2E Playtest+- Things!
- 1 (20%)
1/2E Mortal Remains +- Things!
- 1 (20%)
Just. Stick. With. The. Other. One.
- 2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Players Choice: Feng Shui/Hunter the Vigil  (Read 1500 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Players Choice: Feng Shui/Hunter the Vigil
« on: January 16, 2018, 02:25:28 pm »

I've been meaning to run a couple of games for a while now, and it looks like I actually have the time to squeeze another game into this semester! Theoretically! However, I was unable to decide which game I wanted to run. Interested players make for interesting games, so I decided to involve potential players with the game design! This will act both as an interest check and as a voting thing. Showing interest doesn't obligate you to actually play, so go ahead and argue your case or ask questions!

~Game One: Feng Shui 2 Dead City~

Something has caused a Zombie Outbreak across the city! Starts as a simple game of survival, leads to saving the city, then the world. All with the standard over-the top action of a Feng Shui game! Pull a zombie's spine out with your bear hands! Destroy a mob by throwing saw blades like giant ninja stars! Cause a building to explode with clever use of fireworks and propane tanks! Gun down countless zombies with an endless variety of guns! A lighthearted, cinematic game. If you can do it in a Zombie movie, video game, or whatever else, you can do it here. Set in the modern era, but if someone really wants to play a character from a different Juncture I have excuses ready to let them. If we manage to get through the Dead City ark, then the game can continue with the plot with a completely different theme.

The rules of the game are meant to be simple, and the most important one is "Make it Cool". Its the kind of game were you are allowed to make assumptions rather than asking the GM for questions, and they let it through if it is cool enough and at least somewhat logical. For example, if you are in the streets you could assume that there is a car there. Assuming that it has a machine gun on top is a bit of a stretch, but you could rip its door off to use as a shield against the incoming hoard. You could also pick up a convenient manhole cover to use as a projectile weapon, or use an electric wire from a downed power-line with a convenient puddle to shock the zeds, or shoot an intact car so that its sirens go off attracting the Zombies away from you, without having to ask if any of those things are there. Over-using something would get boring, so use your imagination! Conventional attacks-with fists, guns, melee weapons, or even magic, are also expected to be described climatically. Lovingly detail how you are destroying those monsters!

Character creation is simple. You decide what you want your character to be, then throw that dressing on the closest pre-made template (making reasonable changes to fit your character). If you want to cut through the army of the undead with a chainsaw, you could take a sword-focused template and throw the chainsaw skin over it. More rules will be discussed if we go down this path, but that should be the jest of it.

~Game Two: Hunter the Vigil ? ? ?~

Unlike the above, this game is meant to be a bit darker and more serious. Take on Vampires, Werewolves, Mages, and all kinds of other unpleasant super-naturalness with your completely human cleverness and the occasional big guns. Screw up and die, the targets are usually stronger than you in a straight up fight! Be normal people stumbling in the darkness, trying to do something about it. Or be professionals with a handful of neat powers and short life expectancy. Or even be professionals without the neat powers and an even shorter life expectancy. The point is, you are human, they are not, shoot 'em until they are corpses and you are not. If they are were already corpses to begin with, set them on fire afterwords for good measure.

As for the rules, there are plenty of variations. 1E, Mortal Remains, 2E playtest, Hurt Locker/Armory, Dread Powers VS other Corebooks, etc. If we decide to go this path, we can discuss which ones work best then! In general, it has a system of "successes". Depending on how skilled/strong you are in something, you roll a certain amount of dice. Each dice has a ~1/3 chance of becoming a success, with your final amount of successes deciding how good the outcome is. Rules wise, it is a bit more complicated then Feng Shui, especially if we end up pulling more books into this. Its something I've wanted to run for a while, though I don't have any specific scenarios mapped out yet. You would probably be able to choose from whatever group you wanted as individual players, with some plot-based excuse for why you are working together. Unless you all decide otherwise, in which case we can be from the same group or Tier-1 hunters.

So what will it be, Bay 12?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Players Choice: Feng Shui/Hunter the Vigil
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 03:59:25 pm »

Probably won't go out for this. but PTW.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:34:21 am by Roboson »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 04:13:24 pm »

HtV seems to be pretty popular, so lets get into more detail!

Often, fighting "fair fights" goes badly. There are certainly some exceptions were you can roll in and curb stomp everything, but these are incredibly rare. Hunters tend to resort to more assassin-like approaches. Breaking into the Vampire's house while he is "sleeping" and sticking a stake in his heart. Sniping the werewolf while he is alone using a silver bullet. Putting a bomb in the target's car. Or, occasionally, non-fighty things. Fight off Vampires...politically! Go on a quest to find relics! Start a Monster Support Group and try to keep them from eating people! Perform !Science! until the world starts to make sense!

There are three "Tiers" to hunter. Tier 1 is regular people with no support from any organization or fancy tools. You and your buddies see some local monster, and decide it would be nice if they didn't have to see it anymore. Tier 2 is "Compact" level. Your still normal people, but now you have a bunch of friends to back it up. Usually they are set around a theme, such as NM being a group of scientists trying to study the spooky stuff, or the Bear Lodge who hunts werewolves for sport. Tier 3 is "Conspiracy" level. Here is were you get the special powers! Usually work for some old, shadowy, powerful group. Some variants are the spawn of Demons, the Catholic Priests who can occasionally raise the dead, or working for the US government and getting some big monster-killing guns for your trouble. Just about every book in the Hunter line put out a couple more Compacts and Conspiracies, so there is a ~ton~ to choose from. For this game, you would be able to mix and match. If someone wants to be a normal beat cop in over his head, while another wants to have the arm of the demon we just killed transplanted to himself, that is fine. Unless everyone for some reason decides that it isn't.

