Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Goblin queen - citizen-problems?  (Read 709 times)

Marianne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Goblin queen - citizen-problems?
« on: January 14, 2018, 03:05:37 pm »

I just created a map in which the dwarven civ has a Goblin queen.

I remember older version where you were not able to do anything with such a non-dwarf citizen, but with the newest version she should arrive when the requirements are met and I should be able to give her commands with DwarfTherapist or?

Is there anythingelse I may should know about non-dwarven cits?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: A Goblin queen - citizen-problems?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 03:23:27 pm »

I believe that this falls under the Citizenship thing. Since you can now grant petitions to travelers and mercs and such, I think it is possible to actually have a functioning other race monarch. Don't trust me perfectly, but I don't think you have to worry about it a lot.

From a quick Wiki search, it seems that the last time this "bug" was noted was 40d. The more recent versions seem to remove this problem. Citizenship seems to make sure that other civs function in your fortress.

EDIT: fixed URL code
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:48:40 pm by They Got Leader »
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Marianne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 03:37:38 pm »

I hope this got fixed, I remember having a goblin king one time and he did nothing and just stood at the edge of the map. :(

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 03:50:11 pm »

I think after citizenship petitions were added, this was fixed. I can't say for certain, though, as I have never run into this problem myself. However, I have plenty of visitors to my locations, and other races tend to integrate fine (note: I am playing 44.02. There is a bug in 44.04 where other races in your fort become "zombie haulers".)
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 04:12:26 pm »

Ordinary naturalized citizens of other races worked just fine in 0.43.05, although I don't think I've ever had a monarch arrive to the fortress (definitely not after 0.40.X).

Marianne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 05:43:44 pm »

Ordinary naturalized citizens of other races worked just fine in 0.43.05, although I don't think I've ever had a monarch arrive to the fortress (definitely not after 0.40.X).

I usually play maps where I start with a queen or a king (dead civs) but this time I am going for a migration-monarch, I love the idea of having an imortal king who I can train for a more than 1000 years ;-).

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 07:50:16 pm »

I hope this got fixed, I remember having a goblin king one time and he did nothing and just stood at the edge of the map. :(

Too busy singing Dance Magic Dance?

Quote from:  They Got Leader
However, I have plenty of visitors to my locations, and other races tend to integrate fine (note: I am playing 44.02. There is a bug in 44.04 where other races in your fort become "zombie haulers".)

I didn't think that was a matter of race? I think it's just a matter of strange people (dwarfs and otherwise) "returning" to your fort and just acting like probationary citizens. I actually got a gorlak swords(wo)man integrate into my fort as a merc just before my first "zombie."
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:52:38 pm by Stormfeather »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 08:30:42 pm »

I've had goblin drunks as barons, as people have pointed out we can now grant other races citizenship so this should not be a problem.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 02:44:10 am »

Dead civs do not get monarchs: if you get one the civ is "merely" struggling and will be eligible for an unlimited number of migrant waves as well as a dwarven caravan, as opposed to dead civs that get two migrant waves (can be cut with a pop cap) and no dwarven caravan. The generation of dead civs is currently bugged, so a lot of civs that should be dead (neither a living member nor a site for 1000 years) still become merely struggling.