Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nixie Glow Tileset [16x16][32x32]  (Read 6833 times)

SiegeLord

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Nixie Glow Tileset [16x16][32x32]
« on: January 17, 2018, 10:48:46 pm »

Nixie Glow

I'm a fan of using the non-graphical tilesets, so as the new release happened I was on a lookout for a new tileset to try. I really liked the look of the screenshot of Cheepicus's 16x16 tileset with, what I can only assume, JPEG compression artifacts that gave a subtle glow to all the glyphs. The actual tileset wasn't like that, so I opted to create my own. This tileset is (obviously) inspired by Cheepicus's 16x16 tileset, but also Google's Nixie One font, but otherwise made completely from scratch in a vector graphics program. As a result, I got a 32x32 version for free as well.

I am still tweaking it as I get more experience with it in game, comments and suggestions welcome! A few current issues are that all the curves are noticeably darker than straight lines, readability is a tiny bit low, not sure I'm a fan of the dug out rock glyphs.

Screenshots:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tilesets:

v1.2 16x16 variant
v1.2 32x32 variant

!!Note!! For best results, switch minecraft tracks to the single width borders (you'll get nice railroad ties this way). Here's the d_init.txt modification for that:

Old versions:
Also, set the pillar tile to 255.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 12:01:42 am by SiegeLord »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nixie Glow Tileset [16x16][32x32]
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:05:05 pm »

The glow and curve of the walls remind me of neon signs.

I am still tweaking it as I get more experience with it in game, comments and suggestions welcome! A few current issues are that all the curves are noticeably darker than straight lines, readability is a tiny bit low, not sure I'm a fan of the dug out rock glyphs

I think the curves look fine. If you're cool with TWBT, a narrow version of your font could help with readability. Square tilesets are kind of hard to read, but TWBT lets you mix square graphical tiles with narrow text tiles.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 11:29:31 pm »

I get the same neon vibe jecowa mentioned.

176, 177, 178 are the tiles that don't work for me - mainly because of the sky/open space, but also the falling leaves and vermin swarms.
You can remap the sky tile in the d_init.txt, but that doesn't solve the vermin and leaves and misc that comes with changing those tiles.

Great work regardless!

Also . . .

<snip>
!!Note!! For best results, switch minecraft tracks . . .
</snip>

;]

@jecowa

DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 12:29:49 am »

@jecowa

Thin text is great stuff. I wish vanilla supported 2 tilesheets for this.   S q u a r e   f o n t s   a r e   k i n d   o f   a   p a i n   t o   r e a d   w i t h   a l l   t h e   t e x t   b e i n g   s p r e a d   s o   f a r   a p a r t .   I t ' s   p r o b a b l y   b e c a u s e   i t   r e q u i r e s   m o r e   e y e   m o v e m e n t   t o   r e a d   i t .

SiegeLord

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 12:37:44 am »

Thanks for the feedback.

176, 177, 178 are the tiles that don't work for me - mainly because of the sky/open space, but also the falling leaves and vermin swarms.

Yes, that was definitely a problem. I replaced those tiles in the newest version, now they're roundy and make a nice rotaty animation for the falling leaves/smoke/digging. The wagons look a little odd, but they always looked odd even with the default tileset.

I also fixed the Ü tile, it was broken.

raeborga

• Bay Watcher
  • [STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 04:50:52 pm »

I like things of this nature. :)

zava

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 09:51:07 pm »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

SiegeLord

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 12:06:02 am »

I updated the tileset after playing with this a bit.

• Fixed the (lack) of similarity between % and + so it looks better when the pumps are operating
  • Made /, -, \ and such double lined, to match the double lines of my single walls... this was done so that bolts would look the same in any orientation. It looks a little weird in text, but I really want to use the single walls for tracks. I wish DF would use - and | for the bolts and not the single wall tiles...
  • A few other minor tweaks