Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

Closing Caverns

<< < (2/6) > >>

PatrikLundell:
Creatures (and plants) are generated for regions, and only a random set of those legal to the biome(s) in the region are actually present, for a start, with numbers for the populations (except vermin and plants, which are innumerable. In addition to that an embark gets generated with a list of creatures (and plants, again) drawn from a 7 * 7 world tile area centered on the embark's world tile each entry in this list also has numbers associated to it. This list is what the DFHack command region-pops uses.
What you actually get in your embark depends on what's available in the regions present in your embark, which is a subset of the 7 * 7 list. I don't know if DF allows migration from one region to another when both regions support the species and have it selected as available (if both of these conditions aren't met migration should not occur).
Each cavern level has its own set of regions, and those region boundaries have the same shape as the surface ones on the in game tile level (the 2 * 2 meter tiles), but the world tile association of regions aren't the same for the surface and each cavern: they're all different.
You can drive species to local extinction, which seems to be a particular problem for glaciers and yetis, as glaciers have rather few species, so all critters arriving are drawn from a rather small pool of species with limited numbers.

I don't know if species go extinct during world gen: they're most probably not allocated to the region in the first place.

End of rambling...

smithist:
That was an excellent post thank you!

I had never noticed the region pop command. It looks like I can verify what the situation is and even boost their numbers if need be. That is fantastic news.

smithist:

--- Quote from: PatrikLundell on January 20, 2018, 05:07:08 am ---End of rambling...

--- End quote ---

So region-pops confirmed a complete lack of Jabberers which seems to prevent me from adding to their numbers. Both the "incr" and "boost" functions return "unknown population token" which was my fear.

I'm looking into a way to force them into existence in the world raws. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is there any way to establish a population at this point?

PatrikLundell:
Within the existing world and embark? Difficult at best, I'd say.

If I were to try to do it, I would:
- Add them to the appropriate cavern biomes. That's reasonably easy to do using the Biome Manipulator. That's definitely not sufficient, though, and it might not even be required.
- Hack the data structure where the 7 * 7 world tile plant/creature data is stored to REPLACE a creature present with the desired one for the locations corresponding to the world tiles+caverns under manipulation.

I haven't done any hacking for animals. For plants I've managed to add grasses (which, oddly enough, seem to be placed in their own little data structure, with no corresponding structures for other plants found), but haven't been able to add any plants, while replacement has worked. I only tried hacking the surface, though. This was done a fair while ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy (which might not require that much time...).

Sarmatian123:
I think introducing your own species into biomes, like alpacas, would solve this issue. However, how do you make domesticate alpacas to roam surface area in a semi-wild fashion? If you put pasture, then animals will go out from it (vultures? bird of prey?, you need to roof it too it seems, so say good bye to trees) and force Dwarves to perform useless "pasture animal" job. Maybe, if you wall every big pasture leaving a single door in it (+ roof maybe?). However with every 1000 quartz blocks you put in, the fps will go further and further down. More animals will cause same effect. Overgrazing will come slowly into play and there is no location for pastures, so you could redefine some auto-butcher jobs on pastures. Anyhow wild life will chew still on your fps and you can always start your own alpacas farming to get more tanned skins. I found that when you put wall 6 tiles away from edge of the map, all around your embark, suddenly for some unknown reason your fps drops drastically. Animal pathing issues?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version