Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05 Released  (Read 98510 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05 Released
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2018, 04:11:28 pm »

A human swordsman was leaving, left the map, then 2 seconds later, "Human swordsman is visiting" - the same guy is running back into my fort. Either he really loves my booze, or it's a funny little glitch/coincidence.

He is using wooden equipment, and I saw a "dwarf X has revealed presence of artifact Y to human swordsman" announcement, so it's possible he is a spy (elf disguised as human?). Perhaps has something to do with this "double visit".

Edit: Same just happened with another leaving human swordsman, how curious! This one is using metal equipment though and had no "revealed presence of" announcement, so it's possible they are not related.

Edit 2: I got the "revealed presence of" announcement for the 2nd human after he stepped back into my fort. 2 Spies?
You only have to open Legends and check his name to see if he's a spy. Humans have lived in Elf civs in DF for years, so wooden equipment means nothing.

Leaving and coming straight back is a bit weird. Is the artifact he's looking for actually at your site?

Yes it is - the artifact Falldent is something I've gotten questers for the past 10 years. Though I only now started getting a lot of "has revealed presence of" announcements and re-appearing questers.

Edit: Speak of the devil.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit 2: Oh my god it's caused a lot of the visitors to attack my citizens, this entire 3-4 man squad that the marksdwarf was part of went hostile
They're trying to take my artifact with force! This is some Fun!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:17:35 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2018, 04:24:57 pm »

That's awesome. Still waiting for some artifact related Fun myself. So long as I can get my weregecko problem under control for long enough, I'm sure I'll get some soon.

I think the system was originally described as, visitor gets info on artifact, visitor leaves map, visitor returns as a thief (or with an army, which no-one seems to have had yet). So it's kind of working as planned. Thief should probably have returned hidden though.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2018, 04:27:47 pm »

Strangely, it seems only one of the soldiers (the sneaker) was truly hostile, firing arrows etc. The others of the group seemed to not do any attacking at all, but they still became "hostile" (dwarves ran away from them, interrupted by human axeman etc) and they were beat down by my military and random war animals with zero attempts at retaliation (they did not do a single attack).

They would still block my military's attacks with shields, and deflect blows - but they were 100% defensive in the combat logs, no attacks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:29:18 pm by Orkel »
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2018, 04:43:52 pm »

I'm not sure if my note of dwarven happiness is a bit overblown, given a fort running for a couple of years though it might be a bit extreme right now. More testing is needed, for instance, dwarves don't care enough about sleeping in the dirt, however, tuning down the happiness strength of alcohol would be a good start.
Being inebriated isn't much of a long term de-stressor at all realistically speaking, only really having a roughly flat effect on the mental state while active and allowing people to relax and socialize more openly (which is where the stress reduction in the long term should be frontloaded to). Considering that dwarves operate permanently inebriated, it would stand to reason that in getting alcohol, they should be operating at roughly baseline, rather than above.
I did manage to get a baroness into positive stress levels (still the lowest positive levels) by refusing her alcohol rations. Turning down the stress relief effect of alcohol, at least by making it not last or making it weaker, would be a good start.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2018, 04:53:56 pm »

Another re-appearing quester. Ame Galkaquab, swordsman, has done the "demand artifact (i deny it) -> leaves map -> returns 1 second later -> demands artifact again" routine for 3 times already.

Going to save the game, and if it keeps happening, post a bug report on mantis.

Edit: Yep, here comes Ame for the 4th time in a row.

Edit 2: His 5th appearance was a was spotted sneaking "I'll live to fight another day!". Will see if he returns again.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:03:46 pm by Orkel »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2018, 05:20:21 pm »

I've had both sneaking thieves detected (and fleeing, to fight another day) and thieves stealing something or other. Given that it should be impossible to sneak into the fortress (guard cats in dog boxes above all entrances), the items stolen were probably stuff lying on the surface after something or other had killed their owners.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2018, 05:40:00 pm »

I've had both sneaking thieves detected (and fleeing, to fight another day) and thieves stealing something or other. Given that it should be impossible to sneak into the fortress (guard cats in dog boxes above all entrances), the items stolen were probably stuff lying on the surface after something or other had killed their owners.
Don't think there's any issues with regular thieves right now (besides their uselessness, of course).

Lemtoad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2018, 01:52:44 am »

Well apparently theres like no adventurers near me in this new fort but in my previous fort I experienced what Orkel did.

