Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: removing creatures from worldgen?  (Read 2304 times)

kongor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
removing creatures from worldgen?
« on: January 22, 2018, 10:08:11 am »

hi everyone,
i've removed flying creatures under the creatures tab in the mdf launcher, but it seems i still get things like giant flies and giant hornets ruining my day.  i have to assume the creature options do work because removing vermin actually gets rid of them, but i'm wondering if i'm missing some option that would explain why these flying nuisances still get genned? 
this is on the most recent release.
thanks,
k

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: removing creatures from worldgen?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 07:22:11 pm »

I didn't consider flying vermin/insects. They are removed with the "vermin" button. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kongor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 01:13:35 pm »

hi meph, thanks for responding.
unfortunately, i'm still getting these things (along with exotics like wyverns and amphisbaena) having disabled both flying creatures and vermin through the launcher - my workaround has been to exterminate them via dfhack's region-pop plugin, but it seems like some raws were missed(?) when putting in that particular option.  that said, i can help find the missing creatures/raws if that's something you'd be willing to add in for the next update
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:28:57 pm by kongor »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 04:36:33 pm »

The problem is, that a single creature can have multiple subtypes. For example flying and vermin, or flying and cavern. I can only add the creature to one.

Wyverns for example sound like a modded creature, so that's not included in the vanilla flying/vermin creature options. And amphisbaena is one of the procedually/randomly generated creatures, which is not affects by the launcher button at all.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kongor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 04:47:43 pm »

welp, that's unfortunate, but it definitely clears things up.  guess i'll have to just dfhack out the flying creatures every embark after all.  thanks again for getting back to me though, as well as for having the option available in the first place!

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 06:59:04 am »

Yeah I noticed it, but a lot of the extra content inn the mod packs are not included in those options.... another note if you remove vermin a lot of creatures will have nothing to eat... which is fine if you don't plan to have any cats, pigs, chicken like creatures.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 12:27:59 pm »

As if they could starve. ^^