Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF remote latest?  (Read 2558 times)

Luponius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF remote latest?
« on: January 24, 2018, 05:38:33 am »

Hi all, following a topic I made regarding remote Android and having looked around a bit, I realized that I'm not actually sure what current projects are actively running remotely.  I don't require Android access per se, could just do with my work browser over and https connection, but I'm wondering if there are any tools still being actively developed for this.

I checked DFterm3 which was discontinued, Web Fortress and DF Everywhere haven't had any activity in a couple of years - is there anything that would / could support the latest DF?  I might be interested in tweaking code to update to latest versions if there's some familiarity for me with the languages used.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF remote latest?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 08:52:44 am »

I'm not very familiar with browser-based Dwarf Fortress interfaces, but if you can find one that uses the remotefortressreader plugin to talk to Dwarf Fortress, it might not matter if it's an old version. Remotefortressreader is built-in to DFHack, so it gets updated with it.

Luponius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 04:31:46 pm »

Thanks for the reply, still very new to the modding area and not sure what's what, seems like DFHack is a big deal for gaining access to a lot of buried features in DF!

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 04:35:54 pm »

WebFortress shouldn't be difficult to update to the latest version. However, it's just a desktop DF user interface in browser - it still requires a big (not phone size) screen and most important a keyboard to play.

I don't think there were/are any other similar projects apart from those you mentioned and my DF Remote.

Luponius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 04:08:25 am »

Thanks mifki, unfortunately cpp is most definitely not my strong suit, one query I have is for what version does this remote run on?  I'd be glad to get it to work to start with as is, and then maybe try finding some documentation on changes and crawl through whatever needs doing to get it up to speed.  Would be a nice little (maybe hopeless) side project to have :D

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 05:27:17 am »

Thanks mifki, unfortunately cpp is most definitely not my strong suit, one query I have is for what version does this remote run on?  I'd be glad to get it to work to start with as is, and then maybe try finding some documentation on changes and crawl through whatever needs doing to get it up to speed.  Would be a nice little (maybe hopeless) side project to have :D

Not quite sure which of the projects you're talking about.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 06:57:59 am »

The are talking about WebFortress. It was programmed in C++. It looks like Mifki's old fork is on DF v0.34.11.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 08:01:22 am »

remotefortressreader is a plugin for reading a currently running fortress, and supports quite a lot, but there's nothing on android that uses it.

If somebody wants to write something, I'd be happy to help out.