Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

I'm letting you pick the next universe... based only on the name. Enjoy!

Microscope
- 2 (22.2%)
Ditch
- 0 (0%)
Shattered
- 2 (22.2%)
Jail
- 2 (22.2%)
Failure
- 3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Roll to Dodge: Acter's Revenge  (Read 19467 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge: Acter's Revenge
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 12:03:41 pm »

Name: Gello
Description: God of Stormwinds. Doesn't know when to let up.
Primary Focus: Air
Secondary Focus: Vaccum
Symbol: Coin.

Alignment?
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 12:21:33 pm »

And I'm really sure I mentioned this, but your primary and secondary elements must be adjacent. That is, your primary must be one of the places composing your secondary in the inner planes

Everyone check your sheets!
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 12:53:34 pm »

And I'm really sure I mentioned this, but your primary and secondary elements must be adjacent. That is, your primary must be one of the places composing your secondary in the inner planes

Nope you didn't mention it at all, you told us and I quote...
Secondary focus element: Choose from the para-elemental and semi-elemental planes of D&D - that is, an intersection of two classical elements.
thus all you said was to choose one from those planes not that it needed to be related to our primary focus.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

wertyzerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 02:06:48 pm »

Spoiler: Wertyzerty's sheet (click to show/hide)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 02:43:52 pm »

Nope you didn't mention it at all, you told us and I quote...
Secondary focus element: Choose from the para-elemental and semi-elemental planes of D&D - that is, an intersection of two classical elements.
thus all you said was to choose one from those planes not that it needed to be related to our primary focus.

Yeah, I realized that. Sorry.

Aliemma

• Bay Watcher
  • Rejecting reality and substituting my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 03:22:30 pm »

Eh, never played a God game, let's try this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:20:34 pm by Aliemma »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 05:39:29 pm »

Let's give this a try.

Spoiler: THE FRIEND OF CAVES! (click to show/hide)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 05:44:43 pm »

Spoiler: Alas poor Varalin. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:03:07 pm by AbstractTraitorHero »
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 06:46:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:53:12 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 09:13:02 pm »

Full backstory later.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:30:37 pm by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 10:54:07 am »

Time to elaborate on mechanics a tad.

Rolls

This is a roll to dodge, so of course we will be rolling a d6 for every action. The results will be interpreted thus:

1: Not only do you fail the action, you make it much more difficult to attempt in the future
2: You fail to produce any result whatsoever, but at least you don't have a negative result
3: You accomplish part of what you wanted, but it's not as much as you hoped. If the action is already partially compete, I'll take this as success.
4: You accomplish what you wanted to.
5: You do what you wanted and you also accomplish some other goals.
6: In the loosest sense, you succeed, but the result is not favorable by any stretch.

There's a difference between the ability to attempt an action and the roll to determine success. What actions you can attempt are basically based on the magic/power system of each individual universe. However, once you attempt them, they get rolled. The rolls are always d6, and the only things that can affect them are:

• Focus elements, grants +1 if you match either to the action
  • If you match both primary and secondary focus, you get a +d2 and overshoot protection
  • Symbol, provides either critical failure (inanimate) or overshoot (animate) reroll
  • Acter
Conditions

The conditions under which you can attempt an action will be very different in different universes, but there are some common factors.

Every action possible is assigned a primary element, chosen from the main elements and the energies, as well as a secondary element, adjacent to the primary, chosen from the intersection elements (para and semi planes). For actions that are primarily informational, such as mind control, illusions, or alterations to reality, I’ll use the classical associations of elements to mental faculties - fire for willpower, water for emotion, air for reason, and earth for possessions.

As mentioned above and in other places, matching focus elements gives you bonuses to rolls. However, the primary focus element also decides whether you can undertake an action at all or not. Most actions can be done by any god except one whose primary focus element is the polar opposite of the action’s primary - creation and decay, fire and water, air and earth. Some actions, labeled specific actions, represent specialized applications of divine power and can only be conducted by a god with the same focus element as the action. Some, labeled general, are simple to understand and undertake and any god - even one with a conflicting focus element - can undertake them. Neither specific nor general actions get a bonus for matching the primary - these represent either actions that are too generic to be helped, or specific enough that even attempting them requires your specialization.

