Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Work Related  (Read 1329 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Work Related
« on: January 18, 2018, 10:00:30 pm »

So, I work nightshift over the weekend and do university stuff over the week.

It tends to leave me drained, but I'm typically mostly recovered by Monday. Still hateful, though.

Anyway, there's a position open for a day shift job. The hourly rate is less, and there are fewer hours. From 15 paid hours to 12 and a half.

I'm rather torn between "yay! money!" and "well, night shift makes me rather grumpy with everyone when I wake up in the morning (evening)." Any advice?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Work Related
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 10:42:53 pm »

Well, with more and more studies concluding that night time work is really, really unhealthy for a human being, I'd say, go for a little less money and daytime work hours.
That is, if you can afford it. Stress from not having enough money is quite likely even more unhealthy than 15 hours of night shift.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 07:35:10 am »

I've saved about 12000 quid, so I suppose I can afford it. Though, Masters are fairly expensive.

Also, it's 18 hours - I just get 1.5 hours break per night.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 08:50:45 am »

You're the best judge, but I tend to agree that it's better to work shorter, not-night hours.
How large is the pay differential, per day? And how critical(eg: difference between being able to do X and not being able to)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 04:49:25 pm »

Advice from a past night shifter - move to the day shift. You'll do way better at uni and feel generally better. More than that, you'll probably do way better at your job which might lead to more stuff later down the line if you want it.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 05:06:33 pm »

The position I was interested in was taken down, alas; since then, however, I have applied for another on day shift; I start in a week. If I really need the money, I can make it up with overtime.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread