Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Tanning of hides, bigger animals make more (larger) tanned hide

(1/5) > >>

warwizard:
 So currently, I can tan a rabbit and make a leather armor out of it, and I can tan a dragon, and make a shoe out of it... wait, what?

Yeah that 20,000 urist weight dragon produces only enough tanned hide for one object. I would like the butcher job to create a hide that is 5% of the creature's starting mass OR to create a stack of hides accomplishing the same result. The different leather work items would then need to use different amount of hide materials, or even different hides from different types of animal. Example the ostrich skin cowboy boots still use cow leather for the soles and inner layer of the boot.

You should need to gather up some 50 or so rabbit hides to make a leather cloak, or one dragon hide to make a dozen leather cloaks.

And that roc hide, well it weighs 6000 urists, and can provide roc hide clothing for the entire fort for years.

SixOfSpades:
Also #1: Fur. Long-haired mammals like bears, yaks & llamas should give "pelts", with the fur still on it. Turning a pelt into a hide would require the additional step of "unhairing", which would take place at the Tanner's shop, require some quicklime (IIRC), and produce the same hair as a shearing job. Pelts would provide better cold insulation & probably be more expensive than the same clothing/armor made from hides, but be more difficult to keep clean.

Also #2: There should be at least 3 different levels of skin thickness/toughness. You can currently make chicken skin into armor, and rhinoceros hide into gloves. No WAY should that be possible.

Encrtia:
I concur.

compsognathus:

--- Quote from: warwizard on January 26, 2018, 04:54:11 pm ---   You should need to gather up some 50 or so rabbit hides to make a leather cloak, or one dragon hide to make a dozen leather cloaks.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: SixOfSpades on January 27, 2018, 02:44:39 am ---Also #1: Fur. Long-haired mammals like bears, yaks & llamas should give "pelts", with the fur still on it. Turning a pelt into a hide would require the additional step of "unhairing", which would take place at the Tanner's shop, require some quicklime (IIRC), and produce the same hair as a shearing job. Pelts would provide better cold insulation & probably be more expensive than the same clothing/armor made from hides, but be more difficult to keep clean.

Also #2: There should be at least 3- 4- 5- 6 different levels of skin thickness/toughness. You can currently make chicken skin into armor, and rhinoceros hide into gloves. No WAY should that be possible.

--- End quote ---

I agree

catoblepas:
I'd love to see an overhaul of how the leather industry currently works, but I suspect proper furs will have to wait until if/when Toady gets around to implementing compound items (stuff made from multiple materials) Something I eagerly anticipate, but suspect is pretty far off.

Larger animals should definitely yield larger quantities of skin though-not just just because of the larger surface area, but also because larger hides can be split into thinner, more usable hides.

Creatures drop varying amounts of bone, meat etc based on how big they are, it would make sense for skins to scale as well, or at least for a skin to be convertible into a number of leather units appropriate for its size upon tanning.

While we are at it, I think scale and chitin is still not usable as a leather substitute? I would be nice if it could be used.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version