Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raid question  (Read 1465 times)

JakeSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Raid question
« on: January 16, 2018, 02:13:14 am »

Will my dwarfs still gain skills from raids? (ergo sneaking and fighting mostly?)
VALLHALLA HUNGERS!!!
-JakeSlayer

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
Re: Raid question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 10:23:48 am »

I don't think so I check the skills of my dwarfs after every raid and no improvement.

JakeSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 07:57:23 pm »

Well that's a bummer, I'm just getting the newest version (44.05) and was really hopeful that it would. Toady should add that next time, maybe add peaceful resolutions too if they get caught, like bribe the guard or convince them that letting them leave would be best for them...OH and player-caravans would be cool too, that way if your REALLY in a pickle (or out if your starving) you could send out a caravan to try and sell your vast collection of masterwork socks for food and drink, and have enemies try and attack your caravans as they go and have that a part of the AI now so bandits can do more and civ will try and cut off enemy supply-routes, or atleast in the basic sense. Like while it may have little actual effect, it's in there and can help with roleplay/making the world seem more alive.
VALLHALLA HUNGERS!!!
-JakeSlayer

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 10:22:44 pm »

Raids and the new map in general is all part of 'things to be improved' during this cycle (provided all the identity bugs are dealt with, I guess) so hopefully it'll make it in. And yeah, no skills yet for raids. That was mentioned when the release first hit.

Would be nice to see some balance in military training happen at the same time. Now that practical training is easier to get, we could probably do with a nerf to the ridiculous 'noob to legendary in 6 months' barracks training we have now.

Would encourage raiding too which is good (the goblins are coming in the next year or so, my dorfs need experience, do I risk total war by sending them to beat up elves for a quick skill boost? What if half of them are eaten by giant grizzly bears?).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 11:04:49 pm »

Be careful with raids, don't send more than one squad in a raid in the current version.
When i do i crash everytime i did when those squads were coming back or something, it's been reported on the bug tracker by other people so it's very likely not a fluke.

Hopefully will get fixed in future versions, but i suggest to make a save before sending anyone for a mission and make a back up of that save, as if you send those squads, chances are that it will crash and you'll lose your fortress then.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 12:15:36 am »

Raids and the new map in general is all part of 'things to be improved' during this cycle (provided all the identity bugs are dealt with, I guess) so hopefully it'll make it in. And yeah, no skills yet for raids. That was mentioned when the release first hit.

What is a cycle? Are you hoping to get improved raids during v0.44.x, or is this not expected until something like v0.45?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 12:27:37 am »

This arc is supposed to get improvements to the raiding system in short order. As in over the next few weeks and months, you'll have a series of releases that add new features or change things. Probably bug fixes followed by small features and additions to the world map we get in fort mode. And yes, we might get a version increment to 0.45 before the myth arc starts. This was stated by Threetoe:

Quote from: ThreeToe
Instead of waiting months and months, Bay 12 will be squashing bugs and improving dwarf mode pillaging and adventurer mode.  Don't forget!  After some months of this the myth generator is next!

Also from the front page on 12/15/2017:

As usual, I'm going to be starting with the worst new issues on the tracker before we get to old bugs and small suggestions/features, but once we get there, we are planning to take advantage of the new world map screen in fortress mode, and to clean up the basic adventure experience, and much more, before the myth/magic development finally begins.

If levelling up during raids is not a suggestion yet, maybe you should post it in there. Or make a bug report about it, I think it falls under that category. This should be picked up during this cycle.

What is a cycle? Are you hoping to get improved raids during v0.44.x, or is this not expected until something like v0.45?

The release cycle means you get a big feature after a long wait (usually six months to over a year of no updates whatsoever), and then get smaller features added. Usually some weeks of quick releases (we're through 5 small versions already) and then on a monthly or so basis (each one followed by rapid release of short term bug fixes and so on). Then they move onto the next big feature and the cycle repeats itself. This cycle is the artefact release, next up is myth and magic.

While some of the material for the myth and magic release is yet to be planned (again, according to the front page), the myth generation system was created and tested over the last year or two as a standalone item. How quickly this gets integrated into the game depends on the code.

Link to example of standalone myth generation from early 2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8zwPdPvN10&feature=youtu.be&t=12m36s

Apparently, the magic in the world will be shaped by this world generation.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:54:36 am by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.