Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military screen = BLACK SCREEN, as it takes only fractional part of display.  (Read 1404 times)

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vanilla clients.
Set in init.txt
[WINDOWED:YES]
[WINDOWEDX:160]
[WINDOWEDY:80]
Or enlarge DF window with mouse.
After loading embark in DF press M to open military screen.
Stare into suddenly black screen at front of you.
Then notice something tiny white in left upper corner.
Feel "I found it".

Additional Information

Feel "I found it"

-For thousandth time, when assigning master quality item by master quality item on each of 100 Dwarves in your military, because there is no material quality setting for materials in military menu. Every single master quality item has to be assigned individually.
-Not to mention assigned items are not automatically dropped to the bottom of the list of available items, but stay on its top, because of their high quality.
-Not to mention Dwarves already assigned to other squads pop up in list of free recruits to be assigned into new squad.

If only military menu could be resized like caravan trading menu in Depot. All menus actually are resized with resized screen, but the tiny lonesome military menu.

I tried searching for bug report with "military menu", "military screen" or "military display", but I couldn't find any such. Hard to believe. There should be some bug report already about this bug. It is kind of huge bug after all. Visually for sure. However I am told it is not a bug, but feature of sorts from ancient DF times. DF, before 0.42.01, used to be alike in all menus. Very tiny in upper left corner for every single menu in DF. I find it hard to believe, but then I was playing DF only for last 2 years. Also I am told if there is a hope to fix this visual interface bug I better post about it here among milliards of suggestions for new features.

Oh well, but imho it is still a visual interface bug and not some new feature. It does negatively impact Dwarf Fortress. Particularly that players need to access this menu so very often, because of entirely missing usability features in it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Use a larger tileset? Honestly have no idea what you're talking about. How about screenshot? Whatever your problem is,  it's not as obvious as you're making it out to be.

(Bug report comment mentioned using TWBT, but I only use vanilla (with the larger tileset) and have no obvious issues with the military screen).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:30:29 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I said I was assuming TWBT wasn't involved, because it isn't officially available for 0.44.05 yet.

The military screen should take up around 80x25 tiles, so with WINDOWEDX:160 and WINDOWEDY:80, that should be about half of the width of the screen and a little over a quarter of the height. Also, it should be the same font size as other screens, like the announcements screen, so I really don't know why you're describing it as "tiny". If it's hard to read, can you provide screenshots (of this screen and another one, ideally)?

Also, since squads are limited to 10 dwarves, I'm not sure what resizing the screen would accomplish. Everything already fits on the screen, and it has to continue to fit when the screen is 80x25, so rearranging the screen could really only move things farther apart. That might make it possible to fit longer unit/weapon names, but I can't think of much else.

Also, a bunch of screens were changed to resize with the window in 0.34.10, if you were curious (so before 0.42): http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_2012.html#2012-05-19

I think your other suggestions are good and worth implementing, by the way.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, that's what I meant. You suggested using TWBT would solve the problem. But some of us using vanilla still aren't sure what the problem is. I can see everything fine. There's no black screen, fonts are fine, military settings aren't hidden anywhere. Just confused, sorry.

But yeah, other suggestions all good.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, that's what I meant. You suggested using TWBT would solve the problem.
No, I didn't! I was saying that TWBT might be causing the problem, because I don't use it and haven't noticed any issues, and that was the only thing I could think of that could cause a significant difference in how that screen appears.

I can certainly make the screen tiny by resizing to a 255x255 grid (by zooming out), but that makes fonts on every screen tiny and unreadable, even though those screens take up the full window.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, that's what I meant. You suggested using TWBT would solve the problem.
No, I didn't! I was saying that TWBT might be causing the problem, because I don't use it and haven't noticed any issues, and that was the only thing I could think of that could cause a significant difference in how that screen appears.

I can certainly make the screen tiny by resizing to a 255x255 grid (by zooming out), but that makes fonts on every screen tiny and unreadable, even though those screens take up the full window.
Oh I see now. Sorry.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The military screen should take up around 80x25 tiles, so with WINDOWEDX:160 and WINDOWEDY:80, that should be about half of the width of the screen and a little over a quarter of the height.

By your own admission, if military menu would be resized, I would get a column of master quality high boots, which would be 4x higher. So instead of clicking 14 times page down, when assigning every single high boot to every single member of my 10th squad I would click just 3 times. This is so much of harassment that would go away, if this menu would just resize like everyone else.

If you get 75% of a screen a black screen, you still say "not black" screen? Even mobile games played on desktop have their screen resized. My monitor is not using halogen flashlight and when 75% of screen goes black, then 75% screen goes black. Though I played DF barely for last 2 years, so maybe therefore I am still noticing this "insignificant" detail. :P~

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

75% of my screen doesn't go blank though. The only time that happens is in the old civilizations screen, and when the outpost liaison doesn't have much to say.

Are you sure you're not using a tiny tileset on a high resolution monitor? That's the only thing I can think of that would make anything seem tiny.

Also, equipment, I just select 'metal high boots' and dorfs figure it out for themselves from the best available. If you need to micromanage your dorf's boots so much, you should probably use Therapist.

Sure additional micromanagement tools is a fine suggestion of course. Not knocking that.

Not sure what it has to do with your screen issues though. Can you not post a screenshot, or just a photo of your monitor? Whatever is happening to you, isn't happening to some of us.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, equipment, I just select 'metal high boots' and dorfs figure it out for themselves from the best available. If you need to micromanage your dorf's boots so much, you should probably use Therapist.

I don't have kick ass gaming computer, so I need cpu for DF and not for some partially useful utility like The rapist.

Yeah and military Dwarves are geniuses on figuring stuff out. I have hard time missing those 3 named stinking leather shields in list of my artifacts... Next embark only *MASTER_QUALITY*adamantium*MASTER_QUALITY* for all those bloody shields too. No willow wood. No leather. Those two materials should even be banned and disabled even for usage in shields with this entire crazy naming mechanics.

I remember those glory days of A500. I had 15'' monitor too. Old times that was. Today, when you resize screen, then you are doing it for "reasons". For convenience and when interface decides for you "go to hell, we are back in A500 glory days", then something has to be wrong, even if I don't send you pictures. Don't you think something is broken? Visually?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:37:29 am by Sarmatian123 »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile

I think a shield's material doesn't matter for its ability to block.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No. Neither quality, nor material. I cherish that fact. Simple, fast and easy defense for military Dwarves at start of the game. Even if you stick them besides shield only with copper/steel hammers.

However shield's material doesn't block ability to have shield named and put into your artifact list. For some reason. This naming mechanics is killing me... It should be limited to adamantium items imho.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No. Neither quality, nor material. I cherish that fact. Simple, fast and easy defense for military Dwarves at start of the game. Even if you stick them besides shield only with copper/steel hammers.

However shield's material doesn't block ability to have shield named and put into your artifact list. For some reason. This naming mechanics is killing me... It should be limited to adamantium items imho.

Nah. In worldgen, people name regular items. Maybe it should be an init option.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really? Then I hate those people. :D :P :D Whatever limits this naming madness... I am for it. :D

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really? Then I hate those people. :D :P :D Whatever limits this naming madness... I am for it. :D

I like named items, though. This is why it should be an init option. To avoid protests.