Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress' Negative Representation of Migrants and Refugees  (Read 11662 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress' Negative Representation of Migrants and Refugees
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2018, 01:31:05 pm »

The civilizations of DF are not America. The rationale given by the OP is based on the conflict about migrants entering America, a conflict local to the culture of a few countries of one planets of one universe. DF's world is a fully independent universe, and so the migrants in it are not the migrants coming to America. Disliking DF's treatment of its own migrants because of your thoughts on our (this universe's) own migrants is absurd. DF's world does not carry over into our own, and so there is no flaw in its treatment of its own refugees.

TLDR: DF does not have a negative representation of migrants and refugees that are coming to America; it has a justified and internally consistent negative representation of its own migrants and refugees.

It is often difficult for me to clearly articulate my arguments in writing. If you see any way this post can be more clearly written, please tell me.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:33:50 pm by Eschar »

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2018, 01:34:02 pm »

For what it's worth, re: keeping things apolitical -

A couple days ago after many go-arounds over several days about inserting politics into DF migrant discussions, which seems to be GoblinCookie's passion, I caught, quoted, and commented strongly on a blindingly hypocritical post of his which was absolutely bleeding with hatred and judgmentalism against people who have different political views than his.  The things he wrote were really quite hideous, to be honest.

The next day the entire set of quotes and replies was gone, deleted from the boards.  And now he's back, baiting more people with garbage political nonsense that has no place in a DF discussion.

Don't bother getting baited by his trashy replies.  If you are ever able to find his hypocrisies and illustrate them using his own words, he'll simply complain to the admins and get the discussion memory-holed.

And then he'll come right back and continue flinging feces around the room.

Oh yes, I direct personal attack on me.  I have now reported you. 

There is no such thing as the apolitical; the apolitical is just covert politics.

Embarrassing.  If you read what I wrote with any level of care, you will find a very important distinction between what you and I write.  I am labeling your BEHAVIOR, whereas you label the IDENTITIES of other people.

For example, to me, your behavior is childish, embarrassing, pathetic, lame, laughable, poorly thought out, and narrow-minded.  Notice that I am not calling YOU those things, but instead your BEHAVIOR.  If someone else is behaving in a way I find abhorrent, I reserve absolutely every single right in the world to call out that other person's behavior in the clearest possible terms, without being accused of ad-hominem attacks or direct personal attacks, because I am NOT in ANY WAY directly attacking your personhood in the least.

On the other hand, through the course of our interactions on here, you have directly called ME, not my behavior, "stupid", "idiotic", and many other things, including your direct accusation that I myself am "a fascist", which could not be further from the truth.  These are all directly quoted words from your own keyboard.  In fact, in your since-deleted post which I referred to above, I excerpted at least five or six distinct lines which were undeniably direct personal attacks against those with whom you disagree.  Without being able to recall the exact words you used in the memory-holed post, I recall something along the lines of "unsophisticated redneck farmers" as well.

Your behavior is cringe-inducing.  Literally every other person on this forum appears to think so as well.

I'm done with this nonsense.  I sincerely hope, and trust, that Toady or whoever reads over the forum reports can differentiate between your unbelievably poor behavior, and the behavior of those who would call you out on your childish actions.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2018, 01:41:33 pm »

For example, to me, your behavior is childish, embarrassing, pathetic, lame, laughable, poorly thought out, and narrow-minded.  Notice that I am not calling YOU those things, but instead your BEHAVIOR.  If someone else is behaving in a way I find abhorrent, I reserve absolutely every single right in the world to call out that other person's behavior in the clearest possible terms, without being accused of ad-hominem attacks or direct personal attacks, because I am NOT in ANY WAY directly attacking your personhood in the least.

Ah, good point.

The narrow medium of language has no means for me to express my appreciation of someone actually supporting their position with rational arguments. Contrary to popular thought, B12 has only a few more of them than the rest of the Internet.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2018, 07:42:54 am »

Embarrassing.  If you read what I wrote with any level of care, you will find a very important distinction between what you and I write.  I am labeling your BEHAVIOR, whereas you label the IDENTITIES of other people.

On the other hand, through the course of our interactions on here, you have directly called ME, not my behavior, "stupid", "idiotic", and many other things, including your direct accusation that I myself am "a fascist", which could not be further from the truth.  These are all directly quoted words from your own keyboard.  In fact, in your since-deleted post which I referred to above, I excerpted at least five or six distinct lines which were undeniably direct personal attacks against those with whom you disagree.  Without being able to recall the exact words you used in the memory-holed post, I recall something along the lines of "unsophisticated redneck farmers" as well.

Your behavior is cringe-inducing.  Literally every other person on this forum appears to think so as well.

I'm done with this nonsense.  I sincerely hope, and trust, that Toady or whoever reads over the forum reports can differentiate between your unbelievably poor behavior, and the behavior of those who would call you out on your childish actions.

Toady One deleted your post, I am happy to be reminded of that.   :D :D :D

The rest of it is just a provocation full of lies and slander. 

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2018, 02:03:14 pm »

I've been out of the game for too long to determine if this is poking fun or social justice warrioring.
either way, rest assured i will boot up a game and atom-smash the next migrant waves in your honor.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]