Universes

Everything not stated here varies by the universe.

Universes can have different physical laws, different lifeforms, different systems of magic, different levels of technology… different everything.

Universes are marked with numbers as well as short, descriptive names. You aim to run across universes in order to escape Acter. Acter requires four days (96 hours) to cross a universe by default; this can be increased through your actions. Gating out of a universe requires two different resources:

Enthalpy, or Chaos, corresponding to how much you’ve changed the world’s future to be more unpredictable. You earn this by interfering with the worlds below you, causing destruction, conflict, decay, and generally messing with people. The amount needed to exit is equal to the number of gods that you entered with. This means that if you pick up allies (read - more people join) during the universe, you don’t have to collect any more. You can accumulate more after this requirement is met; each Enthalpy accumulated will delay Acter by one hour.

Quandaries, or Cynicism, act more as a lock than a resource, created when sentients are placed into difficult and no-win situations. Each Universe has a certain amount of potential Quandaries, corresponding to particular choices where an individual gets to make a major decision. You must find and trigger each of these by making the choice as difficult and deceptive as possible - a Morton’s Fork, as it were. All of them must be triggered to exit the universe. Some universes may have none - these only have an Enthalpy requirement. If a Quandary is left for a long time, the individual in question may make a decision anyway. This will nihl out both the Quandary and Potential, so it doesn’t hurt you - but it does increase the chance that another Potential forms, and every existing Quandary when you exit delays Acter by another day, so you should try to keep the dilemma going.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:11:34 am by blueturtle1134 »

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 11:05:51 am »

So we have to screw with everyone and be generally horrible.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 11:10:32 am »

You Reversed the "Animate" and "Inanimate" symbol Effects in the mechanics.
Quote from: Character sheet
Symbol: What physical object represents your god and anchors its personality? If it is an animate object, then any 6s you roll near it are re-rolled; if inanimate, the same effect applies to 1s.
Quote from: mechanics
Symbol, provides either critical failure (animate) or overshoot (inanimate) reroll
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:12:58 am by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 11:14:17 am »

So we have to screw with everyone and be generally horrible.

We have to do everything Acter wouldn't.

You Reversed the "Animate" and "Inanimate" symbol Effects in the mechanics.
Quote from: Character sheet
Symbol: What physical object represents your god and anchors its personality? If it is an animate object, then any 6s you roll near it are re-rolled; if inanimate, the same effect applies to 1s.
Quote from: mechanics
Symbol, provides either critical failure (animate) or overshoot (inanimate) reroll

Edits have been made.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2018, 04:18:21 pm »

We’re probably screwed.

I mean, we probably should have seen this coming.

I guess we’re all to blame a little bit. The Lawful Evil gods kinda launched their long-planned invasion of his territories, storming them with screeching dark bats and demons of destruction and flame, burning his cities and scorching his lands. Meanwhile the Chaotic gods chose to drag his moon out of orbit and slam it into his city - instantly obliterating both - while spreading a corruption that turned his races into mindless abominations. Meanwhile, the entire Lawful Good Pantheon spontaneously decided that he didn't fit with their increasingly fanatic standards of purity and conspired to pull him into a drumhead sham of a trial while firing off a mind thingy that turned his spectral mantra-ray buddies into ravenous psychotic killers that obeyed them. It didn’t help that Varalin was spouting insane sentimental nonsense and driving mortals mad as usual. Nobody was sure what Nephilim was doing at the moment, but it turns out that he was mass teleporting out the mortals caught in the crossfire. That probably got misinterpreted as him stealing their souls or something.

Either way, it's too late now.

As it turns out, Acter's a polyversal singularity. A pattern repeated through all the worlds in the cosmos. He exists in so many universes. In thousands of iterations. Always helping mortals, always improving. Always being beaten down, always seeing madness all around him, with nothing to do but take it.

