P
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:27:38 am by MCreeper »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dom5 Round502 - Pretenders inbound!
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2018, 02:02:02 pm »

Holy shit, the game is up!
http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Bay12GamesRound502

I've added cataclysm to turn 88. If it goes on for that long, it might just as well end in tears.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dom5 Round502 - Pretenders inbound!
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2018, 04:00:13 pm »

Oh no I'm not done testing my scales since I was busy talking about corners! Well, I'll run a couple more test games just to be sure.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33