Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another minecart post  (Read 494 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another minecart post
« on: January 25, 2018, 12:29:49 pm »

Hello there, I'm having huge trouble with minecarts first of all: despite both tracks being identical (symmetric) one of them doesn't want to be pushed down a ramp anymore. At the first attempt they both went but now I see the right one being pushed, staying at place, and the dwarf rushing back to try again, stuck in an infinite loop that can only be ended by sleep, hunger or thirst WTF

Secondly, the numbers on the wiki don't stick remotely to my experience: 2 downramps are not able to compensate for 4 corners + 2 straight tiles, eventough according to wiki the thing should be accelerating with trackstops on lowest friction (1 per 2z)

sooo... plis halp I've had simpler setups working before am I missing something obvious? Or did I create impulse ramps? the setup is very compact but accomodates rollers for the way back up (that I don't get so see in action as it stands now)

ps: when I follow the minecart it looks like each step slows it down the same amount, even the downramps
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:40:15 pm by dragdeler »
let

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another minecart post
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 03:38:50 pm »

What are you trying to achieve? How is the track configuration on the ramps?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 06:35:07 am »

The inner tracks that move outward go down, the  outer tracks that move inward go up. I'd like it to be: one closed loop that moves vertically. At the moment there's a module to fill minecarts with magma at the bottom, but once that's done the thing will be accomodated to carry stone.
let

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 11:01:51 am »

So you want to have one circuit going down (using trackstops as breaks) and the other circuit lifting carts up (using roller). Plenty of your ramps are not usable and this might be the source of your problems. (The solid tiles are missing.)

More formally, a usable ramp requires four tiles:

A ramp tile
    An open space tile directly above the ramp
    A "solid" tile next to the ramp tile (including diagonals)
    A "walkable" tile directly above the "solid" tile

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 01:53:07 pm »

but it simply says gabbro upward track (N) and the same tile one z above it says gabbro downward track (N), did I engrave it wrong?

woops it says (S) on those that are supposed to go down
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 01:56:07 pm by dragdeler »
let

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 05:16:09 pm »

On the level where it is displayed as "upward" ramp, is there a wall tile north of the ramp you're looking at? (There are eight up ramps in your picture, i've no idea which one you mean.)
If not, your ramp is just a flat track tile with fancy graphics for the purpose of minecarts, the cart will never go "up" from the ramp.

In order for a minecart to be able to go up from a ramp, it must pass towards a wall tile adjacent to the ramp, and the ramp itself must have track direction towards this wall (and the ramp must be "usable" according to the rules laid out by taptap above).

Cart acceleration on ramps has little to do with going "down". Ramps can accelerate a cart only if they have track connection to at least one wall tile and exactly one non-wall tile (ramp, floor or open space). Ramps with only a single track connection, like you describe, cannot possibly fulfill these conditions and will never accelerate carts. A complete lack of acceleration of course won't compensate for the friction of corners.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 12:26:28 pm »

No ramp ever worked without wall next to them, for Dwarf to step upon it. I discovered that myself, when digging through 11 levels of aquifer. At first, it took me by surprise, why error message spam about "can't find path", when everything seems to work so smoothly.