Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

How do you handle Clothing?

(1/7) > >>

Encrtia:
I decided to automate my clothing industry.

Once a year, I get my leather-worker to produce 50 shirts/shoes/trousers/cloaks/gloves, being the same amount as my population.
At the same time, I have a DFHack Command that use "cleanowned scattered x" every month.

The problem is, every time I come to un-dump the clothing to sell, they've dumped clothing without x's either side of it. In addition, they all just clutter my lovely Catacombs & bedrooms with this non-sensical display of Black Friday Clothing grabbing. I opted to remove their cabinets because I swear, those clothing never get touched by the cleanowned command.

Since everyone has -1M Stress, I'm probably going to make this a nudest colony now, because quite frankly, I don't need to put up with this. That, or if possible, disable this "ownership" system if at all possible.

So I was wondering, how you guy deal with this problem? I only have a population of 50 (futile attempt to stop the Never-Forgotten Beast FPS from destroying the fort), so can only fathom at what a 140 Pop. Mountainhome or larger would be like.

martinuzz:
Mostly nudist until armour. I make 10 cloaks and socks once every year (on a population of 40), just to boost the focus levels of some dwarves from acquiring an item, but as long as needs and stress are not implemented, it's not nescessary at all to keep them clothed.
I fear the day that needs and stress will actually do something, not because I think I can't keep my dwarves reasonably happy, but because of the clothing clutterf***

But yeah, armour. Once they are wearing a headpiece, body item, leg item and foot item, they're happy. Doesn't need to be clothing, metal armour counts too, and doesn't wear (or if it does, a million times slower). You can armour up every dwarf, except woodcutters, hunters and miners.

Encrtia:
I did not know the downside of less clothing wasn't that bad... good to know ;D thanks for the armour tip too

smithist:
Doesn't adding the scattered command specify clothing that's just that? I'm pretty sure a simple cleanowned x will catch everything, including clothes on their backs.

Are you dead set on selling it? You could always follow up your clean owned command with an autodump destroy.

If that feels too cheaty then have them dispose of the dumped items in some magma or an atom smasher.

[e] To answer your question I pretty much do what you described. Every year or so I'll make enough new stuff for at least ~90% of the pop and throw in some periodic cleanowned/autodumps.

Encrtia:

--- Quote from: smithist on January 17, 2018, 02:44:38 pm ---Doesn't adding the scattered command specify clothing that's just that? I'm pretty sure a simple cleanowned x will catch everything, including clothes on their backs.

Are you dead set on selling it? You could always follow up your clean owned command with an autodump destroy.

If that feels too cheaty then have them dispose of the dumped items in some magma or an atom smasher.

[e] To answer your question I pretty much do what you described. Every year or so I'll make enough new stuff for at least ~90% of the pop and throw in some periodic cleanowned/autodumps.

--- End quote ---

Nothing's too cheaty in the fight against FPS.

I would atom-smash, but it feels bad every time I get dozens of "Lost a Masterwork!" But I guess at this point, pff. How do you automate dumping into magma?

And "oh I see"... scattered... mm... I never actually researched that command on DFHack Doc;

--- Quote from: DFHack Doc ---Cleanowned

Confiscates items owned by dwarfs. By default, owned food on the floor and rotten items are confistacted and dumped.

Options:
all:   confiscate all owned items
scattered:   confiscated and dump all items scattered on the floor

--- End quote ---

Thanks for making me aware of my ignorance. Though, don't you get random items in mix that don't possess x(item)x around them? I keep getting pristine Masterwork clothing in my dump. If I get that sorted, I'll be able to fully automate it with a "dump into lava" conga line. That'd be perfect!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version