Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Claiming Site Confusion  (Read 3347 times)

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Claiming Site Confusion
« on: January 28, 2018, 03:08:16 am »

From what I've read, Outsiders can't claim sites (custom-built Mead Hall in my case). Is this true?
My character says "I've forgotten my bold pronouncement..."

Assuming it is true, is there something I can do to fix that? (Prefer a quick edit to modifications)
~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.

Cipactli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Claiming Site Confusion
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 03:20:29 am »

I've also attempted to do this as an Outsider. Sentient outsiders are considered tribal so they come from the wild with no idea what law is. Since the Outsider belonged to no civ with common law to copy from I suppose, you'll get the "I've forgotten my bold pronouncement" since your character is wild. The only way to circumvent this is to retire your Outsider in a civilized area, causing him to be "reformed" the next time you unretire the character.

At that point I just stopped playing Outsiders when I wanted to do a conquest game, only saving it for being an adventurer or thief in general. Its more faster to draw from a civ.

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 03:31:33 am »

Thanks. Wish I knew that before-hand ::)
~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.

Demandro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 09:24:32 am »

Vanilla game should have either a warning or an option to create your own primitive civ., just in case if someone like me wasted half an hour pressing button for movement in one direction just to get on an island in a middle of nowhere and made there nice house... in adventure mode, because I'm INDEPENDENT human who had to start in tree hugger village since it was closer to my destination.
I bet even Armok can't make and anvil without having one already, the true god is Anvil, and Armok is just a mere pawn in it's wicked game, a slave whose sole purpose is to make and destroy worlds for his superiors amusement...
EDIT: Forget the anvil, you can't mine ore without pickaxe therefore you can't make neither anvil or pickaxe.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 02:33:23 pm »

You can join a civ if you can get a site leader to accept you as a hearthperson (or maybe entertainer). You can make people like you by giving them gifts, especially named gifts. You can carve bones into trinkets, name them, give them to some lord or lady, then ask them to make you a hearthperson.

Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 02:22:51 am »

There is a warning. It's right at the beginning and says "Dwarf Fortress is in alpha". Regardless of shiny tilesets going on sale someplace, this hasn't changed.

The world simulation currently cannot handle completely independent sites. Hopefully will change someday.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 03:53:04 am »

You can join a civ if you can get a site leader to accept you as a hearthperson (or maybe entertainer). You can make people like you by giving them gifts, especially named gifts. You can carve bones into trinkets, name them, give them to some lord or lady, then ask them to make you a hearthperson.

you could also just retire in a civ site that usually get you citizenship though at that point you also could just unretire another adventurer.

also I think the reason the outsiders can't do this is probably a way how the game handles civilizations as it seems like they are all splinter off the main one the adventurer came from and having no civ to start from would either error out or draw from nothing which would lead to a civ with no entity or ethics to draw from.
so as a bandaid outsiders just don't get to claim.

though I guess a good answer to this would be to party up with a different adventurer so that you don't end up getting lock out by character creation, sure sucks for solo play but uhh man multi-adv party runs are a life savior on scenarios like these since you could have someone from a civ just claim the site then hearthperson the outsider and or be able to retire the group regardless of starting point since one of them became the lord of the site.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes