Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: how do newbies deal with dust/gas FB.....  (Read 856 times)

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how do newbies deal with dust/gas FB.....
« on: January 16, 2018, 01:26:16 am »

the only FB I can't deal with

I tried cause cave-in above them but the success rate is very low. only a few cases work.

are all FBs (as building-destroyers) guaranteed to be lure by a single furniture (even a door)? if so, how far will they detect the furniture?
those FBs seems just stay in the edge of the map, making my weaponmasters hard to take a shower in time.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how do newbies deal with dust/gas FB.....
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 04:32:54 am »

I kill my FBs with mine cart triggered repeating menacing spike traps placed two tiles from a bait door in my cavern entrance airlock.
I use cave-ins for the cases where the FBs are made out of material stronger than my spikes, and since I lock them inside my airlock the cave-ins hit them every time (the spikes etc. are destroyed by the cave-in, though).

A recent bug causes FBs, titans, and megabeast to just hover at the map edge. That's fixed in 0.44.05 (actually earlier, but 0.44.04 has a rather nasty bug and so should be skipped).

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 06:51:06 am »

I kill my FBs with mine cart triggered repeating menacing spike traps placed two tiles from a bait door in my cavern entrance airlock.
I use cave-ins for the cases where the FBs are made out of material stronger than my spikes, and since I lock them inside my airlock the cave-ins hit them every time (the spikes etc. are destroyed by the cave-in, though).

A recent bug causes FBs, titans, and megabeast to just hover at the map edge. That's fixed in 0.44.05 (actually earlier, but 0.44.04 has a rather nasty bug and so should be skipped).

so a qualified FB are supposed to charge forward against the entrance of fort?
can I lure FB who hover at the edge by a lure building in current version 44.03? I'm waiting for LNP and the LNP for 44.04 didn't show well with phoebus.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 07:31:32 am »

0.44.05 should cause loitering FBs to start moving when a save is upgraded. I don't know if you can lure the current loiterers with bait, which, in that case, would be the dorf you send to build the item, as a dorf is likely to be visible at the same range as a building is.

Personally I'm waiting for a 0.44.05 LNP before continuing to play.

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 08:27:45 am »

0.44.05 should cause loitering FBs to start moving when a save is upgraded. I don't know if you can lure the current loiterers with bait, which, in that case, would be the dorf you send to build the item, as a dorf is likely to be visible at the same range as a building is.

Personally I'm waiting for a 0.44.05 LNP before continuing to play.

just checked wiki. all building destroyers EXCEPT FBs can sense buildings 10 tiles away. Guess have to lure it with a kitten

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 11:25:55 am »

I've used similar setups in the past, although not as automated.  It added a little more Fun when things could go wrong, I guess.

If I remember correctly I built it using drawbridges attached to a lever to seal a room connected to the caverns, and had spike traps attached to another lever.  Whenever I got an announcement I'd send someone to trigger the drawbridge lever and hope it caught whatever was on the way.  Making the airlock larger increased the odds of timing it right.  After the FB was caught, I'd just set the trap lever on repeat and watch the fun.  I don't think I ever had anything that steel spikes wouldn't eventually kill, but that was also back in .31.25.

It's possible to make a much more robust system with an artifact as bait, maybe with pressure plates to trigger the drawbridges and seal the room.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 01:45:51 pm »

I like to have a decent military. In case of strong abilities like dust, I arrange it so that all the dwarves can rush the beast as soon as it enters sight; a checkerboard of walls should perform reasonably well to stop distance attacks because if everything goes well they only spot eachother when the dwarves are in melee range. I usually used corners or quarantine valves tough so the dwarves might perform poorly if there's never more than 5 not laying prone, meaning i can't vouch for the checkerboard.

In case of invaders i like to have the troops at the map edge so they can kill goblins before their buddies even spawn.
let

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 01:54:53 pm »

Manual lever pull on repeat ceased to work properly with the jobs rewrite (0.40.X), together with normal chicken race aquifer piercing.
The reason is that now the dorf will pull the lever, walk away, and then possibly take up the "pull lever" job after walking 10 steps, walk away...

The usage of a door bait both serves the purpose of luring the FB into the airlock, hold it there while it (hopefully) gets killed, and buy time to close the outer drawbridge while it's destroying the door (the inner one should have been closed as soon as the cavern was evacuated).

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 09:09:17 pm »

Really any use of bridges as airlocks will give you plenty of time try out lures/traps/militias/etc until you find the one you like best. I'm partial to heavy minecarts on circles of impulse rails to crush invaders. (Though this is equally deadly to any dwarves that run out to fetch socks, but hey, they probably deserved it.)

Later in the game, a captured cave spider lets you put a line of webbed cages behind your other defenses, so trapavoid creatures like FB's will be stopped there. That leaves web-flinging FB/titans as the only threat needing special handling.

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 12:46:10 am »

are u all playing the latest version? because in ver 44.03 FBs just stay at the edge of the map. how to lure them to the airlock by this situation?

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 01:41:10 am »

Thing with FB is that they are hostile to each other and to goblin invasions. They also kill anything alive on sight. So capturing FB in a room closed by a bridge ASAP, before FB dies uselessly on map, is your highest priority. Disable hauling jobs on miners. Put all stockpiles collecting from outside to "collect from linked only". Forbid all wheelbarrows and other stuff outside burrow. Enlarge burrow temporarily to dig a hole for FB ASAP.

Sometimes you can use FB, depending what material it is made of, to:
- train your marksdwarves on them (shooting from 1 level above for the dust, I guess)
- collect cheap FB silk, but still silk, in a silk farm (use chained dogs as bait and bridges to control production)
- destroy irredeemable FBs made of weaker stuff (risky business, as you can lose your precious FB, better just floor roof in the room and use a cave in on rejects, or release it during invasion)
- use FB in traps and dust-fire-poison-web shooting towers (I think you need to use 2 lines of fortifications, when the trap is set for demons passing by)

What I am getting sad over is Titans. They can learn and can be caged like regular animals. However Titans don't breed and it is a soft naked target with no economic uses for it. Intelligent species, not only hostile, but also animals are getting me so sad when they are being hunt down by my hunters. I wish I didn't have to kill them, but it is what you always have to do with uninvited immigrants/invaders. :P~ Indeed, so breathtakingly sad... I wish we could catch them, retrained them, and make slave colony of these specimen. If they could haul stuff and be a meat shield for my Dwarves during invasions, I would even create for them their own shelters on my embarks and five them tools, armor and weapons, though no cloths (their degradation eats into fps). Using Trolls instead alpacas could be interesting, because of alpacas' grazing factor. :)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 02:09:01 am »

I think I've heard crossbows work okay against things that seem like they should be invulnerable to everything.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 02:14:55 am »

I think I've heard crossbows work okay against things that seem like they should be invulnerable to everything.

I noticed my oak bolts kill pretty effectively animals, while some other types of wooden bolts just bounce off from animals to no end. Use willow bolts for training maybe?

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 02:20:46 am »

Thing with FB is that they are hostile to each other and to goblin invasions. They also kill anything alive on sight. So capturing FB in a room closed by a bridge ASAP, before FB dies uselessly on map, is your highest priority. Disable hauling jobs on miners. Put all stockpiles collecting from outside to "collect from linked only". Forbid all wheelbarrows and other stuff outside burrow. Enlarge burrow temporarily to dig a hole for FB ASAP.

Sometimes you can use FB, depending what material it is made of, to:
- train your marksdwarves on them (shooting from 1 level above for the dust, I guess)
- collect cheap FB silk, but still silk, in a silk farm (use chained dogs as bait and bridges to control production)
- destroy irredeemable FBs made of weaker stuff (risky business, as you can lose your precious FB, better just floor roof in the room and use a cave in on rejects, or release it during invasion)
- use FB in traps and dust-fire-poison-web shooting towers (I think you need to use 2 lines of fortifications, when the trap is set for demons passing by)

What I am getting sad over is Titans. They can learn and can be caged like regular animals. However Titans don't breed and it is a soft naked target with no economic uses for it. Intelligent species, not only hostile, but also animals are getting me so sad when they are being hunt down by my hunters. I wish I didn't have to kill them, but it is what you always have to do with uninvited immigrants/invaders. :P~ Indeed, so breathtakingly sad... I wish we could catch them, retrained them, and make slave colony of these specimen. If they could haul stuff and be a meat shield for my Dwarves during invasions, I would even create for them their own shelters on my embarks and five them tools, armor and weapons, though no cloths (their degradation eats into fps). Using Trolls instead alpacas could be interesting, because of alpacas' grazing factor. :)

the poison dust can go several level above. learnt that by a failed cave-in attemption.
which version are u playing? do FBs stay in the map edge or charge at ur fort?

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 02:23:53 am »

will FBs get close to fortifications if there are archers behind? if not, then this will solve the problem.
if not....they spread dust...
Pages: [1] 2