Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Magma Minecart shotgun

(1/1)

Novaris:
Hi guys,

I'm trying to get my minecart based lava/magma "delivery system" to work but somehow I fail to get magma into the minecart and the minecart out of the magma. I have small section filled with magma by a screwpump which pressurizes the area to 7. As soon as a minecart falls in, one tile changes to 6 and the minecart shows 833 "units" of magma inside, which is a good start but I cant get the minecart out of the 3 tile long section anymore. I tried rollers (I seem to fail at constructing ramp rollers somehow?) impulse ramps facing SW in a N->S leading magma mold, even paving each tile with impulse ramps only leads to the minecart being stuck at the last tile on the ramp before going 1 z level up.

--- Code: ---###
#RSSG#
#I#
#R#
###

R ... ramp NS
S ... screw pump pumping from east
G ... floor grate leading to magma
I ... impulse ramp SW

failed :(

###
#ISSG#
#I#
#I#
###

failed :(

--- End code ---

somehow my minecarts get washed back by the magma flow the minecart generates when filling up and then the impulse ramps aren't enough to push it out of the magma. I really hope some of you have an idea what I did wrong :)

gchristopher:
Try the rollers again. (I forget which speed works, it's one of the lower ones to permit time for magma to fill.)

Make sure both ramps are NS ramp tracks, and the flat space is a NS track first, then construct S rollers on all three tiles. The rollers and mechanisms will need to be magma safe, obviously.

I've never tried to construct an unpowered/impulse ramp magma filling trench, but there are some ancient posts somewhere describing how it might be possible.

You shouldn't be seeing the cart pushed around by flow if you have a screw pump refilling it. The 2/7 that enters the cart should be replaced extremely quickly by the pressurized source, as long as there's no lack of magma beneath the screw pump.

As always, also consider a way to empty a trench for repairs/changes before filling it. :)

Novaris:
Thank you, my mistake was that I assumed rollers are also tracks, not that I need to carve the tracks before. After consulting the wiki, my cannon now fires with 2 shots per second with automatic reload of minecarts! :D and only 7 dwarfes were killed during the construction phase :/ I have the first 3 on lowest speed, a pump in the middle and two fastest ones to leave the magma chamber, followed by a series of impulse ramps to accelerate the projectile. At the end of the acceleration track is a wall and above that fortifications. The cart crashes against the wall, its content flies over the fortification on the next z level, the minecart itself falls through the hole below the wall and is moved back with a series of tracks to the magma chamber.  works perfectly :D Range about 30 tiles with 15° arc :D

Many thanks for the input though, that was excatly my mistake, no tracks below the ramps :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)z0:

z -1:

z -2:

Firering Range:

gchristopher:
Glad that helped! Minecart shotguns should never be omitted from any fortress.

Also:

--- Quote from: Urist McOverlord on May 10, 2010, 11:00:21 pm ---Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version