Advanced search  

Author Topic: Backups  (Read 959 times)

CivBesch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Backups
« on: January 16, 2018, 12:10:22 pm »

Something unfortunate happened

I make backups every time I played a part of the game of the folder 'Current'.

After trying to break down a wall, I canceled the task by canceling it in the 'jobs' menu ('j'), which strangly called the task 'Destroy Building - Bridge' and not 'wall'.

Cancelling the task made DF crash each time after I reloaded it. When trying to restore a old backup

I kept backups in a subfolder 'BU' I made inside the 'save' folder, where the map 'current' and 'region' are also.

I am using a Mac

anyone any hints

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Backups
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 01:36:33 pm »

You're backing up the wrong folder.
"current" is a working folder DF uses during game play and when saving: first to current and then to the "real" game folder (region1, region2, etc., unless you rename them). If DF crashes during saving, this normally means the regionX folder is either updated or retains the state of the last save.
DF doesn't read the "current" folder when loading a game, so anything in there is junk as far as DF is concerned.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 01:41:00 pm »

Yep, the 'current' folder is just for temporary files. When you save your game and exit, the current folder should be empty. If it's not, you will probably have a corrupted save.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 01:45:09 pm »

In the past is has been fairly common for DF to crash during the "cleaning up files" phase, which I think is when it cleans out the "current" folder. I haven't had any issues with those saves, though.

CivBesch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 01:51:11 pm »

thanks for the info

I'll have to read better next time
So I'll start making BU from the Region folder, I guess

Well if having one's fort destroyed is fun, then crashing is double fun!  :D

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 04:02:53 pm »

Under the init.txt file, there is a backup system you can enable. I HIGHLY recommend it, as I use savescumming frequently when all !!FUN!! breaks loose.

You can read about it here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Technical_tricks#Save_Behavior
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 11:28:10 am »

When you save your game and exit, the current folder should be empty.
I'm not sure what you mean here, but if there are .dat files in the current folder, DF copies them to the region folder when saving. If you mean that the current folder should be empty after saving, that might be the case, but not necessarily before.

In the past is has been fairly common for DF to crash during the "cleaning up files" phase, which I think is when it cleans out the "current" folder. I haven't had any issues with those saves, though.
It also frees up objects in memory, which allows you to load another world without having to restart DF to avoid using obscene amounts of memory. It's more likely that that is crashing, not removing files.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

CivBesch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 12:06:46 pm »

thanks very much for all the remarks and hints.

From now on I am not backing up the current but the 'Region' folder. I tested it and it all works fine

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 01:46:27 pm »

When you save your game and exit, the current folder should be empty.
I'm not sure what you mean here, but if there are .dat files in the current folder, DF copies them to the region folder when saving. If you mean that the current folder should be empty after saving, that might be the case, but not necessarily before.
Well, yeah, I thought that's what I said. I guess I should have used 'after' instead of 'when'. Sry, non-native speaker.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479