Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tundra Temperature Question  (Read 488 times)

Sabruka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tundra Temperature Question
« on: January 17, 2018, 10:56:38 am »

Hey everyone!

So recently I've been looking at embarking into a tundra. I know low temperature can cause frostbite, but I'm wondering if this is an effect of exposure. Basically, if I build a completely sealed (save for a door) above-ground room, is that room subject to the same temperature as the surrounding area? Or does it become safe for dwarves to linger there?

Thanks!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tundra Temperature Question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:11:33 am »

Dwarven physics is odd, so anything that has ever been exposed to the sky gets outdoors temperature and outdoors planting conditions, do doors, walls, and roofs do nothing except to keep unwanted critters on the other side. If I understand it correctly, though, it has to be very cold for dorfs to get harmed (but I generally don't embark in biomes subject to freezing.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 12:20:00 pm »

IIRC, when your alcohol starts to freeze, so do the dwarves, which is rather fitting.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 04:07:25 pm »

"In extremely cold regions (below 9964 °U ), dwarves and livestock may succumb to frostbite if they remain outdoors for extended periods of time. Goods left outdoors may experience wear at an accelerated rate. Embark goods should be stored below ground as soon as possible, and trade depots should be built below ground. "

You can increase temperature by running magma through aqueducts in your aboveground fortress. That would be the only way to "thaw" anything. I have embarked and played on tundra that never thaw with little cold issues. This is all remedied by going underground.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.