Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05 Released  (Read 98181 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05 Released
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2018, 06:31:54 am »

There's some pretty weird choices for leader of a siege out there. Had a (modded) minotaur siege recently. 80 bloodthirsty, steel-clad bulls. They'd chosen a dog to lead the siege (managed to somehow scrape a victory in Legends after killing it too).

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2018, 07:25:44 am »

Thanks!  I'm hoping it's just the leader elevation issue; it certain doesn't expect a random mortal when it's handing out roles for the undead invasion.

Chickens:  Pigs too, anybody that roots around.  The root around code was causing a loot of extra pathing, as, for no reason, it cleared the current path, and if the chicken was heading somewhere far away, they'd root around every few squares and then repath to their destination.

Cool! I hope this improves the lag in large towns, as there are always many chickens and things that root around there. It is so big a issue that I usually avoid large towns as it takes forever to walk just a few steps on them.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2018, 08:42:54 am »

omg fps fixes; ToadyOne your efforts are legendary.  :D

In other words I am (will be) one happy camper.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2018, 01:25:14 am »

Looking at the bug tracker comments I now understand. Visitors resort to getting information from the fortress pets because everyone else is too drunk to talk.  :)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2018, 03:00:05 am »

Noticed this comment on tracker for bug 10523, didn't expect this to be the reason of visitors not leaving, haha! Glad to see it fixed.
I fixed the main problem (alcohol was making people more private, not less, despite the raws, so nobody was blabbing to questers)

I am curious, is this going to have effects on dwarves in fort mode overall? Possibly result in dwarves talking to eachother more in the tavern, resulting in more various relationships being formed (friendships, grudges, marriages, etc)?

If it's going to result in more bar brawls due to discussions and thus arguments becoming more common, taking a look at the relatively often seen bar brawl loyalty cascades and bar brawl deaths (due to unarmed combat being deadly with any kind of training) might be a good idea. Like at the moment I always keep my soldiers in active training so they don't socialize in the tavern, as having a bar brawl with even a single soldier in it will result in many deaths due to punches and kicks crushing skulls and causing twisting damage to joints and muscles. Sometimes even resulting in cascades.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:50:28 am by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Lemtoad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2018, 10:30:34 am »

Thank you based Toady.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2018, 02:02:04 am »

I tried to see if I could catch hello/goodbye sieges, but caught the never ending (I suspect it's "only" a season or year as normal) siege bug instead: If I continue my base save there's a good chance I get a small goblin siege. If I save DF at the announcement (using the vanilla save function rather than DFHack quicksave, just to make sure DFHack isn't playing up somehow) the siege doesn't end when it should. In one case I caught all the visible goblins in cage traps, and in another they all fled, but the siege indication remains. When I haven't saved on the siege announcement the siege has ended after the last goblin has left the map (regardless of whether any were caught in traps or not).

If it's of interest I can provide the base save and/or a bugged siege save.

While posting, I'll take the opportunity to say that I'm quite pleased with this bug fixing phase. A number of significant issues dealt with and with a sprinkling of lesser ones dealt with.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2018, 04:44:27 am »

The privacy bug shouldn't affect friendships -- chatting uses a different personality facet (bashful, I believe).

Yeah, never-ending sieges are also annoying, maybe worse than the hello/goodbye ones in effect.  It's one of those things where both saves are probably useful; the announcement save can be diagnosed directly as for why the siege state isn't terminating, but that might not get the root cause.  On the other hand, with only the base save, I might never get the never-ending siege, and thus learn nothing at all.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2018, 05:24:25 am »

Non ending sieges saves requires two DFFD files due to the file size constraints.

The "base" file (before the invasion): http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13466. Continuing this save has led to an invasion shortly after 4 times out of 5. Two of the invasion times I saved immediately on the invasion announcement, and the other two times I just unpaused. In all cases the enemy was quickly caged/fled, with the siege tag being lifted when the game was just unpaused, but not when the game was saved (and reloaded) to resume.

The "bugged" file (saved as the siege is announced): http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13467. Continuing this save causes the invaders to get caught/flee, but without the SIEGE tag being lifted.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2018, 09:19:15 am »

So in the raws, the alcohol syndrome has:

[CE_CHANGE_PERSONALITY:FACET:BASHFUL:-50:FACET:PRIVACY:-50:FACET:BRAVERY:25:FACET:CONFIDENCE:25:FACET:POLITE NESS:-25:FACET:THOUGHTLESSNESS:25:PROB:100:SIZE_DILUTES: START:10:PEAK:120:END:480:DWF_STRETCH:4]

I guess this was the privacy bug then, lower is actually more private and it has -50 not 50. I changed that to 50.

Privacy Level
91-100 shares intimate details of life without sparing a thought to repercussions or propriety
76-90 is not a private person and freely shares details of [his/her] life
61-75 tends to share [his/her] own experiences and thoughts with others
25-39 tends not to reveal personal information
10-24 has a strong tendency toward privacy
0-9 is private to the point of paranoia, unwilling to reveal even basic information about [him/her]self

15 minutes later, in my fort, I have seen several questers leave, for the first time ever! Presumably because they got the info they needed. I think this might work as a fix until the actual patch .06 arrives.

Edit: it works perfectly. Questers are coming and leaving, coming and leaving just like it should work!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:18:55 am by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2018, 09:20:08 am »

Working on getting a hello/goodbye siege save. No luck yet. Right next to a highly populated tower, so something should turn up eventually.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2018, 09:28:36 am »

The privacy bug shouldn't affect friendships -- chatting uses a different personality facet (bashful, I believe).

Yeah, never-ending sieges are also annoying, maybe worse than the hello/goodbye ones in effect.  It's one of those things where both saves are probably useful; the announcement save can be diagnosed directly as for why the siege state isn't terminating, but that might not get the root cause.  On the other hand, with only the base save, I might never get the never-ending siege, and thus learn nothing at all.
I believe there are similar bugs affecting caravans and possibly migrants on the tracker, so they might have the same root cause (at least, that's my theory).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2018, 02:31:12 pm »

One thing I noticed about the legends in the live-zombie-leader save I have is that the tower appeared to be doing a lot of attacks before they got to the player, and the leader was generated on one of those attacks (against a forest retreat).  So it might be tricking capturing the live leader being created in the act.

[CE_CHANGE_PERSONALITY:FACET:BASHFUL:-50:FACET:PRIVACY:-50:FACET:BRAVERY:25:FACET:CONFIDENCE:25:FACET:POLITE NESS:-25:FACET:THOUGHTLESSNESS:25:PROB:100:SIZE_DILUTES: START:10:PEAK:120:END:480:DWF_STRETCH:4]

I guess this was the privacy bug then, lower is actually more private and it has -50 not 50. I changed that to 50.

Just note that you'll need to revert that raw change in the upcoming version -- "PRIVACY:-50" is the correct direction after all, but the bug was screwing it up.  The new version patches the numbers in loaded old version saves.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2018, 06:50:02 pm »

Hey Toad, forgive if this is a poor place for such a suggestion, but while you're looking and improving the cleaning code, could you put a line or two in to make it so dwarves don't try to clean areas with Restricted Traffic designation? Mainly for those folks who like to decorate their fort with blood paint.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2018, 08:38:53 pm »

Hey Toad, forgive if this is a poor place for such a suggestion, but while you're looking and improving the cleaning code, could you put a line or two in to make it so dwarves don't try to clean areas with Restricted Traffic designation? Mainly for those folks who like to decorate their fort with blood paint.
Wait, what about those of us who want clean restricted traffic areas?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10