Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Entrance dwarf washer?  (Read 4253 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Entrance dwarf washer?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2018, 09:53:46 am »

Courier is a fixes space font, which makes it very useful for those kind of things.

Edit: Regarding contamination of the grates: I've observed them being contaminated by blood, only to have that washed away shortly after.

Edit 2: I've seen the strange effect that water that occasionally gets through the diagonals of the washer spontaneously has transmuted the rock into muddy sand. I know of the effect/bug where building on top of mud and removing the mud can randomly transmute the rock underneath, but this is the first time I've seen it happen on its own.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:21:39 am by PatrikLundell »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 10:54:21 am »

Necro AND double post, but I think the Dwarf Washer is handy, and I encountered a solved a problem (I'm using Loci's design).

In my previous embark I pumped from and to the aquifer, and it worked perfectly. On my current embark I'm blessed with a center tile without an aquifer surrounded with tiles that do have it, so I drew water from the aquifer through a sideways channel (with a bridge to cut the flow, or I get the basin overflowing). However, I got too much water (resulting cancellation spam) raining down on my dorfs. After a few attempts I've managed to stem the flow to mostly a single unit of water by reducing the access to the tile each pump draws water from to a single diagonal access. Two diagonals mostly worked, with occasional 4 units of water. Thus, there seems to be a need to both restrict the input AND the output (although input restriction might make output restriction unnecessary: I haven't tried).

PlatinumSun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 01:33:41 pm »

Be wary of these Dwarf Washers. I once read 2 or 3 stories online about a monster with deadly blood contaminating the water and giving all of its Dwarves necrosis. I remember one of them they just killed a tick(Funnily enough) so the dwarves covered in blood walked through a water fall which went into the water supply and it caused an out break of the necrosis. Needless too say that fortress was abandoned and a new one was erected beside it.

But for an entrance washer you should be perfectly fine. But still its best to be careful.
It will probably take you 10 seconds to read this digital text on your monitor. And then ponder its metaphorical meaning.

Slaves To Kek God Of Creation
Chapter II: Meme Magic

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2018, 03:44:44 pm »

The purpose of the washer is to wash it away. If a contaminant goes down into the water it will be purified by the magic of the screw pump before it's showered on the next dorf. A trench foot bath could spread contaminants, though. The well cistern draws its water from a different aquifer location.

Leaving the dorfs to trail the necrosis inducing substance all over the floor inside without any washing is not a good idea either, by the way. I definitely needed a washer for my previous embark, as the syndrome rain caused permanent tuberculosis (i.e. coughing of blood), so I wanted to restrict the number of dorfs affected (I also turned off cleaning, as that was rather pointless).
Pages: 1 2 [3]