Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress' Negative Representation of Migrants and Refugees  (Read 11658 times)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress' Negative Representation of Migrants and Refugees
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2018, 04:57:37 pm »

For what it's worth, re: keeping things apolitical -

A couple days ago after many go-arounds over several days about inserting politics into DF migrant discussions, which seems to be GoblinCookie's passion, I caught, quoted, and commented strongly on a blindingly hypocritical post of his which was absolutely bleeding with hatred and judgmentalism against people who have different political views than his.  The things he wrote were really quite hideous, to be honest.

The next day the entire set of quotes and replies was gone, deleted from the boards.  And now he's back, baiting more people with garbage political nonsense that has no place in a DF discussion.

Don't bother getting baited by his trashy replies.  If you are ever able to find his hypocrisies and illustrate them using his own words, he'll simply complain to the admins and get the discussion memory-holed.

And then he'll come right back and continue flinging feces around the room.

Why do people have to degrade Bay 12 with troll antics, it's like the nicest most drama-free community on the internet
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2018, 06:02:51 pm »

If you are ever able to find his hypocrisies and illustrate them using his own words, he'll simply complain to the admins and get the discussion memory-holed.
If things get too politically messy, toady tends to remove them himself, and usually warns the person/people causing them. He likes keeping the controversy of the forum to a minimum, and I'm glad he does because if things gets too messy, no one (but the trolls) get happy.

After all, this is a forum dedicated to games and fun, not politics.

Iamblichus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2018, 05:01:44 pm »

I can understand wanting to impose your political views on a AAA video game, one that is going to be played by countless numbers of impressionable young people, but worrying about the politics of DF?  Come on- DF has a small, mature player base and while DF is influential with game developers that influence is solely due to mechanics not content.   What is the point of making political changes to the content of DF?  I would bet that less than 1% of DF's small player base has had their politics influenced by this game.   The only two reasons I can think of to inject politics in to DF is to troll or if someone suffers from an uncontrollable compulsion and has to inject politics in to every aspect of their lives. 

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2018, 07:58:56 pm »

The only two reasons I can think of to inject politics in to DF is to troll or if someone suffers from an uncontrollable compulsion and has to inject politics in to every aspect of their lives.

Seems to me we've seen a little bit of both in the two threads dedicated to this type of stuff.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2018, 08:21:03 pm »

speaking of which, i got into an argument somewhere else with the OP where they accused toady of virtue signaling for including gay dwarves

this topic smacks of weirdness given that fact; I've avoided commenting that due to the fact that there was discussion going on, but now that it's gone meta I feel like I have to say that. The exact weirdness is, in descending order of good faith:
1. The OP had a change of heart regarding politics in this game;
2. The OP here doesn't realize the irony in this thread given previous overtures against virtue signaling;
3. The OP is trolling.

Those are the only reasonings I can imagine for this topic being made. I'd personally assume 1 unless further information came up.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2018, 07:29:45 am »

For what it's worth, re: keeping things apolitical -

A couple days ago after many go-arounds over several days about inserting politics into DF migrant discussions, which seems to be GoblinCookie's passion, I caught, quoted, and commented strongly on a blindingly hypocritical post of his which was absolutely bleeding with hatred and judgmentalism against people who have different political views than his.  The things he wrote were really quite hideous, to be honest.

The next day the entire set of quotes and replies was gone, deleted from the boards.  And now he's back, baiting more people with garbage political nonsense that has no place in a DF discussion.

Don't bother getting baited by his trashy replies.  If you are ever able to find his hypocrisies and illustrate them using his own words, he'll simply complain to the admins and get the discussion memory-holed.

And then he'll come right back and continue flinging feces around the room.

Oh yes, I direct personal attack on me.  I have now reported you. 

There is no such thing as the apolitical; the apolitical is just covert politics.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:31:38 am by GoblinCookie »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2018, 08:38:04 am »

Has there always been gay dwarves? I'm wondering if gay dwarves were added to help curb the number of children in fortresses.

Maybe he made some dwarves gay to reduce the number of children, but there were still too many children, so then he made some dwarves uninterested in relationships, but it still wasn't enough. So he gave up and made a setting for max children.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:45:22 am by jecowa »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2018, 11:46:31 am »

Has there always been gay dwarves? I'm wondering if gay dwarves were added to help curb the number of children in fortresses.

Maybe he made some dwarves gay to reduce the number of children, but there were still too many children, so then he made some dwarves uninterested in relationships, but it still wasn't enough. So he gave up and made a setting for max children.
Child cap existed long before gay dwarves. Dwarven sexual revolution occurred somewhat recently, around 2014. The wiki page for d_init.txt, created back in 2010, shows a child cap.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 12:05:29 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2018, 01:36:23 pm »

Child cap's been around since as long as I remember, sexual orientation was added in 0.40.01.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2018, 09:08:50 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, gay dwarves were originally an unintentional bug, where dwarves would form lover relationships with the same gender. Toady opted to simply make it a feature, and added the appropriate tags to the game.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2018, 09:35:31 pm »

Nope. Added in the longest dev cycle the game has ever had, where no such bug existed during it. The ORIENTATION token which can be used to affect sexual orientation statistics on a caste level was introduced alongside sexual orientation.

Nihilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2018, 04:18:37 pm »

bruh it's just a shitty simulation game, why are you bringing "right-wing rhetoric" into this? stop, don't do that. stop. please stop.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2018, 04:57:40 pm »

Oh, I didn't see that.

Well, in that case, bump up "trolling" to the most likely candidate, considering that OP has previously complained about the game supporting left-wing rhetoric (addition-of-sexual-orientation-being-virtue-signaling usually being complaints of that type).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2018, 04:03:13 am »

Goodness, who left this flaming bag of poo on the porch?

Dwarf fortress is what you make of it-- nothing more, nothing less.  It's good to get out of the respective echo chambers every now and again. Also, need I remind that it has been consistently shown that videogame violence does not translate into real world violence, and so railing against a video game depiction of some slight or other is absolute absurdity from the get go?  No?

Ok then.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 04:10:28 am by wierd »

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2018, 09:42:21 am »

Goodness, who left this flaming bag of poo on the porch?

Dwarf fortress is what you make of it-- nothing more, nothing less.  It's good to get out of the respective echo chambers every now and again. Also, need I remind that it has been consistently shown that videogame violence does not translate into real world violence, and so railing against a video game depiction of some slight or other is absolute absurdity from the get go?  No?

Ok then.

The evidence for the connection is contradictory.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4