Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress is now available in Debian non-free  (Read 2236 times)

kritzefitz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress is now available in Debian non-free
« on: January 17, 2018, 02:24:48 pm »

Greetings everyone!

I would like to announce that Dwarf Fortress is now available in The Debian non-free archive. That means if you're running Debian testing or unstable and have non-free packages enabled you can install the dwarf-fortress package using apt, aptitude or whatever package manager you're using. Backports to older Debian releases may be provided upon request.

Once you have the package installed you can run Dwarf Fortress either via the corresponding desktop menu entry or one the command line through the “dwarf-fortress” command. Additional tilesets, raws and configuration files can be installed by dropping them into “<Your home directory here>/.local/share/dwarf-fortress/”. This works just like installing them into the downloaded regular Dwarf Fortress directory with the difference that, on Debian, the vanilla Dwarf Fortress files do not reside in the same directory as your “add on” data

If you have questions or feedback regarding the package you can ask me either here or via email under kritzefitz@debian.org. If you find bugs in the package you are invited to report them in the Debian bug tracker, preferably via the reportbug utility that comes with Debian.

saberbom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress is now available in Debian non-free
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 08:18:05 am »

Doesn't DF run only on X86 processor?
And why is it non-free?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 08:25:47 am »

And why is it non-free?
Well, Dwarf Fortress is under a proprietary license (after all, we don't get access to its source code), even if it's financially free to download and play.
It's the whole "free as in free beer" versus "free as in freedom" thing that's huge with Linux distributions, Debian especially.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 12:32:14 pm »

And why is it non-free?
Well, Dwarf Fortress is under a proprietary license (after all, we don't get access to its source code), even if it's financially free to download and play.
It's the whole "free as in free beer" versus "free as in freedom" thing that's huge with Linux distributions, Debian especially.

kritzefitz, you might want to clarify which sense of free is being used in the OP. I assumed you meant financially.

kritzefitz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 01:28:13 pm »

And why is it non-free?

kritzefitz, you might want to clarify which sense of free is being used in the OP. I assumed you meant financially.

Mesa was quite right with her explanation. Debian does require software to be free as in freedom to be part of Debian main. If you're interested in the reasons for this, you might want to read this explanation. For technical reasons it is also quite hard to distribute software that is not financially free, and I know of no paid software that is part of Debian, but this is only a secondary requirement for software to be part of Debian.

Doesn't DF run only on X86 processor?

Correct. Even though Debian is available on more architectures than that, you will only be able to install the package on amd64 and i386 machines.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:40:43 pm by kritzefitz »