Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Screamlords: My logical mindset makes it hard to talk about space nazis  (Read 19541 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Screamlords
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 11:21:14 am »

Heavy, hands down. Because mechs and actual piloting!

(And personally, Tactical Breach Wizards sounds like Yet Another ER/Perplexicon/Chalice, and I suppose we've had plenty of them to date.)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 11:29:10 am »

Is this exclusively about what system you'll make and publish, or is this also to gauge interest for the next game you'd run yourself on bay12?
Bit of both, really. Mostly because I'll probably be running at least a short test game of anything I put out.

WWII in space and TBW seem to be our major picks at the moment.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 12:01:36 pm »

Hmm, one thing that makes deciding harder is that some of these ideas are little more than a setting idea or a pitch, while others give you more of an idea of how the game itself would look mechanically (and as we saw with DIG, a great setting or pitch can be torpedoed if the mechanics and game flow don't match up).

That said, I think I'd prefer Oro out of all of these, both for the setting and the game pitch as it was originally. Wasn't a fan of the feature/limb creep, but if that's fixed then I'm all for it.

Then, in order:
bathysphere ("DIG: slightly more damp edition")
Heavy, but depending on the setting, aka why are you fighting. If it's just an arena game then meh.
WW2 in spess ("ER: slightly more fascist stomping edition")
Colossal, due to the setting, but I dunno if SotC translates well into forum format.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 12:43:16 pm »

In order:
Colossal.
Bathysphere.
Battle Royale
I'd say

Questorhank

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll find something to put here... eventually
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 01:26:25 pm »

Tactical Breach Wizards
WW2 in Space
RTD Graveyard
Many people have gone missing or died.
I don't remember their names.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 01:48:23 pm »

TBW and WWIInS seems to be the choices right now.

Think I'll poke TBW first, mechanically, to see what I can come up with.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 01:53:06 pm »

I'd like Heavy, but with supertanks and not mechs.  Or Revolver, as that was fun.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 03:41:08 pm »

WW2 in space
Tactical Breach Wizards
CULT

in that order for me

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 06:17:23 pm »

Current rankings:

Maze 1
[Unnamed Racing game] 3
Revolver: Blood and Neon 1
Ouroboropolis 3
The Glowing King 1
Poison 0
Bathysphere 5
Battle Royale 2
Colossal 5
Mainspring 4
Heavy 3
WWII in Space 10
CULT 3
Tactical Breach Wizards 7

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 06:55:43 pm »

We actually have 2 at least for revolver, me and Devastator voted for it.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 07:55:35 pm »

So, thinking about Wizard Tactics, I've come up with a few fundamental game play concepts that will influence everything else.

1. Movement and actions
So there are basically three ways to handle this.  The first, as seen in things like the original Xcom and Divinity 2, is Action points. Basically, every action, power, and movement would have a cost and you could do as much or as many as you wanted so long as you could pay it. The second, as seen in the recent Xcom and a lot of other more contemporary tactics games, is the idea of having 1 move and then an action or two moves with no action, or an action alone. The last is the Fire emblem or advance wars style where you move once, and then attack or just attack.

I would go for action points.

2. Classes
So in the original xcom, if memory serves, you don't have any kind of classes or restrictions. Anyone could use any weapon or item and no one had any special abilities.  Divinity 2 is...kind of like that where any character can use any spell or weapon or item if they have the right stats or skills or attributes or whatever. There's a lot of freedom in that, but everyone also feels very interchangeable if they're not specialized or have some sort of defining trait. The alternative is to have set classes with set abilities, items, weapons, etc that they and only they can use. It means you're more restricted on how you can act, but it also means that each unit has one thing they're good at and can contribute in a meaningful way.

I'd go for Classes.

3. Micromanaging
Original Xcom and Divinity 2 have a LOT of micromanaging. Managing each armor piece, each magazine, each gun, each grenade, each item, etc. Meanwhile the recent xcom, and a lot of tactical games, don't bother with that sort of thing. Guns just have infinite ammo, though they need to be reloaded every so often, and items are generally very few and are replaced automatically upon mission end.

I prefer minimal micromanaging.

4. Permadeath
All the Xcoms and Fire emblem have permadeath, at least in terms of units being able to be used. Divinity 2 has death but it can be undone by resurrection spells and scrolls, and some tactics games just have characters "Faint" and get brought back upon the level ending.

I prefer permadeath

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 07:58:54 pm »

Oh hey. This time I'm around and might actually join a game.

Tactical Breach Wizards
Heavy
Poison.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:33:52 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 08:59:39 pm »

Just my Opinion here. I think move'n'shoot would be better if you're planning to do a lot of other complex mechanics. Action points don't add much to the game, and are tedious. Additionally, you can still have a tactical strategy based game with a more streamlined system.

As far as Classes VS A La Carte, could you implement a skill system? Like, you have about a dozen magic stats (Projectile, Spray, Touch, Fire, Animate, Ect.) And do each one go up to three, then all the spells and items have prerequisites, and the player has a limited number of spell slots. Low level spell, like a simple attack spell, only require a single level in one skill. Then higher level spells would require either higher levels, higher variety, or both. Players could use experience to upgrade skills. New items and spells can either be bought, or found. That would also have the effect of players trading and interacting, as not everyone will be able to use everything they find. Which could be good or bad, depending on how you look at it.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 10:43:43 pm »

In terms of WWIInS I've got a bit thought out already

One of the biggest things about this setting and pulp science fantasy in general is that you have to apply the rules of an understandable world to space. And part of that means making space MUCH MUCH smaller. Making space a place where you can reasonably move around without it taking months, years, decades or lifetimes is a very important for that sort of careless adventure feeling. Being able to bop around to different planets and see them clearly from the planet you're on is fun.

Second, you need a form of FTL. Even if you can move between planets in days and stars in weeks, you don't want to have to take that long most times. And to me I like the idea of FTL travel that isn't 100% safe and isn't instant. Nothing as horrendous as the Warp, but more like the sea voyages of old. They usually went ok but occasionally you might hit a storm or a sea monster.

To that end, I have the Primrose drive.

Spoiler: Rambling (click to show/hide)

Power sources are another thing. In science fiction power sources are a big consideration but in science fantasy its pretty much a nonissue. No one in star wars ever talked about running out of fuel or having no battery for their light saber. Because petty shit like that is not cohesive to adventuring.  But I think you should still at least have some explanation of what the power source is, if it ever comes up. Oh and of course it has to be explosive.

Spoiler: Power source Rambling (click to show/hide)

Finally, a list of standard fantasy tech and what is and isn't in the setting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 11:37:05 pm »

Just my Opinion here. I think move'n'shoot would be better if you're planning to do a lot of other complex mechanics. Action points don't add much to the game, and are tedious. Additionally, you can still have a tactical strategy based game with a more streamlined system.

As far as Classes VS A La Carte, could you implement a skill system? Like, you have about a dozen magic stats (Projectile, Spray, Touch, Fire, Animate, Ect.) And do each one go up to three, then all the spells and items have prerequisites, and the player has a limited number of spell slots. Low level spell, like a simple attack spell, only require a single level in one skill. Then higher level spells would require either higher levels, higher variety, or both. Players could use experience to upgrade skills. New items and spells can either be bought, or found. That would also have the effect of players trading and interacting, as not everyone will be able to use everything they find. Which could be good or bad, depending on how you look at it.
The problem with stat trees like that is that it
1. Becomes exponentially harder to balance
2. Removes the need for teamwork to use complex ability/magic setups.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6