Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem Assigning Roles in Dwarf Therapist  (Read 2018 times)

RevReese

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing has never been so much fun!
    • View Profile
    • https://terencebennett.wordpress.com/
Problem Assigning Roles in Dwarf Therapist
« on: January 14, 2018, 02:54:20 pm »

Hi all!
I have just started using Dwarf Therapist and it is an incredibly useful tool.
However, i am trying to assign a dwarf as my bookkeeper unsuccessfully.

I have assigned him as bookkeeper in game to see if that made a difference but it did not, clicking on the role screen to assign him does not work, nothing happens when i click the box (though other roles do, just not the purple roles for any dwarf).

I do not have dfhack's autolabor running and have no trouble assigning the non-purple roles to any dwarf.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks for your time.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem Assigning Roles in Dwarf Therapist
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 03:14:58 pm »

By "in game", are you referring to the (n)obles screen or something else?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 04:04:18 pm »

I don't believe DT is supposed to allow you to assign noble positions through it, just view the dorfs' suitability for those roles.
The difference between ordinary labor and nobility is that they're assigned through the nobility screen rather than the normal labor one, and there can generally only be a single dorf upholding each noble position (although the same dorf can hold multiple positions, so the book keeper/manager combination is common, to save on an office).

RevReese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 04:31:55 pm »

Thank you for the replies!

By "in game", are you referring to the (n)obles screen or something else?

Sorry, yes it was on the (n)obles screen.

I don't believe DT is supposed to allow you to assign noble positions through it, just view the dorfs' suitability for those roles.
The difference between ordinary labor and nobility is that they're assigned through the nobility screen rather than the normal labor one, and there can generally only be a single dorf upholding each noble position (although the same dorf can hold multiple positions, so the book keeper/manager combination is common, to save on an office).

I guess that makes sense though i could not find anything in the manual suggesting that but i am new to DT.
it seems a little odd that you cannot assign nobles from within DT but using the (n)obles screen is no problem.
I just looked through the roles and sorted them to find the most suitable dorf and then went to the (n)oble screen and assigned him (now to throw together an office for him!).

Thanks again!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 05:39:06 pm »

it seems a little odd that you cannot assign nobles from within DT but using the (n)obles screen is no problem.
From the perspective of the game's data structures, they are completely different things - toggling a labor is just setting an existing variable to 0 (off) or 1 (on), while assigning a noble involves creating new data structures (entity position assignments, history events, etc.) and setting up the proper cross-references between them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

RevReese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 05:47:58 pm »

From the perspective of the game's data structures, they are completely different things - toggling a labor is just setting an existing variable to 0 (off) or 1 (on), while assigning a noble involves creating new data structures (entity position assignments, history events, etc.) and setting up the proper cross-references between them.

It does make sense putting it that way.

Thank you.