Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Entrance dwarf washer?

(1/7) > >>

PatrikLundell:
I'm considering setting up a Dwarf Washer at my fortress entrance, but as I botched my last attempt I'll ask for advice.

I tried a trench with a grate on top and a powered screw pump pumping from the trench onto the grate, but that caused the water to flow sideways as much as it did back down in the trench (down the stairs).
1. If I pump the water out at the level above the entrance to fall onto the grate but fall down to the aquifer (i.e. at least one more level), would the water spill sideways again?
2. Would dorfs have trouble passing through the falling water? I did get cancellation spam on my attempt, but that might be from the water flowing down the stairs.
3. If water flows sideways in 1., would a grate before and after (with a hole beneath, of course) solve that issue?
4. Assuming the above works, should I expect issues with a construction where the entrance is two tiles wide with a pump on each side, to wash both sides?

daggaz:
I just run a 1-wide tunnel from a river under my entry way and out of the map edge (going down to find stone for fortifications if necessary).  Then I channel into that, and I place a horizontal grate at either end, mostly to keep my dwarves from getting sucked down the tube.  The trench runs immediately outside of my first drawbridge and no dwarf can enter my fort without stepping in it. 

martinuzz:
Isn't a pool of 2/7 water to wade through enough to decontaminate dwarves?

PatrikLundell:
You're both describing a dwarven foot bath. My experience is that contaminants washed off into the water can be picked up from the water by the next dorf passing through. daggaz avoids that by having a flow that washes contaminants downstream.

The reason I wanted a shower was both for more efficient decontamination (i.e. other body parts than the feet only), and also to hopefully bring about the positive effect waterfalls (or, more precisely, mist from them) are supposed to generate.

daggaz:
Do the same thing, but make a small cistern upstream, install a few pumps to bring the water level 1 z level above your entryway, and now drop it down onto the same channel system which again leads out of the map (but is not this time connected to the cistern).

Now you have a shower/bath, that self-cleans.  Should be pretty effective.  You can even do dwarf physics and set up a water wheel to power the pumps that create the flow that powers the water wheel..... but there you have to be careful with the whole pressure vs flow thing. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version