Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05 Released  (Read 98198 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05 Released
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2018, 01:13:03 pm »

Good job, martiuzz!

I've made a somewhat poorer job at reproducing the non necro handler/leader issue with undead sieges. This save http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13475 is made at the very end of a season, and I did get a siege the next season, killed DF reloaded, got a new siege, killed DF and failed to get a siege for 24 attempts, but did get one at 25. They all had different handlers, and the two handlers I looked at first appear during the current year.
I think it's about as close you can get to reliably replicate the issue without somehow explicitly triggering the necro decision to invade (which probably would be a better option, if the decision point can be found and influenced. This save might be useful for that purpose, though).
I've used DFHack to move a necro tower to a single tile island and have embarked right next to it. I've also tried to piss them off by raiding them to steal a book and got seen doing it. Still, it requires a lot of attempts to actually get a siege.

Edit: Seasonal saves turned out to be no good for locating this issue, since while they seemed to reliably get a siege, the leader/handler already existed as a hist fig in the save: they just hadn't arrived yet.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:51:06 pm by PatrikLundell »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2018, 05:14:21 pm »

Thanks for the saves!  They really do save a lot of time; recreating the conditions can be a bit time-consuming.  Even worse, sometimes when I recreate conditions in a debug setting, they miss some subtle trigger that gets generated in normal play, and then the bug doesn't reproduce, which not only wastes time but is also confusing.  So player-provided saves are generally preferable.

Necro-handler:  Yeah, the just-pre-handler save would be perfect, but that's impossible to time -- hopefully I can do it without a perfect save.  I think I have enough saves to get started.  I mean, hopefully it's just sitting right there, but you never know how weird and interlinked something can be until you dive in.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2018, 05:27:25 pm »

I added another save to the perpetually distracted animals bug - seems to happen with NOTHOUGHT pets as well.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2018, 05:43:58 pm »

Ah, yeah, I've got saves for animals worshiping gods, and I've also seen them get a consume alcohol need from seeing/experiencing repeated trauma, which they then can't fill, and get distracted.  I'll fix soon.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2018, 06:07:13 pm »

Ah, yeah, I've got saves for animals worshiping gods, and I've also seen them get a consume alcohol need from seeing/experiencing repeated trauma, which they then can't fill, and get distracted.  I'll fix soon.

Might this also be causing some FPS loss, assuming they are constantly "checking" and failing to consume alcohol / pray / etc?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2018, 07:01:19 pm »

It was negligible in the saves I have, as it's not an expensive test, unless it actually caused pathing, which I haven't seen personally.  But it won't hurt to fix it, since it's best to get rid of as much unneeded AI possible.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2018, 08:15:45 pm »

Seems like do many problems stem from pathing.

Is there any improvements that can be made there?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2018, 09:25:06 pm »

Seems like do many problems stem from pathing.

Is there any improvements that can be made there?
On the player side, I'm aware that pathing can be improved by using traffic designations to reduce the amount of open areas from being considered for paths, and to cage beasts when possible (non grazers).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2018, 06:04:18 am »

I've now pushed the pre necro siege save up to a single tick before the next season, but unfortunately loading the save (I used DFHack's quicksave) did not repeat the siege, so it's still dependent on load time RNGs for the necros to determine whether to conduct a siege or not. If it's still easier to work with that save than the previous one (one day before the end of the season), I'll upload it.

Vylc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2018, 12:04:13 pm »

Do temple performers actually do sacred dances or anything related in dwarf mode? or am I missing something?

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2018, 02:20:57 pm »

Do temple performers actually do sacred dances or anything related in dwarf mode? or am I missing something?

At the moment they seem like pointless fluff, I've never assigned any performers to temples and they work fine (dwarves pray).
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2018, 01:29:29 am »

At the moment they seem like pointless fluff, I've never assigned any performers to temples and they work fine (dwarves pray).
I believe that's correct technically, although I'd rather see it as building blocks for future functionality that hasn't yet been given any useful function (like those visitor types that currently serve only as a crowd in which spies can hide).

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2018, 12:20:42 pm »

What I find strange is that even with questers arriving and leaving properly (with the alcohol privacy tweak), and checking out my museum, I never see messages about questers actually finding out artifacts (Urist has revealed the presence of Fancy Artifact Name to Quester Name)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2018, 02:55:38 pm »

What I find strange is that even with questers arriving and leaving properly (with the alcohol privacy tweak), and checking out my museum, I never see messages about questers actually finding out artifacts (Urist has revealed the presence of Fancy Artifact Name to Quester Name)
They talked, didn't find any information, decided they'd talked to enough people, then left. Presumably.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2018, 06:03:17 pm »

They talked, didn't find any information, decided they'd talked to enough people, then left. Presumably.

Though still no "Revealed presence of" announcement, I got 6 petitions and 1 artifact demand, after using the cleanmayor script for stuck meeting queue.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:08:29 pm by Orkel »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10