Other Projects > Curses

4.12.7 Weird fonts and frequent crashes when recruiting

(1/2) > >>

gre11023:
Hello everyone, I recently picked up again this nice classic that is thankfully still being maintained, but I'm having a couple of issues;

- Weird fonts mixed in names with accents. Here under spoilers an exampleSpoiler (click to show/hide)As you can see what I guess should be the name Luìs instead has U+252C box drawing before the accented i; the program does this with other non-english names too. Suspecting some weirdness due to my desktop language (it still uses the latin alphabet, but has a tad more letters), I swapped it and keyboard layout to US English, but it made no difference. The game's executable code page was already to 437 OEM-US, to boot. I'm using Windows 10, if it makes any difference.

- The game crashes rather often during the random encounters, talking about politics to prospect recruits; sometimes after the 'What?' from your subject, other times when they reply to your political statement. I imagine this must be related to the problem above, since it clearly depends on some specific lines. So it's functionally random whether I manage to complete a conversation, I have to luck out and get an interaction not containing the lines that make my game crash.

Even though I think I isolated the problem, I'm not sure how to proceed, I never fiddled much around language options and the like. What do you think could solve this problem?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Taberone:
Send a PM to IsaacG about it? Can't try to help you with anything yet, since I haven't played LCS in a while and need to upgrade to 4.12.7 to see what's going on myself.

IsaacG:

--- Quote from: gre11023 on January 26, 2018, 01:58:28 pm ---- The game crashes rather often during the random encounters, talking about politics to prospect recruits; sometimes after the 'What?' from your subject, other times when they reply to your political statement. I imagine this must be related to the problem above, since it clearly depends on some specific lines. So it's functionally random whether I manage to complete a conversation, I have to luck out and get an interaction not containing the lines that make my game crash.

Even though I think I isolated the problem, I'm not sure how to proceed, I never fiddled much around language options and the like. What do you think could solve this problem?
Thanks in advance for any help.

--- End quote ---
Crap, I thought I fixed this.  I'll get right on it.

IsaacG:

--- Quote from: gre11023 on January 26, 2018, 01:58:28 pm ---- Weird fonts mixed in names with accents.

--- End quote ---
Fixed.

--- Quote from: gre11023 on January 26, 2018, 01:58:28 pm ---- The game crashes rather often during the random encounters, talking about politics to prospect recruits; sometimes after the 'What?' from your subject, other times when they reply to your political statement. I imagine this must be related to the problem above, since it clearly depends on some specific lines. So it's functionally random whether I manage to complete a conversation, I have to luck out and get an interaction not containing the lines that make my game crash.

--- End quote ---

I haven't been able to replicate this error.  It might be a Windows 10 issue.

Coronel_Niel:
I'm getting the problem on Windows 10 when running in compatibility for Win 7 and 8. Shame you can't reproduce it.

Anything I can run to debug the crash for you? I don't get the option to dump, it's a clean crash.

EDIT:

Crashes on line talk.cpp line 1111

--- Code: --- mvaddstrAlt(y++,  1, talkAboutTheIssues[lw][1], gamelog);
--- End code ---

Some of the issues stored in talkAboutTheIssues have only 1 line, so when this is called you get an access violation. Notably:

"The police regularly torture minority suspects during interrogations."

and

"Over thirty innocent people have been executed over the past decade."

You can fix this yourself by going to the file in art/talk/talkAboutTheIssues.txt and changing the beginning to reflect below:

--- Code: ---LAW_ABORTION
"The government is systematically trying to rob women of the right
to control their own destinies."
LAW_ANIMALRESEARCH
"Animals are routinely subjected to inhumane treatment in labs in this
country."
LAW_POLICEBEHAVIOR
"The police regularly torture minority suspects during interrogations.
They are unfairly targeted."
LAW_PRIVACY
"Files are being kept on innocent citizens whose only crime is to
speak out against a system that is trying to farm them like beasts."
LAW_DEATHPENALTY
"Over thirty innocent people have been executed over the past decade.
This number grows yearly."
LAW_NUCLEARPOWER
"Radioactive waste is being stored all over the country, and it poses
a serious threat to many families, even in this neighborhood."
--- End code ---

This requires modifying a text file and doesn't need recompiling. I ran the game to confirm those show up in the game and they have. (Mine are shit but who reads them anyway)

P.S. I got this to compile on Vis Studio 2017 so I'm unsure where your problem lies there but did nothing special so not sure I can help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version