Dwarf Fortress > DF Community Games & Stories

The boatmurdered saves

(1/1)

Imic:
I was having a look around, reading the Boatmurdered LP, when I found a link to the first thread. So, I went over to TheimmortalRyukan, who happens to be a member, and asked him to try and find the link, and, Whaddya know! The only issue is that the link is dead. I would like to appeal to all those watching, could someone, anyone, find a way to revive the link? I don't even know if that's possible, but I think we should try.

If this could work, the DF board will be host to a contest. Whoever can take a save of Boatmurdered and lead it to glory will be crowned the unofficial King of Dorfs. Your fortress may need you, but it also needs a voodoo practitioner.

MottledPetrel:
How far back would we revert the save to, the initial founding of Boatmurdered? A few years in? When stuff started getting really terrible? I'd potentially be interested in this idea if someone finds the save, but I can't say I'd be able to revive the link.

CaptainArchmage:

--- Quote from: Imic on January 19, 2018, 04:00:04 am ---I was having a look around, reading the Boatmurdered LP, when I found a link to the first thread. So, I went over to TheimmortalRyukan, who happens to be a member, and asked him to try and find the link, and, Whaddya know! The only issue is that the link is dead. I would like to appeal to all those watching, could someone, anyone, find a way to revive the link? I don't even know if that's possible, but I think we should try.

If this could work, the DF board will be host to a contest. Whoever can take a save of Boatmurdered and lead it to glory will be crowned the unofficial King of Dorfs. Your fortress may need you, but it also needs a voodoo practitioner.

--- End quote ---

I ran a thread a few years ago (back in 2012 I believe) and I didn't get anywhere, but I believe the following conditions need to be fulfilled:
1) You need to find someone who played the game or downloaded it (it was on Something Awful).
2) They need to have done their duty and kept a copy of it on their hard drive from about 10 years or more ago.
Edit: Actually you did get there, it's at http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113047.0

I believe The Master or TheMaster may have a copy of the save, because he posted some screenshot of the fortress garbage stockpile with dead dwarves in it in a thread from a few years ago. A screenshot, for that matter, which did not show up in the Let's Play I believe (but was alluded to a while ago). He's been online within the last two months, but made no posts since 2016 I believe. This may pose problems.

Note while TheMaster was never on the Boatmurdered game, people may have multiple online names. Also, people may have opened up the fortress to take a look at it.

Based on the thread I'd made which you necro'd (twice, thanks for digging that one back up!), KeyboardFox (I believe who dug out the shithall held up by matchsticks and nuked the chasm) was going to get back to you. Maybe email him again?

--- Quote from: MottledPetrel on January 19, 2018, 05:16:16 pm ---How far back would we revert the save to, the initial founding of Boatmurdered? A few years in? When stuff started getting really terrible? I'd potentially be interested in this idea if someone finds the save, but I can't say I'd be able to revive the link.

--- End quote ---

For reasons of chronicling the fortress that seems to have literally put Dwarf Fortress on the map, you'd want to get as many saves as possible and archive them.

You can revert the save back to any year stop you can find. Ideally you'd revert to the save at the end of Doctor Zero's turn because that's before the fortress completely went to hell. Alternatively, revert to the beginning or end of Cross Quantum's term. Given what I have seen you'll likely get back to the end of KeyboardFox's turn, which is early on and just before StarkRavingMad's first (and only complete) turn.

The other issue with reverting to the last saves is the dig to adamantine. Once you dig out adamantine in that version you actually lose the game after a while (and the fortress becomes completely unsalvageable). You'd get the king in that save. Not great.

Ideally you would use a version of the game that had deadly steam in it. The last version, 23a, had this fixed.

Also the loss of so many computer systems indicates to me - back up your saves and files. It's OK to delete if you have duplicates but otherwise you could really risk losing something important.

Something relevant to this, I was actually going to start a Dwarf Fortress-themed Let's Play of Stellaris. However, this is not the board for that. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=21.0 is the one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version