Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

0.44.05: No options to craft instruments or bookmaking-relateds

(1/2) > >>

Achanei:
Hey everyone,
I have a rather strange problem and figured I'd ask for help here in case I'm missing something obvious:

I got myself the latest version of DF, genned a world and am in my third year in fortress mode now, and I seem to be unable to craft anything related to locations - at first, I thought it was simply a quirk of worldgen that my civ didn't get any musical instruments to craft or something like that, and bought some from caravans, but then I wanted to start a library and simply couldn't get my miller to make paper slurry - Even after he ran out on anything else that was millable. So I figured, screw him, gonna make some parchment. Now this is the point where I realize, after building an ashery, that there is no job for that either. Nor for making quicklime powder. What am I missing?

PatrikLundell:
The most common reason for this in new worlds seems to be installation of a graphics pack that hasn't been (properly) updated to contain the "new" stuff. Since you're missing things that were introduced in the precious arc, your graphics pack may be quite old.

Achanei:

--- Quote from: PatrikLundell on January 20, 2018, 04:50:13 am ---The most common reason for this in new worlds seems to be installation of a graphics pack that hasn't been (properly) updated to contain the "new" stuff. Since you're missing things that were introduced in the precious arc, your graphics pack may be quite old.

--- End quote ---

Ah, yes, that may well be the case, thank you! I run DF on linux so I cobbled a graphics pack together manually based on some forum thread, I just checked if the game was running and figured that was confirmation enough. Do you know if this is a worldgen issue, or something I can fix in the actual save by changing graphics packs? Because the worldgen-side of instruments and books certainly exists, caravans bring them into the fortress and all, what's missing are simply the menu options.

And, on a related note, any advice on getting an up-to-date graphics pack for linux? or at least some more current raw files so I can manually build one that lets me make some book materials?

PatrikLundell:
I'm a poor adviser when it comes to tile set upgrades, as my attempts to get a 0.44.05 version going was met with failure...

I didn't think tile sets/graphics packs were OS dependent, as I thought they consisted of raw changes and graphics data files, but no code?

For the time being I suffer under Windows, since Linux is still not the best choice for game playing, so I can't give advice there either.

Achanei:
Yeah, well, you are right about tilesets being OS-independent, but usually when you get a tileset you simply download a full, upgraded DF client - and those are OS-specific, and I couldn't find a tileset with a linux client. so instead I followed one guy's step-by-step to update the raws of an existing DF version, and that worked - until I realized that books are unavailable, three years in. I'll try to use this by-hand method for an updated tileset, now, and see if I can get that to work (and if the updated savegame allows me to craft books). It'd be a shame to lose this fort.

and yeah, Linux is not the prime choice for gaming, its true, allthough things are getting better - but I like to play some DF on my crappy linux  notebook while travelling, I have a windows machine at home for actual gaming.

Still, thanks for your advice, simply the hint that it was a tileset issue was extremely helpful, I did not think about that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version