Though I think it boils down to, They come and leave trying to sneak in and there a chance they'll become hostile when caught snooping around. However most of the time I think once they are caught they just leave nonchalantly in order to try again. Some however did not return for a lot longer. The ones who went to the mayor demanding an artifact simply left and came back a while later with the same demand.

I think the ones that got information about it and left and came back much later simply passed on the information back to the civ/site? level causing more people seeking the artifact to come your fort. I think the same applies to the adventurers who demand it from the mayor. I'm kinda sure if I had kept playing that first forst eventually an army would have came to demand it.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2018, 03:46:30 am »

Referring to the latest development report: I hope the livestock acquisition code has some checks of what's appropriate, so we don't get "livestock" undead brought back from a necro tower raid, or trolls/ogres/blizzard men/beak dogs from a goblin one (and we probably shouldn't get any of those cavern critters dwarves can't tame either, should the gobbos actually have been able to get them).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2018, 04:09:48 am »

Referring to the latest development report: I hope the livestock acquisition code has some checks of what's appropriate, so we don't get "livestock" undead brought back from a necro tower raid, or trolls/ogres/blizzard men/beak dogs from a goblin one (and we probably shouldn't get any of those cavern critters dwarves can't tame either, should the gobbos actually have been able to get them).
But..but...it wouldn't be Granite without beakdog roasts on the menu. Just select no pet retrieval when you raid goblins if you don't want them.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2018, 11:26:06 am »

The likelyhood of even successfully surviving the battle until its deemed safe to run away from the hive of goblins would take more than enough effort on part of a large dwarf party between a 100 well trained dwarves, lets just see how martial trances fare in such a mosh pit of action. Besides, goblins mass stockpiles goblinite in cheap crude metal goods is likely not worth the effort, id go there almost purely to burn the tower to the ground.

On the other hand you can just mass-drain a elven settlement of remaining giant animals if they don't take part in the battle.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2018, 01:24:54 pm »

But..but...it wouldn't be Granite without beakdog roasts on the menu. Just select no pet retrieval when you raid goblins if you don't want them.
I use the goblin home delivery service for beak dog roasts...
I'm not that concerned about the beak dogs, but rather "animal" building destroyers that aren't as well trained as Gremlins? For the rest, it's more a matter of consistency.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2018, 04:28:16 pm »

The likelyhood of even successfully surviving the battle until its deemed safe to run away from the hive of goblins would take more than enough effort on part of a large dwarf party between a 100 well trained dwarves, lets just see how martial trances fare in such a mosh pit of action. Besides, goblins mass stockpiles goblinite in cheap crude metal goods is likely not worth the effort, id go there almost purely to burn the tower to the ground.

On the other hand you can just mass-drain a elven settlement of remaining giant animals if they don't take part in the battle.
Unfortunately, if combat works in as in worldgen, dwarves will only ever face off with one enemy at a time, hundreds of times, so no martial trance.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2018, 04:43:43 pm »

I use the goblin home delivery service for beak dog roasts...
I'm not that concerned about the beak dogs, but rather "animal" building destroyers that aren't as well trained as Gremlins? For the rest, it's more a matter of consistency.
What's the difference between catching a troll in a cage during a siege and bringing one back from a raid? If you choose to raid goblins for livestock (and, as it says in the devblog, it is a conscious choice you have to make) you should expect to end up with beakdogs and trolls.

Zombies counting as livestock should probably be fixed if that's a real bug though. :)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2018, 05:20:51 pm »

"Livestock" ought to be tame animals, not prisoners of war (as long as the current, rather fixed, dwarven ethics are guiding things). You shouldn't compare the troll to a cow, but rather to a goblin, so if catching prisoners becomes a thing, I'd expect trolls to fall in that category, but not to see any trolls before that. Leading cows on (virtual) ropes is rather different from hauling cages with prisoners (on the back of those cows...). I, for one, am not too thrilled at the prospect of seeing my successful raiders to return, only to have the 10 "livestock" ogres they brought back suddenly start to fight them as soon as they return to the embark.
Beakdogs can not be tamed by dwarves, so again, they ought to attack or flee as soon as they return to the embark (or, rather, before being hauled off from the dark pit), so that would be akin to sending out a party to trap wild animals (which I think someone suggested, but I'd be surprised if that would appear in this arc).
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10