Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Entrance dwarf washer?  (Read 4190 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Entrance dwarf washer?
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:44:53 am »

I'm considering setting up a Dwarf Washer at my fortress entrance, but as I botched my last attempt I'll ask for advice.

I tried a trench with a grate on top and a powered screw pump pumping from the trench onto the grate, but that caused the water to flow sideways as much as it did back down in the trench (down the stairs).
1. If I pump the water out at the level above the entrance to fall onto the grate but fall down to the aquifer (i.e. at least one more level), would the water spill sideways again?
2. Would dorfs have trouble passing through the falling water? I did get cancellation spam on my attempt, but that might be from the water flowing down the stairs.
3. If water flows sideways in 1., would a grate before and after (with a hole beneath, of course) solve that issue?
4. Assuming the above works, should I expect issues with a construction where the entrance is two tiles wide with a pump on each side, to wash both sides?

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Entrance dwarf washer?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 01:10:57 pm »

I just run a 1-wide tunnel from a river under my entry way and out of the map edge (going down to find stone for fortifications if necessary).  Then I channel into that, and I place a horizontal grate at either end, mostly to keep my dwarves from getting sucked down the tube.  The trench runs immediately outside of my first drawbridge and no dwarf can enter my fort without stepping in it. 

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 01:36:52 pm »

Isn't a pool of 2/7 water to wade through enough to decontaminate dwarves?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 01:42:29 pm »

You're both describing a dwarven foot bath. My experience is that contaminants washed off into the water can be picked up from the water by the next dorf passing through. daggaz avoids that by having a flow that washes contaminants downstream.

The reason I wanted a shower was both for more efficient decontamination (i.e. other body parts than the feet only), and also to hopefully bring about the positive effect waterfalls (or, more precisely, mist from them) are supposed to generate.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 01:57:11 pm »

Do the same thing, but make a small cistern upstream, install a few pumps to bring the water level 1 z level above your entryway, and now drop it down onto the same channel system which again leads out of the map (but is not this time connected to the cistern).

Now you have a shower/bath, that self-cleans.  Should be pretty effective.  You can even do dwarf physics and set up a water wheel to power the pumps that create the flow that powers the water wheel..... but there you have to be careful with the whole pressure vs flow thing. 

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 06:37:33 am »

Could an array of mist generators be placed in a narrow hallway so it would hit 100% of passing dwarves? That would clean them up nicely, at the cost of some task cancellation spam.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 07:31:56 am »

Thanks Staalo, that answers my question #2, and I definitely don't like cancellation spam...

It seems that a dwarven foot bath will have to do, while at the same time somehow ensuring the water depth lies in the 2-3/7 interval.
Unless, of course, whatever mechanism is used to keep the water level steady can be used on the dropping water and if lower volumes of dropping water doesn't cause cancellations.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 07:48:24 am »

2/7 or 3/7 foot bath is easy enough to accomplish with a pit/pond zone set to pond, and some bucket hauling micromanagement (so they don't pour in too much).

If 1x1 is too small, you can use floodgates to connect a few 1x1 ponds.

Example
Code: [Select]
WRRRRW   W - wall    R -ramp
W.XX.W    . -floor
WRRRRW    X - floodgate
designate two 1x1 ponds above the floor tiles, have your dwarves fill them to max (6/7, have never seen dwarves fill a pond to 7/7), open floodgates, end up with 1x4 footbath of 3/7 water traversible in north-south directions, unless evaporation mechanics just kick in at the wrong time and evaporate a 1/7 while it's settling.

EDIT: crap, I just realized the ramps mess it up cause they fill with water too. I guess leave out the floodgates, and manually fill it, working against evaporation
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:50:26 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 11:03:09 am »

Filling a pond is easy, but engineering a screw pump driven flow isn't quite that easy if you want the foot bath to be passable at all times.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 11:31:09 am »

Hehe, yeah, you're gonna need pressure plates and drains. A pump turns 1/7 input into 7/7 output, right?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 01:21:13 pm »

No, a pump doesn't generate water, so a closed, properly calibrated system should require only occasional topping up of water lost to evaporation (like a dwarven water rector, if I understand it correctly). I don't know if a pump takes 1/7 water or if it requires 2/7 to pump anything, though.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 07:19:18 pm »

Unless, of course, whatever mechanism is used to keep the water level steady can be used on the dropping water and if lower volumes of dropping water doesn't cause cancellations.

Here's a setup that should work:

The diagonal paths force the water to flow (instead of teleport), reducing 7/7 from the pumps to an average 1-2/7 at the output. The second mirror pump should increase the frequency of the drops (though probably not to 100% coverage).

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 07:23:11 pm »

I'm not understanding that image. Where do the dwarves walk?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 07:52:04 pm »

I'm not understanding that image. Where do the dwarves walk?

There is a two-tile wide hallway on the z-level below (running east-west). The central tiles are channeled to drop water on dwarves in the hallway.

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 02:34:06 am »

My pump operators pump until they starve to death or go insane, is there a way to prevent this?
Pages: [1] 2 3