Until now.

And now we’ve annoyed him enough, and he’s finally snapped, and he’s drawn all his shards into himself, ripping the very fabric of reality itself into shreds. The Acter we knew is only one drop in a vast ocean. Countless copies of him, consciousness and sentience merged together, meshing at the closest levels, combined into a single collective intelligence. Divine power flowing in from every corner of the Realmverse, pooling into a single massive junction. Every fragment independent and yet united, bound by a single purpose, a single thought, a single intention: improve.

Acter burns with the power of a thousand gods. His physical form is the slightest bit of his might leaking into the observable universe and it is already sufficient to unmake entire worlds. Reality itself bends in favor of improvement and peace while in his presence. He can be subdivided into a thousand pieces, attenuated and restricted in a million ways, and still directly best any god on its home turf. Easily. “Curb-stomp battle” doesn’t even begin to describe it. Upon waking up, with the slightest fraction of his energy in the moments before he realized that he can control it, the sheer power of his gestalt annihilated the four closest universes. Over the next few quanta of thought he decided to wander along the rest of the universes, consuming every other god, and instantly organized the rest of the Realmverse into a collimated fractal space-filling path, a single road through all the myriad dimensions. Then he started the chase.

Acter is coming. Even now, if you look up at the sky and even higher, through the abstractified roof of the world, you can hear him smashing against Universe -5. Using his sheer power to tunnel through dimensions, tearing down the walls between worlds. Each world hinders him by a time, through sheer ontological inertia resisting the arrival of outside forces, but he will break through. We’ve escaped only because he was careless. One of his first actions was simply to pick us up and throw us as hard as possible, with a simple, clear thought of “get out”.

He threw us nine universes. Nine universes. A gateway between dimensions is not a simple thing to do. A universe resists foreign material, things that are not conforming to its laws. Opening a gateway to a single universe is a fine achievement for an entire generation of gods and men, and he chucked us with enough force that momentum threw us across nine.

You wake up with your nose in the grass. It feels slightly damp on your face.

This is bone-chillingly frightening. You’re a god. You’re not supposed to feel things on your face. You’re not supposed to be tied to the mortal world.

For a moment you wonder if Acter actually had enough power to force-descend you, but you realize quickly that it must be just stunning, because you soon feel your old omnipotence returning and begin gathering information about the plane you’ve landed in.

Universe 1: Arcadia
Enthalpy 0/13 | Quandary 0|0

It’s a rather peaceful world. The skies are sunny and blue, the earth is covered in flowing plains of grass. Cicadas sing in the brush and small communities of humans grow crops and live simple lives.

Appearances can be deceiving. The cicadas are sapient and are brilliant scientists. They don’t exactly have technology, but have poured their efforts into physics and mathematics and have attained significant Reality Warping powers.

The land is a single large continent spanning the equator, with oceans near the poles. The people of this world live in villages and use basic agriculture. They worship the Cicadas as gods, and for their part, the Cicadas guide and advise them whenever possible. Some catch fish near the shores.

Asynchronous turns

There is no need to have everyone take a turn at once.

Anyone can post actions at any time. I will tell you how long they take and then evaluate the order in which they can be conducted, their starts and ends, how they fit relative to each other, etc. on this sheet. This means that no matter how behind you get, you can jump back in at any time - you’ll retrospectively get back the time you missed. You cannot take actions if your personal action line is currently the longest - give other gods a chance.

You’re a god and got beaten up by insects

The cicadas can access limited divine magic by carving large shapes into the grass.

They can build Shielding Sigils against any element, semi/para element, or alignment. If they build a sigil against the element, secondary element, or caster’s alignment, the action gets a -1.

This totally stacks too.

Building the nth sigil takes 2^n hours, so you at least have some time to wait.

Wounded gods

You haven't fully recovered yet from Acter's opening attack.

Rolling a 3 or lower after modifiers triggers a second roll, and the lower is taken.

Head start

Acter threw you 5 universes away. You have a 20 day lead on him and each universe you exit buys you 4 days and a bit.

GO!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16