Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MonsterMMORPG: "like pokemon, but not really"  (Read 1471 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MonsterMMORPG: "like pokemon, but not really"
« on: January 22, 2018, 01:37:51 pm »

official page: http://www.monstermmorpg.com/

dont know what to say about this one. im pretty astonished that a college thesis project could become a stand alone game so cheers to the creator for coming with it.

at its core, MonsterMMORPG is a monster catching and battling MMO heavily inspired by the Pokemon Franchise. i have only started playing it today but it seems there's 2000 (or more, not sure) species of monsters with different designs ranging from too familiar to almost kaiju looking.

the map is massive actually, im just in the first region and im already walking a lot, the species density per zone is quite heavy for the short walk you have to do. and well, some of the species look quite out of place regarding the ecosystem but that's a minor nuissance.

dont know what else to say. the game seems to have been released in 2015, and it has been improved overtime up to last year. time will tell i think, my only real complain is the interface and the way everything is played (must be the PhP basis of the game or something like that).

i'd recommend it anyways, the controls are a bit slow because its played like a dungeon crawler but the battles and other interactions are faster. gonna see how much far i get on this.

btw, the game is f2P, there's a donation and reward system based on medals from referrals and guild wars but there's not an actual cash shop or anything like that.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MonsterMMORPG: "like pokemon, but not really"
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 01:49:28 pm »

I'm looking through the list of not-Pokemon, and a lot of them appear to be modified Pokemon images... or maybe it's because I'm looking for exactly that I'm seeing it.

Also, for some reason, right at the bottom of every page there's a disclaimer, that also has a link in the middle of it labeled "There is only one Creator of everything and anything", and that link goes to a site about Islam.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 01:57:33 pm »

well the game was originally be a Pokemon MMORPG but due to copyright issues the creator had to use monsters with a similar look to them. doesnt surprise if you find species that look like realistic versions of the actual pokemon but that only makes it more surreal.

as for the Islam part, the developer is from Turkey so it must be a part from the turkish site that was kept in translation. just a matter of ignoring it.

EDIT:

okay this thing is quite challenging but im starting to get the ropes. finished Zone 1 after a long time walking. have catched only 2 more monsters but the full team has been able to get this far. one is normal + psychic, the other is dragon + water and the starter which is fire + light.

there were some unfair matches against NPC trainers but you can more or less figure out a way out. the game also shows some details of the stat changes during combat. allthought it can be weird sometimes to understand when an attack does damage or how does the enemy evade the attacks. it needs more visual indicators rather than the text reports.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:26:07 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 04:35:10 pm »

hmmmm there seems to be more diversity in terms of moves or i've seen moves with similar mechanics on different types. checking the stats there's some extra stuff too like, each monster comes with 3 traits i mean, a physical trait, a quirk and another thing. there's also natures.

i caught 2 more monsters. a grass + fight and a bug + poison. its hard to decide what to keep seeing there's a lot of species but im going for the dual type thing to cover. as for lvling, there seems to be a daily exp bonus each day but i spent it yesterday so i think i gotta have to wait until the next downtime to lvl the bug.

im at Zone 3 right now which is a huge forest full of bugs. Zone 2 was like a jungle/swamp full of grass types.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 04:48:49 pm »

Ooph, the UI is pretty confusing.  This site is gonna get taken down if it gains any popularity imo.  The devs try to put disclaimers saying the game isn't pokemon, while at the same time leaving text copied from pokemon games (like the test for the pokemon bag).  Seems like a safer bet to play PokemonMMO or PokemonRevolution.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 08:30:05 am »

Made an account but I haven't played yet. I got sent to the "how to play" section.

Surely there's a better way.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 10:18:38 am »

the game play is the second button in the top of the site. it also opens a menu but if you click on it it sends you to the world map. sadly, the thing is designed to have a page for each thing. the main gameplay one shows the map movement, monters and other informations while having the inventory and options like checking your team. but once you hit to see the items or check the stats of your monsters it has to change to a different page.

one gets used to it after a while. some things like the store and the monster healing station have a button that returns to the main gameplay page but in others you have to press the button on the top again. how is that this thing has been running for more than 3 years is enigmatic. at this point the dev could have made a standalone version of it that doesnt rely on webpages to work but oh well.