Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: make all your military both ranged and melee  (Read 1600 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
make all your military both ranged and melee
« on: January 16, 2018, 05:17:35 pm »

A dwarf that gets a hammer equipped, and after that a crossbow (and quiver, and bolts) will spar in the barracks using the hammer, while carrying the crossbow as second weapon. As soon as you remove the hammers from the equipment though, they will go for archery practice. If you then assign the hammer again, they will keep practicing archery. If you remove the crossbow, they will go back to sparring in a barracks.

This can be even used to quickly make them swap weapons in combat. Make them drop the one they're currently using, and they will seamlessly swap to the second weapon. If you make sure you have no stockpiles accepting crossbows, quivers, and bolts during battle, the weapons will remain where they dropped them, easy to quickly equip them again.

I guess technically, all military dwarves could be equipped with a crossbow, for a first volley attack, and then switch to their preferred melee. Needn't be restricted to hammers.

EDIT: oh, hey, my elves will even spar in the barracks using their crossbows as hammers, (while wearing hammers as secondary weapon), as long as I make sure they have no archery range assigned, or they will go crazy on the shooting practice.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:18:28 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: make all your military both ranged and melee
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 09:02:32 pm »

So the only downsides is time spent on stockpiling dropped equipment & micromanaging?

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 11:11:23 pm »

It's like everything else in DF. The only problem is micromanagement...
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 03:33:34 am »

So the only downsides is time spent on stockpiling dropped equipment & micromanaging?
yep, and the micromanagement is pretty minimal

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 04:51:00 am »

What happens if you have a hammer in one hand and a crossbow in the other? You know, I just had to ask...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 05:04:33 am »

they only use the weapon that was equipped first

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 04:12:07 pm »

This is an interesting find. Can you get them to drop the crossbow if they have no archery range? I see that you got them to start practicing with the crossbow as a hammer. Do they do that immediately or switch to preferred weapon?

my elves

Wait, what?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 04:27:52 pm »

This is an interesting find. Can you get them to drop the crossbow if they have no archery range? I see that you got them to start practicing with the crossbow as a hammer. Do they do that immediately or switch to preferred weapon?
making them drop the crossbow is as simple as de-assigning it from them in the (m)iliary>>(e)quipment screen. They'll drop the crossbow and quiver, and switch to using their melee weapon that was carried as second weapon, as their first weapon. Re-assigning the crossbow will still make them use their melee weapon. To make them use crossbows again, you need to un-assign the melee weapon. It's a rotation system.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:29:40 pm by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 04:29:08 pm »

my elves
Wait, what?
Elf citizens are awesome. They don't die of old age, and have amazingly high attributes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:33:57 pm by martinuzz »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 06:50:50 pm »

When you unassign weapons, are you doing it for each squad position? Have you tried using uniform assignment to the entire squad, where you would have a couple of uniforms that are duplicates of each other except for their weapons?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 07:07:06 pm »

Haven't tried, I never use uniforms, but I suppose that could work as well