Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Oab's Workshop Steam Version  (Read 46083 times)

Oab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oab's Workshop Steam Version
« on: January 19, 2018, 04:34:04 pm »

Overview:

Full replacement:
Dwarf related sprite sheets

Includes thousands of unique dwarf facial/hair/beard combinations, as well as new sprite sheets for dwarf corpses, undead variants, all dwarf related weapons, armor and clothing.

The style is made using the official crayon art for the game as reference, and is a collection of work I did from 2018-2019 assembled for the Steam version. I am considering this a WIP as there is more variation and improvements that can be done. I just wanted to get something out for everyone to enjoy in the meantime.

Mod Links:
Dwarves: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2915127770
Animal People: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2928438714

Compatibility:

Currently only works on the Steam version of the game.

This will replace all vanilla dwarf image files located in data/vanilla/vanilla_creature_graphics/graphics/images. All mods that replace these will be incompatible.

Installation:

For Existing Saves: (Recommended)
  • Subscribe on steam
  • Load up the game, the files will now appear in Dwarf Fortress>Mods
  • Locate the mod folder in Dwarf Fortress>Mods the folder name is the same as the numbers at the end of the URL on this page.
  • Copy the image files provided in the Dwarf Fortress>Mods folder into the Dwarf Fortress/data/vanilla/vanilla_creature_graphics/graphics/images. Replace existing files when prompted. (Backup the files being replaced, Seeing how small the game is I suggest copying the entire DF folder to a new location and using that, Updates may replace my graphics using this method so use this method again if it does)

Official install instructions:
  • Subscribe on steam
  • Load up the game, the files will now appear in Dwarf Fortress>Mods
  • During new world creation select the “Mods” button on the bottom right select this mod on the list and move it to the list on the right using the right arrow.
  • I haven’t tested this approach to confirm it works. If it does not use the instructions above.
  • This will not work on existing saved games.

Known Issues:

There is a chance of visual distortions due to how the game layers apparel. Due to the amount of combinations this is impossible for me to test everything, but I think I fixed the issues. If you discover anything please feel free to let me know in the comments.

Official install instructions may not work.

Coming Soon

Improvements:

• New and improved dwarf sprites with better palettes. The majority of these sprites are three years old and are not up to my current standards.

If/when I figure out how:

• Female specific sprites.
  • Accurate hair colors per in game description. There are over 30 different colors while the sprite sheets have been condensed down to just 6.
  • Accurate skin tones.The skin tones include over 15 colors, but the sprite sheets include just 4 from light to dark. I may add them all as an alternate option.
  • More Noses. Right now, only male dwarfs have unique noses due to how I alter them alongside the beards. Accurate noses per in game description.

Other partially completed sprite sheets I plan on updating/finishing for compatibility as soon as possible:
  • Interface graphics
  • Animals (All biomes)
  • Giant Animals (Unique sprites)
  • Creatures
  • Mega beasts
  • Anthropomorphic types (Animal people) Completed
    Spoiler: Animal People (click to show/hide)
  • Elves
  • Goblins
  • Humans
  • Kobolds
  • Items/Furniture
  • Floors/Walls/Ramps
  • Rivers/Brooks
  • Statues (Unique Sprites)
  • Trees and plants

Long term:
  • Fully convert all the art to this style
  • Apparel and wieldable layers for anything that can wear them.

Terms:

No permission is granted to republish this or modify any of the contents in any way without the written consent of the Author: Oab.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 08:20:27 pm by Oab »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oab's 32x32 Dwarf Tile set
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 09:56:33 pm »

These are great! I like the variety of characters and the larger heads that show facial expressions better.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:41:37 pm »

Adorable!

Oab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:54:38 pm »

Thanks!

Here is some creature replacement's I am working on.

I am looking for feedback. I am not sure if I am on the right track with some of these. There wasn't much I could use for references other than a few crayon drawings I found and the wiki descriptions.

Spoiler: Underground creatures (click to show/hide)

From left to right:

Row 1: Floating guts, Drunian, Creeping eye, Voracious cave crawler, Blind cave ogre, cap hopper

Row 2: Magma Crab, Crundle, Hungry Head, Flesh Ball, Elk Bird, Helmet Snake

Row 3: Green Devourer, Rutherer, Creepy Crawler, Draltha, Giant Earthworm, Blood man

Row 4: Bugbat, Manera, Molemarian, Jabberer, Pond Grabber, Blind cave bear

Row 5: Cave Dragon, Reacher, Gabbro Elemental, Gorlak, Cave Floater, Plump helmet man

Row 6: Cave Blob, Amethyst elemental, a few plump helmet men for different professions.

I am planning on doing all the common sprites first, but I am open to requests.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 11:14:57 pm »

These looks great! I'm guessing domestic animals are next? And then possibly trainable animals?

Just in case, I made a list of the tags of every creature that is trainable for war or hunting. There are 35 creatures in the list, or 22 if you don't count the giant variations.
Spoiler: trainable animals (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 08:12:22 am »

Fantastic, I didn't expect you to do the creatures too!

The style is certainly unique, it's something completely new.

I did go through the raws to check the body-types and colors. There are lots of tiny things that don't quite fit, but I don't think many people would notice. ^^

- Floating guts are less a ball, as a heart surrounded by floating guts.
- Drunian has brown skin, grey hair and purple eyes.
- Creeping eye has a red eye.
- Cave crawler has midnight-blue skin.
- Cap hoppers have pale-blue skin.
- Magma crab has black chitin.
- Crundle has a tail. And crimson scales.
- Hungry head has black hair on its black skin.
- Helmet snake has white scales.
- Greendevourer has no eye.
- Rutherer has grey hair on it's blue skin, and green eyes.
- Drahlta has brown eyes and a golden mane, and ecru colored skin.
- Giant earthworm is grey.
- Bugbats have a tail and "large mandibles". Dark-violet hair on taupe skin and black eyes.
- Molemarians are not mole-centaurs, but naked-mole-rat-centaurs. Aka they have no black hair, they are all just pink skin.
- I would assume that the jabberers beak is not the color if it's white skin or purple feathres.
- Pond grabber has blue skin.
- Cave dragons, contrary to surface dragons, do have wings. " Its wings fall limp at its side." they have green eyes.
- Reachers have "long arms".
- Ingame, Gorlaks have red eyes and goldenrod-colored skin (even though the crayon drawing shows them with green...)
- Cave floaters have 2 eyes stalks with 1 eye each. Their skin is clear, and the gas/extract in them is white.
- Plump helmet men are purple.
- Cave blobs have orange skin.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Oab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 11:55:12 am »

@ Jecowa: Thanks, that is helpful. I will work on them next. I am more motivated when I get input like this and/or requests. So thanks!

@ Meph: Great information! Thanks for going out of your way. I will make those changes.

If there is enough interest I will continue to create and upload sprites. I originally only intended to do the dwarves, but it turns out I am really enjoying the process.

At my current pace I can do an entire sheet in a few days. I imagine this time frame will shrink as I create more base forms.
-

Question:

Should I bother making child or animated versions of this stuff or would you rather me work on other sprites first? As of right now I was thinking to just re use the original models for children and just add white eyes for the animated versions.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 01:43:41 pm »

The most seen creatures areDwarves, Goblins, Humans, Elves and Kobolds, as well as domestic animals, mounts and war-beasts. The rest is fairly rare, especially ocean animals, zombies, children, etc.

Btw, in the ones you made so far, the creepy crawler and cap hopper are vermin. They don't use sprites, but instead rely on their tile number. Since TWBT overrides don't work on creatures, they do require a tile in the main tileset to be used.

I think that children-sprites of domestic pets are useful, but not so much for other animals or creatures.

Animated creatures blink with a "undead" tile anyway and are easy to spot. People will know that they are undead, no matter how they look.

If you want more feedback, try posting the picture on the dwarffortress subreddit. It's quite active. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 12:42:47 am »

Should I bother making child or animated versions of this stuff or would you rather me work on other sprites first? As of right now I was thinking to just re use the original models for children and just add white eyes for the animated versions.

Whatever you find enjoyable. Kid sprite are probably most important with the domestic creatures since players those are the ones players are most likely to be breeding and raising in their fortresses. Then if you still want to draw more kid sprits maybe the underground creatures or the trainable creatures would be the next ones most useful to have kid versions. With there being so many other creatures after these three groups, they probably aren't worth the effort of making kid versions.

White eyes for undead sounds good. From what Meph says about zombies being rare, changing their eyes white sounds like a great way to quickly add zombie versions of every creature you make without spending too much time on them.

Oab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oab's 32x32 Dwarf Tile set now with creatures and animals.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 04:35:58 pm »

Goblin Update.

Spoiler: Goblins (click to show/hide)

This set is complete and available via the download. I will make another pass to improve this and the others down the road.

I am taking suggestions on what I should do next. Let me know!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 04:59:39 pm »

Maybe megabeasts? They are rare, but they are very memorable, players get an announcement whenever they show up, and are often displayed in zoos.

Or you could to 1 sprite each for the procedual creatures: Titans, Nightcreatures (Boogiemen, etc), Demons and Forgotten Beasts. Of course they wont fit their ingame description, but at least they'd fit the art style. And they appear in every fort (and adv-mode), regardless of biome and region.

7ego

• Escaped Lunatic
  • go-go gadget, Fortress Mode
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 05:03:39 pm »

I like this art style, you have done a great job on the sprites can't wait to try out the pack, well done! hope you continue to finish it.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 01:40:06 am »

Your goblins look great, Oab!

Doing some procedural creatures sound like a good choice to me too. You're not limited to doing just 1 of each type of procedural. Sphr made 2 different tiles for Titans but only 1 for demons. Since most procedural creatures have randomized color and night creature color indicates their type, I'm wondering if "ADD_COLOR" instead of "AS_IS" might be good to use for them.

Also rivers were one of the more popular biomes in a survey from a while back. People are probably a little more likely to embark next to a river, so river creatures might be good ones to do too. (Forests were second-most popular, but there's a lot forest creatures.)

Here's a list of tags of non-vermin river & lake creatures sorted by objects file:
Spoiler: river biome creatures (click to show/hide)

I recommend using Mayday as a template for creature graphics. That's were I got the above tags from. Its creature definition tags were generated by CLA using Quiet Sun's scripts, so they should be good. Also it doesn't include vermin creature tags. The text files for the non-person creature tiles all start with "graphics_QS_ST_CRT_". Don't mix them up with the ones that start with "graphics_QS_ST_PRSN" – Those ones are animal people. 

The graphics set wiki page is also a good resource for double-checking tags.

Meph's tileset is probably the best example for procedural creature definitions – especially for night creatures. It might be the only graphics pack that includes night creature creature graphics. Night creature includes several types of creatures, so it might be hard to draw a tile that fits them all.

Oab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 05:02:26 pm »

Finished some more stuff. Thanks for the idea's and information, it's appreciated!

Spoiler: Megabeasts+more (click to show/hide)

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 03:57:31 am »

This is looking great! Keep the good work!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4