Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Liberal Crime Squad Help!  (Read 9133 times)

SoulRiderX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Liberal Crime Squad Help!
« on: February 03, 2018, 10:21:59 pm »

i don't know if anyone still plays this game by bay 12 games still or not, but i can't use some of the commands! including the oh-so-necessary "go forth to stop EVIL" command. it's always grayed out! how can this be fixed?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Liberal Crime Squad Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 12:15:42 pm »

Grayed out? Can you provide a screenshot? That sounds really strange.

SoulRiderX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 11:59:06 am »

i tried but i don't know to make it get in the post. it would be way easier if there was an option that allowed me to attach it from a chosen location but nope, there is no such feature. all i can say is that i cannot use "go forth to stop EVIL" no matter how many times i start and exit the program.

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 12:50:18 pm »

I guess, to start, what version are you using?
LCS 4.12 Thread
https://discord.gg/HYbss8eswM
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Constitution of the Confederate States
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passe

SoulRiderX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 01:18:16 pm »

version 3.09, if i'm reading the manual correctly.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 01:47:12 pm »

i tried but i don't know to make it get in the post. it would be way easier if there was an option that allowed me to attach it from a chosen location but nope, there is no such feature.
Unlike some forums, this one isn't configured to allow "upload as a attchment" to space on the forum server itself. If you can upload it to an alternate upload-holder (there are countless image-hosting sites out there, with good and bad bits to each) you ought to be able to use the imagegtags (e.g. [img]external.site.url/imagespace/abdefg.png[/img] - or similar) to include it.  Some sites prevent cross-site embedding (they like you to visit their site 'properly', for various reasons) so you could just include the URL.

There's specific file-sharer site used for Dwarf Fortress on http://dffd.bay12games.com (Dwarf Fortress File Depot), but I'm not sure about its policy on not-DF-but-still-Bay12 files. Just letting you know for next time you're stuck in DF itself.

Version-wise, the (off-Bay12, not ToadyOne any more) latest versions of LCS are version 4.12.4 or later. Elsewhere in this Curses area there are threads dedicated to these that will point you to the right place to get these versions flr various platforms, hopefully yours included.

Noting that (on the version I've just tried) possible options are (light) grey, unusable ones are (darker) grey, when not otherwise highlit, it'd be nice to check that. Also, it's keyboard-only, in case you were clicking the mouse on the text, fruitlessly. Probably not your issue, in either case, as the point you're stuck is past numerous other necessary intersctions, but just mentioning it while I'm here.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 01:52:11 pm by Starver »

SoulRiderX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 01:50:20 pm »

I know the mouse won't work. Even when i hit the correct letter on the keyboard nothing happens.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 01:55:40 pm »

I know the mouse won't work. Even when i hit the correct letter on the keyboard nothing happens.
Just wanting to rule it out.

And I hope the rest might help you to help us to help you, too.

(I just edited in a bit about "various platforms" (with a typo, I notice!), might be a good idea to ask whether you're on Windows/Mac/Linux/Other, which iteration and stuff like that.)

SoulRiderX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 02:01:19 pm »

i use windows. i don't think i can post the picture since it's not on any website. it's just saved on my desktop, and it can't pull images from there. i'll reinstall the new version cause that's more recent. oops, hang on a minute. i just went to the website. this game hasn't been updated since august 2004. so there is no new version. :S
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 02:02:59 pm by SoulRiderX »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 02:10:11 pm »

As I said, there are image-hosting places that you can upload to. They may be useful to know for other reasons. I may have my own favourite, but I'm not sure I'd recomend it over the others, so other opinions would be good (from others here, willing to help you), or just search for "image hosting" on your favourite/default search engine and take pot-luck with what looks Ok to, you.

But do first try the newer version that you're already getting. That might solve it, straight off. Leaving you free to ask all the other questions you may then have!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 02:14:03 pm »

(Double-posting, in case you've read the above, and wouldn't notice an edit.)

Look at some of the other thread names on http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=3.0 and see how they advertise more recent versions. Hence:
Elsewhere in this Curses area there are threads dedicated to these that will point you to the right place to get these versions flr various platforms, hopefully yours included.
I think I added that in after you read and went to reply to the slightly less informative version of the post.

SoulRiderX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 04:20:09 pm »

i signed up for the DF file sharing site but i got a warning box saying it's a suspicious site, so i'm not going to use it.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 10:49:00 am »

It sounds, however, like you're using a (very) old version that you need to update. Go to the top thread and download the newest version!  :)

SoulRiderX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 01:06:30 pm »

i don't think you read all of the posts we've been posting. they haven't updated this game since august of 2004.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 01:30:37 pm »

Toady hasn't, others have.

See here for a version most recently edited at the end of January.

I think it's the latest version, at a glance, but there have been various forks and deforks along the way, that I know of, and multiple maintainers may currently be active (I can think of one other).
Pages: [1] 2