Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Acquire Exotic Flora/Fauna

(1/2) > >>

Encrtia:
I hope I'm not alone, but I love collecting & breeding species. It's a real shame when I can only get (99% of the time) maximum coverage of 2 biomes with their unique fauna/flora at a time (including the cavern layers), never mind the current impossibility to fully domesticate them.

With that in mind, I was hoping there'd be a way to acquire foreign fauna/flora beyond the biome you Embark on, & the Civlization's biomes contributing to what they have to trade with. The best way I see this being implemented, without getting too finicky, would be as follows:

a) Order from Caravan to procure a certain (if possible, liable to fail?) wild fauna or flora. The higher the pet value, the more ludicrous the cost. (& the costs should be ludicrous as this is a Mercenary job with the possibility of high danger) - I don't won't to over-complicate, but you could increase the price to provide better gear/training to increase the chance of a successful hunt.
b) With raids in place, raiding Any neutral tile for i) local fauna, ii) local flora. This could be entirely probability based dependent on the biome, or allow for a more direct effort for a specific species.

Again, I really hope this isn't just me interested in this. I remember watching the first ever Dwarf Fortress tutorial where the chap penned his starting animals as he expressed his joy of managing them in the game. Ever since then, I've felt passionately about them too. It's just a shame I can't full domesticate any of these lovely species for the Civilization still :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PatrikLundell:
You can get up to 9 biomes at your embark (assuming it's at least 9 tiles, although you might still get spill overs on smaller ones). The keys to getting the full set are:
- PSV worlds that ensures you get the correct regions in the correct places.
- RNG luck using vanilla, where I think Fleeting Frames has managed to get up to 7, while I've gotten 6 occasionally, or using DFHacking to ensure the embark region (and the embark) gets all available biomes, using e.g. the Region Manipulator http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164136.msg7454345#msg7454345.
- In addition to the above, you can also hack the biomes to contain the full range of animals/plants to give you a chance to get them e.g. using the Biome Manipulator http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164658.0.

I've used all three methods to get a fortress with all possible kinds of booze, where I still had to rely on the human caravan for some seeds, I think, and definitely on the elven caravan to get bananas (and those blasted bananas rarely, if ever, shows up for me).

When it comes to the actual suggestion, ordering things via caravans will probably be introduced when the economy is recreated/overhaul (which is quite a few arc away).
There is also the possibility of starting scenarios, if a scientific/exploration outpost becomes an option.

Encrtia:
Unfortunately, a 2x2 embark to maintain reasonable End-Game FPS levels prevents the ability to access more than 4 biomes, & even when attempting to, takes volumes of effort & luck to find said locations. This is a proposed addition that provides full diversity for well-established colonies without heavy meta-gaming.

Does this region/biome manipulator cause issues when transitioning to & fro Adventurer/Fortress Mode?

--- Quote from: PatrikLundell on January 18, 2018, 08:07:59 am ---When it comes to the actual suggestion, ordering things via caravans will probably be introduced when the economy is recreated/overhaul (which is quite a few arc away).
There is also the possibility of starting scenarios, if a scientific/exploration outpost becomes an option.

--- End quote ---

Glad to hear. This suggestion here still stands in the hope that when things are improved in this sector, foreign animals/fauna are to considered.

Edit:

--- Quote from: PatrikLundell on May 15, 2017, 08:31:23 am ---Note: all of these manipulations, except the brook/river one, are temporary. They are lost when another region is brought into focus, and they are likewise lost when embarking again in the same region as a previous fortress. However, the manipulations in effect when a fortress is created get "frozen" onto the fortress. This presumably can cause issues for adventure mode.
--- End quote ---

Well that's unfortunate, can't use that then :-\

martinuzz:
It'd be nice to be able to send hunters out on the world map to hunt for rare creatures.

Encrtia:

--- Quote from: martinuzz on January 18, 2018, 09:25:39 am ---It'd be nice to be able to send hunters out on the world map to hunt for rare creatures.

--- End quote ---

Exactly! If that's all I had to work with, I'd be more than content :D It even removes that RNG element of "well, what creature will spawn on my land today. I came here for giant elephants, but zero have come :'( in 42 years"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version