Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [resolved]  (Read 1087 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
[resolved]
« on: January 18, 2018, 05:12:29 pm »

UPDATE:
Adamantine can hide in areas that DFhack's Reveal --thus Prospect-- can not find it. It still exists, but is hard to properly find.

=========================================================================
My map has no adamantine on it at all!?

Is this a fluke? Or does DFhack prospect not pick it up? I searched using reveal, and I could not find a gateway to hell either. My map has no adamantine. There are several black spots on the map that are maybe 22x11 tiles wide.

I embarked on a 5x5 tile map. Having no adamantine is not a huge issue for me, but just odd.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:06:39 pm by They Got Leader »
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Wait what? SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 05:21:59 pm »

NOTE:
There is adamantine. It is hidden by Prospector not finding it. Crisis is averted!
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
Re: Wait what? SPOILERS [self-resolved, but noteworthy]
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 07:11:22 pm »

What did you have to do? My guess was gonna be that you'd need a "reveal hell" for prospect to catch it. It's been a while since I've tried though.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:23:35 pm »

I will walk you through the steps I went through, using DFHack:

Prospect: no adamantine (lots of everything else because I like minerals and metals)
Reveal: swept the magma sea for anything. I saw nothing. Noted black patches of unrevealed areas (this happens from time to time).
Prospect again: no changes.
Savescum-----
Started exploratory mining into the unrevealed patches.
Struck adamantine immediately after entering the black patch.
Prospect: no changes except what I had just uncovered.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:30:57 pm »

The DFHack "reveal" command explicitly avoids revealing Adamaintine, because if it does, it will cause HFS to spawn even if they are still trapped (and will then potentially cause a lot of lag). If you type "reveal hell", then it will reveal the entire map but will prevent you from unpausing (and thus triggering the event), and if you type "reveal demon", then you've acknowledged that you know what you're doing and take full responsibility for your actions.

Additionally, the "prospect" command only counts revealed tiles - if you want it to count everything, then you need to type "prospect all".

I'm pretty sure this is all in the documentation, by the way.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:36:04 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 12:23:23 am »

It didn't used to do this, so that would explain my confusion. I always was very careful about pausing when using reveal because of this. I haven't read the documentation... in a long time.

EDIT: Then again, I haven't played in maybe a year?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 03:49:32 am »

Note that it is possible for embarks to fail to get any candy spires even when there should be some if your world was generated with less than 3 cavern layers. There's a logic bug in DF which causes spires that breach a cavern layer that doesn't exist to fail to be generated at all. The fix is to change all spires that should reach the 3:rd cavern to reach the 2:nd in a two cavern world, and the 1:st in a single cavern world (and those reaching the 3:rd or 2:nd cavern to reach the 1:st in a single cavern one). I assume it would also work to push spires down to not reach any cavern when reaching non generated ones, but I haven't tried that.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 06:13:24 am »

Oh, didn't know that. I guess I am lucky then that my 1 cave world gave me a fort with an adamantine spire. Double lucky, for it is on a 2x2 embark, which has a chance of not getting one even with 3 caverns.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 06:39:54 am »

if i do "prospect all" it shows
let

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 07:19:32 am »

A 2*2 embark always gets exactly one spire if you align it on even mid level tile boundaries in both the X and Y dimension (starting with 0), although the bug can cause it not to be produced (the data structure is still there...).

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 03:11:49 pm »

A 2*2 embark always gets exactly one spire if you align it on even mid level tile boundaries in both the X and Y dimension (starting with 0), although the bug can cause it not to be produced (the data structure is still there...).

That is why I was confused. I had forgotten about the prospect all command.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 02:46:47 pm »

It didn't used to do this, so that would explain my confusion. I always was very careful about pausing when using reveal because of this. I haven't read the documentation... in a long time.

I'm not sure what "this" is referring to, but reveal's pausing behavior has been like that for over 6 years.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 06:53:56 pm »

I'm not sure what "this" is referring to, but reveal's pausing behavior has been like that for over 6 years.

Due to my really bad memory, its actually been closer to 7 years since I seriously played DF.

Either way, question answer. Thread resolved.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:09:22 pm by They Got Leader »