Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05 Released  (Read 98202 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05 Released
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2018, 10:09:07 pm »

Anybody spotted a hello-goodbye siege since 44.01?
Seems like they've possibly been eradicated? Presumably as a result of all the fortress border work for the release.

Lemtoad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2018, 10:32:16 pm »

Seems like they've possibly been eradicated? Presumably as a result of all the fortress border work for the release.

Only 1 in 18+ in game years.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2018, 11:01:16 pm »

Only 1 in 18+ in game years.
Oh, so they do still exist then? Ah well.
Seems like they're a lot less common though, so that's nice.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2018, 05:12:16 am »

I've gotten a hello/goodbye siege sequence on 0.44.05:
- Spring year 3: The undead are coming for you. A goblin spearman shows up and immediately disappears.
- Summer year 3: Your enemies are laying siege to your fortress. A goblin spearman shows up and immediately disappears. Both the location and the name of the spearman look like they were the same as in spring.
- Autum year 3: The undead are coming for me. This time it's a force consisting of an eerily familiar goblin spearman handler, a fisherdwarf necromancer, and about 10 undead appear at approximately the same location as in spring and summer.
Unfortunately, the invaders are bugged even worse than the 0.40.X undead invasions usually were. The necro fled more or less immediately (fairly standard), while the undead mill around the handler, who drifts aimlessly with no intention to path into the fortress (like 0.40.X), but the undead are content to fire bolts at targets of opportunity, while not mustering the will to chase anything. The closest entrance tunnel is about 15 tiles away.
It can be noted that an earlier first goblin siege (about 10 goblins) had no problem pathing to the fortress (opposite side of the completely flat 3*3 embark, with a similar entrance tunnel a comparable distance away from their embark entry point).

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2018, 10:46:34 pm »

I've also seen a couple hello/goodbye sieges, very early in 0.44.05. I've been highly grateful for the goodbye part so far, and just assumed they were moving worldgen armies.

In reference to the DevLog a little bit ago, ToadyOne, cleaning fixes are awesome, but I'd bet the vomit was mostly from MANTIS 0008508, the migrants arriving massively cave adapted thing, which seems to be dramatically worse in 0.44.0x, (and wins my vote for most annoying but ultimately not very serious bug.)
Team Bug Fix!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2018, 10:54:30 pm »

Hmm, I wonder what's up with the undead pathing.  Maybe it's just that the handler is the commander and unambitious.  I can check out a save, especially if it goes on a hello/goodbye report as well -- no idea what's up there and have to catch it in action for hope.  As usual, I've never seen one.

Ah, yes, 8508 is on the radar.  Hopefully I can sort it all out.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2018, 11:20:02 pm »

Just for reference, are the undead meant to turn up with living colleagues (non-necromancers) in some kind of lore way? I had a similar sequence to the one Patrik mentioned above. Zombies milling around their living companions, until the siege was over. Then later, hello-goodbye sieges featuring only the living members.

Kind of solved it by going to visit the tower in adventurer. Zombies were immediately hostile to their living buddies. Ha ha.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2018, 11:22:24 pm »

Did legends mode say how the living got there?  It's supposed to be just necromancers and zombies.  Something weird is up.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2018, 11:25:08 pm »

Did legends mode say how the living got there?  It's supposed to be just necromancers and zombies.  Something weird is up.
Legends had the leader just spring into being as a member of the tower, unknown parentage, just in time to lead the first zombie siege.

Will check dffd, see if I uploaded that world at all. It was back in 43.05 but exactly as Patrik describes above so probably same issue.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 11:33:26 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2018, 12:16:01 am »

Ah, after world gen?  Very good!  It might be elevating non-zombie leaders out of the zombie pops?  As a patch for a lack-of-generals problem in dying worlds, with the oversight that zombies don't make good generals.  It'd be odd that the zombie state didn't elevate too in this case though, but if I didn't foresee elevation being applied to zombie pops, it might have skipped that part.  I'll have a look.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2018, 02:02:14 am »

FPS fixes are always awesome! Hmm, so the queue currently seems to be 10523, 8508, zombie pop fixes and maybe possibly the hello/goodbye sieges if lucky enough to catch one.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2018, 03:06:11 am »

FPS fixes are always awesome! Hmm, so the queue currently seems to be 10523, 8508, zombie pop fixes and maybe possibly the hello/goodbye sieges if lucky enough to catch one.
Hard to guarantee a save for an h/b-siege though.  :(

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2018, 03:11:00 am »

FPS fixes are always awesome!
"Some of the gains are universal, some depend on, say, how many chickens are in play." ~ I hope the amount of chickens doesn't have a positive effect on FPS. All that clucking just for few more FPS...

Hard to guarantee a save for an h/b-siege though.  :(
A random save which happens to be just before such siege is probably the most viable option. Not the easiest issue to replicate, though, yes.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2018, 03:45:19 am »

I did make a save and a copy as I wrote the post above just in case it would be needed, so the save can be found here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13463.

I doubt the save has any useful info on hello/goodbye sieges (possibly some historical info found via the handler? He's probably not the leader, though, as the necro probably held that position). As to catching them, I'd expect a save just when the siege is announced should be the best option. If the siege turns out to do a "goodbye" I'd then reload the save a number of times to see if it is consistent.
A "random" save just before is reasonably easy, since you'd just save manually on the 28:th of the last month of each season. Then the issue is how consistently hello/goodbye sieges are replicated. I'd start with trying siege announcement saves, though.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2018, 04:44:52 am »

Thanks!  I'm hoping it's just the leader elevation issue; it certain doesn't expect a random mortal when it's handing out roles for the undead invasion.

Chickens:  Pigs too, anybody that roots around.  The root around code was causing a loot of extra pathing, as, for no reason, it cleared the current path, and if the chicken was heading somewhere far away, they'd root around every few squares and then repath to their destination.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10