Hunter is still being updated to CoD 2E, but has a quick-and dirty update in the form of Mortal Remains. Some 2E playtesting has been released, but for the most part you would be stuck making your own Endowments with a small base to take inspiration from (and we would have to homebrew most of the Conspiracy's special skills.) Of course there is nothing wrong with playing the original 1E, if people don't like the changes. The Armory adds a bunch of neat things (and guns!) to 1E, while Hurt Locker updates the explosives rule (they can do agg now!) and adds some rules for abstracting 2E's combat (not really a fan) and long-term damage. Finally, Hunter makes its own "Dread Powers" rule for making bad-guys. As these are made to be Hunter antagonist, they tend to be weaker then core book enemies (who are designed to be their own game line's protagonist). They also tend to act differently then the "real" CoD thing, so stabbing a vampire through the heart might just kill it instead of forcing it to nap.

Probably won't get in either way. But PTW.

I don't discriminate against my players. If you try to get in, you probably will. Unless I somehow end up with 10+ sheets, which I probably won't. 

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 07:41:44 pm »

Oh right, timeframe.
I'll check to see how many players are interested over the weekend, and finalize the pole assuming there is enough. This thread will then magically transform to the OOC, everyone will throw up their characters, and we will start when everyone is ready.

wertyzerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 05:01:29 am »

PTW

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 02:12:33 pm »

Excluding my placeholder vote, we have 8 interested players judging solely on the bases of the poll! Half that is enough to run either game, so there is certainly enough interest to push foward whatever the final verdict is.

Currently, the two choices are tied! 8 votes with 5 in each means that many players don't seem to have a preference. Discussing your choice here could push the lurkers one way or the other.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 07:30:24 pm »

Still tied. Looks like its going to be a close one. Game still being decided over the weekend.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 08:00:27 pm »

Rule of Cool is very Bay 12. Feng Shui!

Join me as we kill zombies!
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 12:30:09 pm »

Still a tie, almost time to decide.
Maybe I should just combine them into an insane mess?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 04:57:26 pm »

Brilliant!
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 05:39:53 pm »

Brilliant!

Its either that or trying to run both at once.
Not sure which would be worse for my sanity.

Lee's eyes narrowed behind his designer shades. The vampire meets his gaze, trying to intimidate him.
No such luck, Dracula. Lee's hand goes to his holster. His Raging Bull spins into action like a helicopter spins into war.
Bangbangbang. Three shots ring out in the blink of an eye. Three zombie's heads pop like pinatas at Babe Ruth's birthday party.
The vampire laughs. Mocking Lee for taking out his minions instead of the real threat.
That's when Big Mike Koolaid-mans through the wall, half the Neighbor's Christmas Tree in his hands.
It always took those lazy sons-of-guns forever to take down their decorations.
Lee smiled. Without the Zombies, nothing is getting between him and the target.
Big Mike rushes forward screaming like the mad-man he is.
Bloodsucker tried one of his tricks to get away, but he wasn't fast enough. Mike slammed that tree into him so hard he flew ten feet into the wall.
Broken glass and tinsel filled up half the room. One red bulb lands unharmed, rolling to a stop. The camera focuses on it. In its reflection, you can see Big Mike holding a well decorated tree, and a blurry thing sitting in an impact crater.
Holding the tree under his arm pointy-end first, Mike charges the blurry thing.
He jabs the whole tree right into the center.
The camera cuts from the bulb to reality.
Mike has firmly planted the tree into the Vampire's chest cavity.
The vampire's face shows utter defeat and confusion, at least so much as a corpse can show emotion.
Lee walks up to Big Mike. They fist bump while looking at a job well done.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 10:35:20 pm »

Well. Still tied.

So after putting some (very tired) thought into it, I have come to a decision! You know that trick were you flip a coin to choose, and if you are disappointed in one you choose the other one? Well I get that feeling with whichever one I try to drop. I have an idea for FS, its a fun game, and I wanna run it. I have wanted to run Hunter here for the longest time.

Am I crazy? YOU BET AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAH!
Is this a bad idea? Almost certainly.
Is this some kind of punishment for grievous sins? Perhaps.
Am I going to do it anyway? Sure.

I'll throw up Feng Shui's OOC tomorrow. For now, this will be Hunter's OOC, since we still need to discuss which rules to use.
If nobody posts and we don't end up choosing anything, I'll just run FS by itself and everything will work out anyway.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 10:43:53 pm »

On the hunter note, the Savage Worlds-based system for "Monster Hunter International" is being released at some point in the future, probably out of scope of the game.

If you haven't read the books, they are excellent, but it's another system currently being created.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 11:07:38 pm »

On the hunter note, the Savage Worlds-based system for "Monster Hunter International" is being released at some point in the future, probably out of scope of the game.

If you haven't read the books, they are excellent, but it's another system currently being created.

Never read Monster Hunter International, might have to put it on my currently-far-too long list. I've used savage worlds once or twice (usually in unconventional ways), though its supposed to be universal. If you really wanted you could run a Generic Brand Monster Hunter game with it.

I mostly meant the rules in the OP (WW/OP's HtV games). As in: 1E+-Stuff, 2E+-stuff, 1/2E+-stuff.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 03:03:07 am »

I can't help but feel like I'm a little late to this, but you've got one more player interested in boarding the Feng Shui train.
Pages: [1] 2